• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    Thor wrote
    NP: FANTASIA ON A THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS (Ralph Vaughan Williams)

Glorious stuff.

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What is the best recording of this Fantasia?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote

This Fantasia? Don't tell me you haven't heard it? shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote

This Fantasia? Don't tell me you haven't heard it? shocked

Oh, don't worry, Tom knows it alright.

My favourite would be Sir Adrian Boult's recording Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    NP : FINLANDIA - Jean Sibelius

One of those pieces of music that I was familiar with from such a young age and is still a favourite now, gorgeous! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What is it coupled with Timmer?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    What is it coupled with Timmer?

A LOT!

It's part of an 8 CD box set of Sibelius complete symphonies and includes other great works like Kullervo, Swan Of Tounela etc conducted by Paavo Berglund.
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: AERO (Jean Michel Jarre)

Superb remixes of his classic tunes - by Jarre himself.

I might have to hunt this one down soon.

I was listening to tracks from Chronologie the other day - and I'll always consider this as a return to "classic Jarre" after his somewhat whacky experimental stuff (some of which I wasn't too keen on).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007 edited
    NP : FACE THE MUSIC - Electric Light Orchestra

Ahhhhh some 1970's nostalgic greatness! cool

The opening instrumental track Fire On High sounds like it could have come from a Horror film, very spooky indeed. Evil Women, Strange Magic & Nightrider are the great highlights for me.

p.s. regarding Fire On High, I believe this was one of those albums Church leaders denounced for having hidden satanic messages recorded backwards......now just WHERE is that laugh out loud Icon?

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was wondering what the Fantasia was coupled with? I have a Beecham recording but its not stereo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: AERO (Jean Michel Jarre)

Superb remixes of his classic tunes - by Jarre himself.

I might have to hunt this one down soon.

I was listening to tracks from Chronologie the other day - and I'll always consider this as a return to "classic Jarre" after his somewhat whacky experimental stuff (some of which I wasn't too keen on).

Well, Jarre is always keen to explore new arenas and experiment. It usually goes in phases. For example, a couple of years ago, he did two very intimate and personal projects that were very experimental and "ambient" in style (SESSIONS 2000 and GEOMETRY OF LOVE), but then he returned this year with a classic studio album (TEO & TEA) that was more in line with the usual, melodic electro-pop style we know so well. I like this dynamic.

CHRONOLOGIE has its ups and downs as an album (some of the faux-dance tracks are a little cheesy, esp. the one with the organ...can't remember the number off the top of my head), but I really like those delicate, Pet Shop Boys-inspired tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    NP: Symphony No. 1, Op. 13 "Winter Reveries"-Tchaikovsky

This was an excellent first effort for Tchaikovsky. The recording I'm listening to goes back to 1966 and for years was the recommended set of recordings to purchase. Its Markevitch and the London Symphony Orchestra put out on the Philips label
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I was wondering what the Fantasia was coupled with? I have a Beecham recording but its not stereo.

I can't find the CD right now Tom but I believe it's coupled with some works by Elgar plus RVW's 'Greensleeves'.

Other favourite versions are Leopold Stowkowski and Sir John Barbirolli.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 1980's Homemade Compilation - Various Artists

Loads of great stuff on here by the likes of Level 42, Heaven 17, Depeche Mode, Blondie, The The, Duran Duran, U2, Queen and lots more cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds like a cool sampler, Timmer.

NP: ANOTHER WORLD (Paul Oakenfold)

A great 2CD program from the DJ maestro that even incorporates a few film music tunes (from BLADE RUNNER and THE INSIDER, for example).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Music From Mr. Lucky-Henry Mancini

This was from the late 50's, a television show, and showed the further versatility of this talented composer. This was done after Peter Gunn but before Breakfast at Tiffany's. Great orchestrations!
  2. NP: 'Tenebrae' by Osvaldo Golijov

Grave, beautiful chamber string work in two movements from the Argentine.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Argentine?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'Tenebrae' by Osvaldo Golijov

Grave, beautiful chamber string work in two movements from the Argentine.

lick
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

EIGHTIES? shocked
    The horror. The Horror.

<Sits in corner softly mumbling the lyrics to Yazz' [i]The Only Way Is Up to self>[/i]
    Man, I'm traumatized.... sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007 edited
    It´s Loreena McKennitt again. She can be so christmassy... smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

EIGHTIES? shocked
    The horror. The Horror.

<Sits in corner softly mumbling the lyrics to Yazz' [i]The Only Way Is Up to self>[/i]
    Man, I'm traumatized.... sad

You prefer another decade? wink

....and please don't remind me of the horrible Yazz song which I now have to exorcise from the turntable in my head with.....

NP : The Best Of - Curtis Mayfield

Move On Up punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007 edited
    NP: English Folk Song Suite-Vaughan Williams

This was originally written for military-band somewhere around 1920. In 1923, one of his students Gordon Jacob, orchestrated it for symphony. It is not Xmas music but quite festive full of all sorts of tunes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007 edited
    I just couldn't resist the pull of this most sublime of works....

NP : FANTASIA ON A THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS - Ralph Vaughan Williams

IMO amongst a top 5 best pieces of music ever written with a spirituality and depth that goes beyond religion.

This version is conducted by the brilliant Sir John Barbirolli who had such a feel for RVW's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    I too am listening to the same piece as Timmer. My recording is from the soundtrack Master and Commander/The Far Side of the World. It is performed by The New Queen's Hall Orchestra Barry Wordsworth conducting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For anyone interested I found this guide on the Tallis piece
    http://www.agentsmith.com/rvw/guides/tfguide.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    For anyone interested I found this guide on the Tallis piece
    http://www.agentsmith.com/rvw/guides/tfguide.html

Wow! shocked

A bit of a Twilight Zone moment there Tom, I listened to the piece again this morning and googled that exact same information which I was just about to post here on this thread.....even weirder is that I KNEW it was the same info BEFORE I clicked on your link....

Coincidence? dizzy wink

Hey Thor wave Check it out, it's very in-depth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Verklarte Nacht, Op. 4-Arnold Schoenberg

For anyone who wants to be introduced to Arnold this is likely the work to start with. As some of you know he was the one to have further developed the twelve-tone system to artistic heights. He hated the word "atonal" arguing that his music did have tones just no tonic center as a traditional piece from Brahms or Wagner had, two composers Schoenberg studied at length. The translation of the piece is called Transfigured Night a poem by Richard Dehmel. It is written in D Minor as much of his work was. Berkshire Outlet, who I have done business with and can recommend 100% has a version on clearance for only $2.99. Telarc is a well above average label.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www2.broinc.com/search.php?broco … filter=all

a link to their site.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MESSE À L'USAGE DES PAROISSES (Francois Couperin)

Wonderful organ music, performed by Michel Chapuis in the 60's. This CD is the first of 30 in this fantastic set that I got for Christmas: http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic … 80,00.html
    I am extremely serious.