• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    NP : SINFONIETTA - Leos Janacek

Very good and accessable music from this Czech composer, those who are British and old enough will recognise a repeated brass fanfare statement that was used as the theme for TV series Crown Court.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    NP: Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges

One of the finest acoustic guitarists there ever was. This is an excellent album - very relaxing.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Symphonies 1 and 5 Prokofiev (Eugene Ormandy: Philadelphia Orchestra)

Just listening to a bit of Prokofiev in 'preparation' for tomorrow's Prom. cheesy

cool Let us know what it was like?

I'm no reviewer, so: Yeah, it was awesome. cool
  1. Don't forget Steve Reich!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Symphonies 1 and 5 Prokofiev (Eugene Ormandy: Philadelphia Orchestra)

Just listening to a bit of Prokofiev in 'preparation' for tomorrow's Prom. cheesy

cool Let us know what it was like?

I'm no reviewer, so: Yeah, it was awesome. cool

"Awesome"?

One word review accepted! biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: SERGEY PROKOFIEV...Scythian Suite. It was this work in particular that gave him the reputation of an iconoclast. Yet keep in mind the same man also composed Peter and the Wolf & Lieutenant Kije. This is quite a contrast in style.
    Thomas cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    NP: SERGEY PROKOFIEV...Scythian Suite. It was this work in particular that gave him the reputation of an iconoclast. Yet keep in mind the same man also composed Peter and the Wolf & Lieutenant Kije. This is quite a contrast in style.
    Thomas cheesy

You shoulda seen Alban Gerhardt playing the cello last night at the proms performing Prokofiev's Symphony-Concerto for cello! shocked (No, not the last night of the proms. biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    NP: SERGEY PROKOFIEV...Alexander Nevsky.
    A film score of epic proportion. This is a masterpiece. The recording I'm now listening to is Jarvi conducting the Scottish National Orchestra with chorus.
    Thomas smile
  2. Are you listening to the Cantata, Tom, or to the full score? I love both. (Previn's LSO recording of the Cantata is the one I know best.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Are you listening to the Cantata, Tom, or to the full score? I love both. (Previn's LSO recording of the Cantata is the one I know best.)

It's Jarvi, it's the Cantata.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas cheesy

You shoulda seen Alban Gerhardt playing the cello last night at the proms performing Prokofiev's Symphony-Concerto for cello! shocked (No, not the last night of the proms. biggrin )

cool It don't get much better than Prokofiev.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Are you listening to the Cantata, Tom, or to the full score? I love both. (Previn's LSO recording of the Cantata is the one I know best.)

It's Jarvi, it's the Cantata.

yup!
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: SERGEY PROKOFIEV Peter and the Wolf

An interesting recording in that the narrator is Lina Prokofiev who speaks with an English accent. A little bit of history.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.chandos-records.com/default05.asp?refresh=0
    That is the set I'm talking about with Prokofiev. They also offer the high quality downloads.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    http://www.chandos-records.com/default05.asp?refresh=0
    That is the set I'm talking about with Prokofiev. They also offer the high quality downloads.
    Thomas smile

Looks like an excellent set, I'll be checking it out.

NP : SCENES FROM "MER DE GLACE" - Richard Meale

A very good, evocative concert work based on Shelley's Frankenstein.

Michael, just wondering if you've ever heard of Australian composer Meale?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: THE PRODIGAL SON...Sergey Prokofiev

This was a ballet that Sergey thought the choreography was less than but it actually enjoyed great success in Paris and London. This is more of the melodic side of Prokofiev.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008 edited
    NP : DANCES - Malcolm Arnold

24 short pieces based on traditional folk song from English, Scottish, Cornish, Irish and Welsh. It's surprising how many pieces are very familiar in the orchestral form that Arnold has adapted them into.

A gorgeous work and well recommended.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 4 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Anyone expecting lush pastoral beauty to emenate after pressing play will be in for one helluva shock. At this moment I can't think of a single piece of music, classical or film, that starts off with anywhere near the violent ferocity of this symphony.

Stylistically this is very similar to John Williams Attack On The Helicopter from JAWS 2 which gives you a fair idea of what to expect.

BTW, The symphony is BRILLIANT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm listening to it too, it seems to be a day of reminders from other people! Great symphony indeed, ferocious stuff.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jezus, I'd forgotten how awesome this symphony is. shocked
  3. Timmer wrote

The name rings a distant bell, but off the top of my head I can't think of any of his works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

The name rings a distant bell, but off the top of my head I can't think of any of his works.

But surely you're friends with Skippy the bush kangaroo and Rolf Harris?
  4. I was once taught by the actor who played the father from SKIPPY, Tony Bonner, so I'm only one degree of separation off on one of those. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Steven wrote
    Jezus, I'd forgotten how awesome this symphony is. shocked

Absolutely! And dare I say it, just a little bit neglected by myself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

I only have the one CD by him but judging by the quality I'd like to hear more.
  5. NP: Albertine - Brooke Fraser

An amazing and lovely singer/songwriter from New Zealand.
  6. Filmscoregirl wrote
    NP: Albertine - Brooke Fraser

An amazing and lovely singer/songwriter from New Zealand.

She has a very lovely voice, Brooke. Her songs tend not to work so well when others sing them, which I think says something about her unique sound. (Though I've never met her, she actually goes to my church.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DIAMOND DOGS - David Bowie

Great album cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Symphony No. 7 "Sinfonia antartica"...Vaughan Williams

Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Symphony No. 7 "Sinfonia antartica"...Vaughan Williams

Thomas smile

Whose version Tom?