• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007
    NP: Magic Fire-Richard Wagner/Korngold

This is strictly a collector item piece. There is nothing original, its in mono, the sound and editing are below average but it is Korngold's last work so the collector would want that. But I'd say $25.00 should be pocket change for you.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007 edited
    sdtom wrote
    "Lyra" is the song from Golden Compass sung by Kate Bush (?). It is likely to be a hit as it has already been nominated for a Golden Globe. Just not my kind of music.

I haven't heard it?

Kate Bush is one of the most inventive and innovative female pop singers of all time.

I'm a big fan cool

Tom, Kate also did vocals on Kamen's Brazil score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007 edited
    i heard nothing out of the ordinary on this one
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007
    NP: TALK (Yes)

Trevor Rabin is real creative force behind this 1994 album, so it's kinda film music-related. But I bought it because of the song "Walls" that he co-wrote with one my big heroes, ex-Supertramp lead singer Roger Hodgson.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007
    sdtom wrote
    i heard nothing out of the ordinary on this one

Like I said Tom, I can't comment till I've heard it?

Is it based on Desplat's score?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is a song Timmer written for the exit credits for the film. I would have much rather heard the main theme/secondary themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: The Firebird Suite-Stravinsky

This is part of this huge (22) CD set I got such a good price on. And it is Stravinsky conducting the Columbia Symphony Orchestra from 1960. The Firebird is probably the most accessible piece that Igor wrote. If you want to start with something, this is it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: Dance Preludes / Concertino for Clarinet and Orchestra / Clarinet Concerto (Wittold Lutoslawski / Matyas Seiber / Howard Blake)

Performed by Thea King on solo clarinet, with The English Chamber Orchestra conducted by both Howard Blake and Andrew Litton. I love woodwinds! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007
    NP: The Planets-Holst

This is a London Phase Four Stereo recording with Herrmann conducting. Its an LP I'm transferring for a friend. I have far better recordings in my collection. A lot more excitement and vibrancy. Herrmann must be tired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: The Planets-Holst

This is a London Phase Four Stereo recording with Herrmann conducting. Its an LP I'm transferring for a friend. I have far better recordings in my collection. A lot more excitement and vibrancy. Herrmann must be tired.

I haven't heard the Herrmann recording for a very long time Tom, as I remember his Neptune is very good but his Mars is too slow, one of the worst, if not The worst version I've heard?!

My favourites are Dutoit and Karajan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Theme and Variations for Two Pianos and Orchestra from the Go-Between-Legrand

I really think this was the place to post this even though it came from a movie. It is a concert work that adapted the theme into 10 variations. While my classical friends refer to it as an exercise for an 8 year old piano student I find it most rewarding to listen to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Theme and Variations for Two Pianos and Orchestra from the Go-Between-Legrand

I really think this was the place to post this even though it came from a movie. It is a concert work that adapted the theme into 10 variations. While my classical friends refer to it as an exercise for an 8 year old piano student I find it most rewarding to listen to.

Legrand is a superb jazz pianist who is more than capable of complexity.

It's the wonderful simplicity of the Go-Between that makes it so good, a gorgeous listen that I'd recommend to everyone. cool
  1. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    "Lyra" is the song from Golden Compass sung by Kate Bush (?). It is likely to be a hit as it has already been nominated for a Golden Globe. Just not my kind of music.

I haven't heard it?

Kate Bush is one of the most inventive and innovative female pop singers of all time.

I'm a big fan cool

Lower the expectations. 'Lyra' is not a very good song. Particularly coming after such a good score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Michael and I concur on Lyra.
  2. NP: 'Night of the Flying Horses' (Osvaldo Golijov)

shocked

This is GOOD stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007 edited
    NP: Antar Suite-Rimsky-Korsakov

This is a historical recording on the old Richmond/London label (#R23203). Sometimes known as his second symphony (incorrectly) it is yet another wonderful tone poem from the master of the orchestra.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'Night of the Flying Horses' (Osvaldo Golijov)

shocked

This is GOOD stuff.

Is this a concert work? Tell me more please Michael? wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

shocked

This is GOOD stuff.

Double please? wave

NP : KIND OF BLUE - Miles Davis

Probably my favourite Davis album, so laid back and perfect night listening. cool
  3. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

shocked

This is GOOD stuff.

It's the first of a set called 'Three Songs' that Golijov did with Dawn Upshaw. It was released on his album 'Oceana'. The piece starts with Upshaw singing against gentle strings for three minutes, then the pace starts to pick up...
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Thor wrote
    NP: TALK (Yes)

Trevor Rabin is real creative force behind this 1994 album, so it's kinda film music-related. But I bought it because of the song "Walls" that he co-wrote with one my big heroes, ex-Supertramp lead singer Roger Hodgson.

What I really like about this music is the sound production- quite amazing. My favorite piece is the 15 minutes opus one. Like in the good old days of Yes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    "Blue in Green" is one of my favorite tracks. The unbeatable combination of Coltrane, Davis, and Evans was really special.
  4. NP: Loreena McKennitt - An Ancient Muse

Probably her best album ever. If you never heard stuff from her, do it, and find out what was missing in your life. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    Just Played: The Christmas Album - Jimmy Smith

Jazz virtuoso Jimmy "The Cat" Smith takes his hammond and big band to re-interpret some Christmas goodies (and create some new ones) to great effect. Fantastic Cool Jazz versions with a swing that really rocks the old Christmas tree. Heartily recommended to jazz fans in any season|!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    "Blue in Green" is one of my favorite tracks. The unbeatable combination of Coltrane, Davis, and Evans was really special.

You know your stuff Tom cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Just Played: The Christmas Album - Jimmy Smith

Jazz virtuoso Jimmy "The Cat" Smith takes his hammond and big band to re-interpret some Christmas goodies (and create some new ones) to great effect. Fantastic Cool Jazz versions with a swing that really rocks the old Christmas tree. Heartily recommended to jazz fans in any season|!

Never heard it? Sounds interesting though!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    NP : HERGEST RIDGE - Mike Oldfield

An old favourite, superbly played and with great choir and orchestration.

Just finishing....'night sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Symphony No. 5 in E Minor, Op. 64-Tchaikovsky

This is the symphony with the famous horn solo in the second movement an an andante cantabile. The cantabile came from one of his string quartets and is widely popular in classical music circles.
  5. NP: Within Temptation - The Silent Force

I like the ballads most, due to the fantastic orchestrations... Pale, Somewhere and The Swan Song are absolutely breathtaking
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AERO (Jean Michel Jarre)

Superb remixes of his classic tunes - by Jarre himself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FANTASIA ON A THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS (Ralph Vaughan Williams)

Glorious stuff.
    I am extremely serious.