• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    HA! You'd wish!

You didn't see them Sunday morning!

I had a hell of job kicking them all out and they ate two packets of bacon and drank all my tea! slant

Double what i said before then biggrin

Girls Aloud are partying at my place this Saturday and your NOT invited! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007 edited
    NP: Back at the Chicken Shack - Jimmy 'The Cat' Smith (1960)

There are few instruments I despise as much as I do the Hammond organ...and yet even here we have the exception (and what an exception!) that defines the rule: Jimmy Smith is an absolute jazz maestro on the thing and gives it a swing and pizzaz I've never heard before.
    You haven't lived until you've heard his take on Elmer Bernstein's Walk On The Wild Side (which incidentally is not on this album, which is quite enjoyable as well, even though it's not with big band but rather a smaller combo)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007
    You don't like Hammond Organ? rolleyes You'll be telling me you don't like Haddock and poached egg next!? wink

Jimmy Smith isn't called "The Incredible" for nothing but he's not the only great Hammond player, however I WON'T be telling you who they are. tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yikes!!
    Tom rolleyes
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Ride of the Valkyries-Wagner

This is a recording with Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra and also includes other overtures of his opera work. I think it is important for anyone interested in golden age film music to have something like this in your collection. This is who many of the original group of composers that found their way to Hollywood learned from. By listening to Wagner you can hear his influence on composers such as Korngold and Steiner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote

This is a recording with Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra and also includes other overtures of his opera work. I think it is important for anyone interested in golden age film music to have something like this in your collection. This is who many of the original group of composers that found their way to Hollywood learned from. By listening to Wagner you can hear his influence on composers such as Korngold and Steiner.

...and Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007 edited
    sdtom wrote

Ahhhhh the sumptuous feast that is Wagner lick

Unfortunately I can only handle a couple of mouthfuls and I'm FULL! spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Simple Things - Zero 7

Absolutely gorgeous album without a single bad track on it cool

The only downside is that I keep hearing various tracks continuously used in various TV programs etc.....I'd hate it to become another Moby's Play slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007 edited
    NP: OTHELLO - Elliot Goldenthal

I'm loving it a lot more then on my first listen a while ago. This is brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: It Might As Well Be Swing: Billy May

What Billy did on these classical melodies was arrange them for a rocking big band! Included are selections such as "The Poet and the Peasant Overture" and "Dance of the Hours" His arranging of the saxes is what made him somewhat unique.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007 edited
    NP: A compilation from Naxos-Cinema Classics 2007

This is a yearly thing that Naxos puts out. I am going to bring a copy of this to work tonight and let my boss see if he can guess the 12 selections on the CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    NP: Dreams-Sergey Prokofiev

This is a work that was written right around the time that Rachmaninoff composed his Isle of the Dead and the style (bleakness) is very similiar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Could you please expand a bit more on the "bleakness" of those works, Tom? It interests me! How are they? (tone, style, instrumentations etc).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Could you please expand a bit more on the "bleakness" of those works, Tom? It interests me! How are they? (tone, style, instrumentations etc).

Are you very familiar with Rachmaninoff and Prokofiev D?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I am very familiar with both Prokofiev and Rachmaninoff, having numerous CD's, LP's, and cassettes in my collection.

As far as "Isle of the Dead" is concerned I have (10) different recordings in my collection. It was written about the Bocklin painting Isle of the Dead which is exactly as it sounds. There is a rowboat coming toward the island with a coffin and a white figure. The piece is written in E minor (pretty sure) and the woodwinds, cellos, and double bass all begin in the low register and it slowly builds to a crescendo with references to Dies Irae and then it slowly returns to its beginnings. A 20 minute work written during the last third of Sergei's compositions in 1909. The recording you choose would depend upon which other work you'd want with it. I could recommend the RCA recording The Reiner Sound, an older but fine example of the Chicago Symphony/Reiner.

"Dreams", along with "Autumnal Sketches" are early Prokofiev works and can be likened to the same style as "Isle of the Dead". "Dreams" begins in the low register with an 8 note scale repeated. It sends a small shiver through your spine and continues. He makes excellent use of the oboe, an instrument that when played in a minor key as you know depicts sadness. "The Autumnal Sketches" is even more atmospheric than "Dreams" but as I stated earlier the overall adjective bleakness applies. There is a Naxos recording that couples these two works (18 minutes total) with his 1st and 2nd Symphonies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    thanks! punk
  1. NP: Difficult To Cure - Rainbow

"Maybe Next Time", an instrumental track off the album is great to listen to on headphones, and was a B-side to "I, Surrender" (I think). I've not heard this one for years.

:nostalgia:
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. BobdH wrote

I'm loving it a lot more then on my first listen a while ago. This is brilliant!

One of my very favourite concert hall works. The 'Tarantella' is breathtaking.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Natalie Merchant - Ophelia

A truly sublimely brilliant album from 1998 which I'm revisiting after a long absence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    BobdH wrote

One of my very favourite concert hall works. The 'Tarantella' is breathtaking.

Indeed; OTHELLO is one of Goldnethal's most amazing works for sure, overall, but i'd also recommend his FIRE, WATER, PAPER: A VIETNAM ORATORIO. Top stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The topic about "The Isle of the Dead" and "Dreams" is definitely one that can be talked about on my goldenscore website smile . I might not be as "hip" as many of you on this newer material but the older stuff is my bag.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The topic about "The Isle of the Dead" and "Dreams" is definitely one that can be talked about on my goldenscore website smile . I might not be as "hip" as many of you on this newer material but the older stuff is my bag.

There's hip people here?

Amongst film music fans!!? shocked spin

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Nut Rock=hip
    Lyra=dull
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Nut Rock=hip
    Lyra=dull

Whose Lyra Tom? I'm not hop enough to know that wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Np:Eye In the Sky (Alan Parsons)

I remember the sadest love story i had...So Im a little bit stupid to play it.

I noticed the lyrics....thanks for make me grow as english Speaker!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    "Lyra" is the song from Golden Compass sung by Kate Bush (?). It is likely to be a hit as it has already been nominated for a Golden Globe. Just not my kind of music.
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    The aforementioned FIRE WATER PAPER by Goldenthal is nothing short of a f***ing masterpiece. Easily one of the most haunting, dramatic listening experiences I can think off.

Right now I'm listening to LINKIN PARK (Minutes to Midnight) though. I'm feeling a bit down and needed something a little more aggressive than anything orchestral.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And you went for LINKIN PARK? Man put something like MACHINE HEAD or SLAYER in or something! wink

FIRE WATER PAPER: A VIETNAM ORATORIO is - imo - his most complex and accomplished work to date, next to FINAL FANTASY : THE SPIRITS WITHIN. I like the former so much more than the - otherwise excellent - OTHELLO which seems to be getting the most praise. How do you compare it with Othello, Pete?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Np:Eye In the Sky (Alan Parsons)

I remember the sadest love story i had...So Im a little bit stupid to play it.

I noticed the lyrics....thanks for make me grow as english Speaker!

Simply put, one of the best pop albums of all time!!

Speaking of which:

NP: FREUDIANA (Eric Woolfson/Alan Parsons)

Next to CHESS, this is one of my favourite musicals that maintain some of the classic APP vibe (Woolfson wrote most of the APP songs anyway). Great stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    Well... Linkin Park is about a loud and shouty as I can take. Anything more than that... I can't stand.
    I would normally go for a Killers CD, but I've played so darn often, that I just needed something else.