• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Except that while other composers did try to follow (Copland did also) it never really had the musical acceptance of Stravinsky.

Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    NP : THE LARK ASCENDING - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Beyond words beautiful.

Anyone here watch BBC 2's 'The Culture Show' on Tuesday where this piece was discussed by famous violinists? An eye opener that gave me even more respect ( if that's possible ) for a piece that I consider one of the greatest in our history.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    NP : THE SCYTHIAN SUITE - Serge Prokofiev

Barbaric awesomeness! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    NP: Symphony No. 7 - Gustav Mahler

One of my favorite symphonies by him! Amazing and brilliant in every way! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008 edited
    THE DEFINITIVE Burt Bacharach SONGBOOK

A wonderful 2 CD set of Bacharach classics, the majority from his collaborations with long time lyricist Hal David. A fantastic collection of some of the worlds most classic songs sung by the likes of Aretha Franklin, Tom Jones, Dusty Springfield, Dionne Warwick, The Walker Brothers, The Drifters, The Pretenders, Elvis Costello and many more.

Perfect Sunday listening. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    NP : THE ESSENTIAL Philip Glass

One of those taster albums. No point in recommending this unless your a Glass fan because you'll already have the pieces featured on other albums.

I like Glass so I'm enjoying this. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    NP : SCREAMADELICA - Primal Scream

Brilliant blend of Rave / Rock, I'd forgotten how great this band are it's been so long since I've played this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Somehow I don't think this would be my cup of tea Tim! But I'm happy for you anyway.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

He's happy for you, I'm happy for you. We're all happy for you Timmer!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

He's happy for you, I'm happy for you. We're all happy for you Timmer!

uh....okay! kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    NP: KISMET...Alexander Borodin. This one is performed by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops. Kismet included music from his two symphonies, string quartet no. 2, prince igor, in the steppes of central asia, and petite suite. The suite was arranged by Kunzel. The CD also includes Bolero and Carmen.
    Tom smile
  1. sdtom wrote
    Except that while other composers did try to follow (Copland did also) it never really had the musical acceptance of Stravinsky.

Tom smile

For sure, but try he did, as did so many.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Piano Concerto - Edvard Grieg

Got this for my last birthday. Great stuff! I had originally seen my local orchestra perform this in concert, and was blown away. The third movement is by far my favorite of the three. biggrin punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STARS END - David Bedford

An old favourite of mine, music that is perfect as a description of the infinite void of space. The Royal Philharmonic conducted by Vernon Handley with Mike Oldfield on electric and bass guitars ( believe me, it works, boy does it work! ), I'd be intrigued to know how many here at this board would enjoy this? It would not be everyones cup of tea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008 edited
    NP: Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection" - Gustav Mahler

Some really sweet melodies here! This work has been a great inspiration for my compositions, particularly the last movement. Great music! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    NP : CANTO OLYMPICO - Mikis Theodorakis

Fantastic work written for the Barcelona Olympics in 1992, truly rapturous and I know D agrees with me! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    Symphony No 7 - Beethoven

I don't know if I heard a snippet of it on tv or something but I've had this running through my head for two days and had to listen to it. I think a Vienna Philharmonic recording of this (and the 4th) conducted by Bernstein was the first classical CD I ever bought and it's still one of my favourites.
  2. NP: White Ghost Dancing (Ross Edwards)

An album containing several of Edwards' serenely jubilant works. He's one of Australia's finest composers. Works included: 'White Ghost Dancing', 'Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra', 'Mountain Village in a Clearing Mist', 'Chorale and Ecstatic Dance' and the haunting 'Veni Creator Spiritus'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: White Ghost Dancing (Ross Edwards)

An album containing several of Edwards' serenely jubilant works. He's one of Australia's finest composers. Works included: 'White Ghost Dancing', 'Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra', 'Mountain Village in a Clearing Mist', 'Chorale and Ecstatic Dance' and the haunting 'Veni Creator Spiritus'.

Sounds interesting Michael, more info?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Symphony No 7 - Beethoven

I don't know if I heard a snippet of it on tv or something but I've had this running through my head for two days and had to listen to it. I think a Vienna Philharmonic recording of this (and the 4th) conducted by Bernstein was the first classical CD I ever bought and it's still one of my favourites.

I absolutely love # 7, my favourite LVB work cool
  3. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Some notes by Edwards on these pieces:
    White Ghost Dancing - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=78
    Veni Creator Spiritus - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=35
    Chorale and Ecstatic Dance - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=16
    Mountain Village - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=21
    Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=14l
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A Sense Of Purpose In Flames

Their new 2008 album. Probably not everyone's cup of tea! This is an awesome album though, much more melodic than their previous albums and the singing isn't so much reliant on screaming. This is the kind of In Flames I've been waiting for! lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Some notes by Edwards on these pieces:
    White Ghost Dancing - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=78
    Veni Creator Spiritus - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=35
    Chorale and Ecstatic Dance - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=16
    Mountain Village - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=21
    Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra - http://www.rossedwards.com/?page_id=14l

I'm going to look into this. Thanks Michael smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Probably not my cup of tea Steven but this morning I'm having strong black coffee with a shot of cocoa mix anyway.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Fantastic work written for the Barcelona Olympics in 1992, truly rapturous and I know D agrees with me! cool

So true my friend and i completely agree with you although it saddens me to continuously discover (not in here, just through some discussions i had) how little it is known to the world.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

So true my friend and i completely agree with you although it saddens me to continuously discover (not in here, just through some discussions i had) how little it is known to the world.

It took me ages to find out where that music came from. I remember watching the closing ceremony of the 92 Olympics with Theodorakis music playing and being blown away by it but not being able to find any information out at all. I had to wait for the advent of the internet.
  4. Sash!

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

I loved it ten years ago... And I'm still loving it... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2008
    NP: Autumn Legend...William Alwyn

This work is right up my alley! It is written for string orchestra and cor anglais and is a wonderful haunting and quite atmospheric work.

Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Autumn Legend...William Alwyn

This work is right up my alley! It is written for string orchestra and cor anglais and is a wonderful haunting and quite atmospheric work.

Tom smile

yeah that's a lovely work Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FELT MOUNTAIN - Goldfrapp

Gorgeous cool