• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    NP : FELT MOUNTAIN - Goldfrapp

My favourite non-score album of this century......though the fact it has so much film music influence ( Barry, Morricone, Rota ) probably has something to do with it cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    NP : CANTO OLYMPICO - Mikis Theodorakis

Big, joyous and wonderful! punk cool

And still on beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Piano Concerto, Op. 30-Rimsky-Korsakov

This is one of his least known works but it is championed by Jeffrey Campbell the pianist and he really does quite a competent job. It only runs 17+ minutes in length.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KING ARTHUR (Henry Purcell)

A brilliant semi-opera from the previously-mentioned 30CD-box from Harmonia Mundi. There are actually a couple of tracks from this on the RESTORATION soundtrack as well (with a wonderful score by James Newton Howard). Performed by The Alfred Deller Consort & Choir.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

And still on beer

COULDN'T AGREE MORE! Right on mate! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

And still on beer

COULDN'T AGREE MORE! Right on mate! beer

There was talk on the board some time back about which film composers would make for a good film biography, we all had fun suggesting who should be cast in the respective roles?!

Of ALL film composers, Theodorakis life would be by far the most interesting and viable for filming, wouldn't you agree D?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007 edited
    Completely. Theodorakis is a living musical and political legend, especially here in Greece, there's a lot of info and stories, achievements and awards along with a huge range of work from symphonic to jazz, from rock to popular Greek music and even deeply experimental atonal stuff and even symphonic songs that have been deeply connected with the history of the Greek nation and people. Theodorakis was even a war prisoner and in exile for several years, few people outside Greece know this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MATTHÄUS PASSION (Johan Sebastian Bach, performed by La Chapelle Royale, Collegium Vocale Ghent, dir. Philippe Herreweghe)

What a glorious piece of music! Two fantastic CD's from the same set I've been talking about for a few posts now. Many hints of the religious sound I love so much, at least a variation of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Looks like a good set you have there Thor!

NP : THE PINES OF ROME - Ottorino Resphigi

Fabulous epic music conducted by Herbert Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic cool
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: MATTHÄUS PASSION (Johan Sebastian Bach, performed by La Chapelle Royale, Collegium Vocale Ghent, dir. Philippe Herreweghe)

What a glorious piece of music! Two fantastic CD's from the same set I've been talking about for a few posts now. Many hints of the religious sound I love so much, at least a variation of it.

In school I was a member of my school´s choir and orchestra, which, combined with our school´s house church´s choir and orchestra, always strifed for fantastic pieces to perform. We spend two years to prepare Bach´s Matthäuspassion and then made a concert tour. We performed in Assisi, Florence and Rome, and it was a hell of ride to be a part of that. This piece is a massive work, and its chorals are just breathtaking. If you like that, you should listen to Bach´s missa in H-minor, which we also did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    DONNER UND BLITZEN!
    Mwahaa!
    Great stuff!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Compilation - Madness

Loads of great fun tunes from the nutty boys, One Step Beyond, Our House, Michael Caine, My Girl, Return Of The Los Palmas 7, The Prince and so many more.

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : The Cream Of - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel

Come Up And See Me ( Make Me Smile ), Judy Teen and the oh so deliciously creepy Mr. Soft cool

Gawd blimey guv, great innit! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NUITS D'ÉTÉ (Hector Berlioz)

Heartfelt songs performed by Birgitte Balleys and the Orchestre des Champs-Élysées under Philippe Herreweghe again (see above).

And as I typed this, straight over to...

NP: EL AMOR BRUJO (Manuel de Falla)

Certainly more temperamental!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Rubber Soul - The Beatles

Great album cool

Were The Beatles overrated? No! Only Paul McCartney tongue cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BERLINER MESSE (Arvo Pärt)

Quite intense, as the music revolves around the same chords all the time (with minor variations), but interesting.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Fabulous epic music conducted by Herbert Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic cool

Have you seen this music as used in the FANTASIA 2000 thingie (accompanying flying whales and whatnot)?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Have you seen this music as used in the FANTASIA 2000 thingie (accompanying flying whales and whatnot)?

I haven't. I'm only familiar with the original Fantasia.

Is it worth a watch?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, it's certainly worth a watch, although nowhere near the classic that the original is. Some sequences are too "Disney"-fied.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Yes, it's certainly worth a watch, although nowhere near the classic that the original is. Some sequences are too "Disney"-fied.

Thanks! I'll "steal" this off my mates 6 year old cheesy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Lucky for us then he's been dead for some time then. christmas_drunk

NP: La Boule Noir - Morcheeba
    Acoustic set, but as addictive a psychedelic trance rock set as anything they did before. I really like this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Lucky for us then he's been dead for some time then. christmas_drunk

NP: La Boule Noir - Morcheeba
    Acoustic set, but as addictive a psychedelic trance rock set as anything they did before. I really like this.

Morcheeba are very good!

Macca is DEAD?

Excellent! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    NP : NICE WEATHER FOR DUCKS - Lemon Jelly

Barking! But addictively brilliant....love it cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007 edited
    NP : STARS END - David Bedford

Minimalist work for full symphony orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley includes Mike Oldfield on Bass and Electric guitar.

One of my most played albums, would be easy to sequence with 2001 A Space Odyssey.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    NP : Symphony # 9 'The New World - Antonin Dvorak

Better know to some as Ridley Scott's famous 'Hovis' commercial wink

Great stuff! Just fini and g'night wave sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007
    We played a 15 minute band arrangement when I was in high school. Its a great piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008
    NP: Latin-American Symphonette-Morton Gould

This is an American composer who gets very little press. It is an older Citadel recording CTD 88130 that I really enjoy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008
    NP : Lyle Mays

Self titled album from Pat Metheny's pianist and co-composer. Lovely melodic instrumentals played with virtuosity.

My favourite track is the 14 minute Alaskan Suite which is very evocotive in conjuring snowy landscapes and Northern Lights. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008
    NP : THE ANTIDOTE - Ronny Jordan

Excellent jazz funk from brilliant guitarist Jordan, his version of the great Miles Davis track So What is my all time favourite.

Ace! punk
  2. NP : Systematic Chaos - Dream Theater

Latest album of my newfound favourite progressive metal band. Funny how until a few months ago I didn't know these guys even existed. Then I started listening to Scenes from a Memory.... Wow, what a revelation. Now I'm a converted fan!

How can I listen to this noise, you ask? Well, under all the incredibly chaotic guitar work and insane percussion, there lie great melodies sung by an exceptional vocalist, accompanied by innovative keyboard backing it all up. Dream Theater rocks big balls, but it's not for everyone. My poor brother I wanted to introduce to DT, but he just fled in disgust!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.