• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SPARTACUS & GAYANEH ( Ballet Highligts ) - Aram Khachaturian

Wonderful stuff performed by the LSO conducted by the composer. cool

Everyone knows that Horner "cribbed" from Gayaneh for his title music to ALIENS ( 'Invention' ) but for no prizes whatsoever who can tell me what other famous piece from the ballet ( The most famous piece from it ) is strongly referrenced ( very, very strongly ) in a 1960's film score by a golden age Hollywood composer?

I'm sure Tom will get this in an instant wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008 edited
    Morecombe & Wise meet Andre Previn and the LSO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNYUJIW4sw&NR=1

Grieg would roll in his grave wink

The look on Previn's face at the 2.14 mark is priceless biggrin cool

With thanks to a post at FSM.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Morecombe & Wise meet Andre Previn and the LSO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNYUJIW4sw&NR=1

Grieg would roll in his grave wink

The look on Previn's face at the 2.14 mark is priceless biggrin cool

With thanks to a post at FSM.

Hilarious! lol
  1. RHAPSODY - Symphony Of Enchanted Lands punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    NP: Das Lied von der Erde - Gustav Mahler

Great work, with a really awesome melody (and trumpet fluttertonguing!) in the opening movement. biggrin Oh, and the soloists are pretty good, too. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    NP : TOURIST - Saint Germain

Excellent modern jazz, very melodic with some truly catchy tunes punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    NP: Zero 7

Not any particular album but a self-made compilation of my favourite tracks. Man, these guys have produced some fantastic stuff - perfect for listening to at this hour.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    LSH wrote
    NP: Zero 7

Not any particular album but a self-made compilation of my favourite tracks. Man, these guys have produced some fantastic stuff - perfect for listening to at this hour.

cool

Absolutely, seriously love the first two albums, particularly 'Simple Things' but not so keen on the third one. What do you reckon Lee?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Oh definitely, they certainly peaked with Simple Things. Not a bad track on that album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who are they and how do they sound?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bat Out Of Hell II - Back Into Hell - Meat Loaf
    High Drama on the High Cs. biggrin
    It's the Vincent Price of rock performing songs written by Stan Lee of pop music. A guilty pleasure, to be sure with melodrama and power chords galore. More than its fair share of pretense, but a number of tracks still lingering in the mind for an above-average length of time with I'll do anything for love (but I won't do that) still the highlight.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who are they and how do they sound?

Sophisticated chill out music, it's sort of akin to Moby's 'Play' in that I hear tracks from the album used a lot in TV shows, dramas etc and it's everybit as enjoyable as that album.

This is my rating for it punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What kind of instruments used? Any strings in it? What kind of general mood? smile
  2. NP: Etudes (Pierre Schaeffer) and Prophecies of the Serbian Village Kremna (Arsenije Jovanovich)

Two of the works that come to mind when I think of musique concrete. I'm finding this stuff, music made up entirely of real noises manipulated electronically, very compelling for some reason. (The latter work appears throughout The Thin Red Line's sound design.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Martijn wrote
    Bat Out Of Hell II - Back Into Hell - Meat Loaf
    High Drama on the High Cs. biggrin
    It's the Vincent Price of rock performing songs written by Stan Lee of pop music. A guilty pleasure, to be sure with melodrama and power chords galore. More than its fair share of pretense, but a number of tracks still lingering in the mind for an above-average length of time with I'll do anything for love (but I won't do that) still the highlight.

Meat Loaf & Jim Steinman are the kings! Love all three of the Bat out of Hell albums. Bat 3 is a return to his glory days, but it's not quite up there with 1 & 2. I consider these to be 2 of my favorite rock albums ever. I remember my dad bought the record from Bat 1 (and he ain't no rock fan) and I would listen to it like crazy when I was a kid. punk

Martijn have you seen his Melbourne concert backed with a full orchestra on DVD yet? It's simply stunning, and even if his voice sounds off sometimes (I preferred his vocals on the albums), his relentless energy along with the other singers and musicians all deliver a truly fantastic show.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    What kind of instruments used? Any strings in it? What kind of general mood? smile

Yes there are strings in the album. It's very much of it's own sound but it certainly wouldn't be jarring if you played this between Moby, Air, Royksopp and the like......and, dare I say, It's BETTER than ALL of those.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    NP : THE CLOUD MESSENGER - Gustav Holst

Not as well known as The Planets, obviously, but still a great worthwhile work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes there are strings in the album. It's very much of it's own sound but it certainly wouldn't be jarring if you played this between Moby, Air, Royksopp and the like......and, dare I say, It's BETTER than ALL of those.

Sweet, thanks mate; sounds very like something i'd enjoy indeed. Oh and as for assuming something's better than Moby, that's not a toughy mate; the man s**** biggrin beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Sweet, thanks mate; sounds very like something i'd enjoy indeed. Oh and as for assuming something's better than Moby, that's not a toughy mate; the man s**** biggrin beer

Well, I really like Moby's 'Play' album even though it's been overused in films / TV etc. Zero 7 don't sound like Moby, just has that similar kind of chilled vibe.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    NP : THE BEST OF - Earth Wind & Fire

Funky, Funky, Funky! punk

The tracks Boogie Wonderland and September seriously cook ass, brass backing to equal James Brown cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    Moby's 18 is even better (though that's certainly been overused in films and TV series as well) and I do really like the songs on Hotel!
    Commercial?
    So what?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Moby's 18 is even better (though that's certainly been overused in films and TV series as well) and I do really like the songs on Hotel!
    Commercial?
    So what?

Commercial has never equalled 'bad' in my book. 18 is a good album imo but 'Play' is the first one I bought and has always held a special place for various reasons.

Have you heard any of Zero 7's albums Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    I haven't, no, Tim. Though I plan to do so in the very near future!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008
    An American In Paris George Gershwin

Having just watched it played by the BBC Concert Orchestra at the proms (on TV), I couldn't resist hearing it again

Would go so great with a classic-style episode of Tom & Jerry!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

Having just watched it played by the BBC Concert Orchestra at the proms (on TV), I couldn't resist hearing it again

You're probably right!? I LOVE classic Tom & Jerry cool

And you gave me an idea to play something I haven't played for a very long time.

NP : RHAPSODY IN BLUE - George Gershwin

A classic classic cool
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    Robert Folk's Lawnmower Man 2
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

You're probably right!? I LOVE classic Tom & Jerry cool

And you gave me an idea to play something I haven't played for a very long time.

NP : RHAPSODY IN BLUE - George Gershwin

A classic classic cool

Such a great talent that had so many great things ahead of him, if it wasn't for a brain tumor (if I recall correctly?).

I've been listening to The Dark Knight a lot recently, and watching the Proms last night has shifted my mood into better things:

Russian Easter Festival Rimsky-Korsakov

Ahhh, that's better! cool Russian music is awesome, Tchaikovsky being one my favourite "classical" composers, along with (of course) Vaughan Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    tjguitar wrote

WRONG THREAD! Booooo! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Many times American in Paris and Rhapsody in Blue are on the same CD.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008
    Thor wrote
    tjguitar wrote

WRONG THREAD! Booooo! wink

I say string him up by his sweetbreads, cover him in honey and release the giant bees.