• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2008
    NP : WE LIVE HERE - Pat Metheny Group

Pure class! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BROKEN CHINA (Richard Wright)

Wonderful, ethereal solo album by the Pink Floyd keyboard wiz. Should appeal to film music fans.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: BROKEN CHINA (Richard Wright)

Wonderful, ethereal solo album by the Pink Floyd keyboard wiz. Should appeal to film music fans.

Sounds interesting Thor?

I'll have borrow this from a friend of mine who has it. Unusually he's never mentioned anything film music like about this album and he's normally quick to point these things out?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, it has to do with the long instrumental parts and the "moodiness" of it all, I guess. It's less rock and more melancholic pop. Do indeed borrow it from your friend!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PETITE MESSE SOLENELLE (Gioacchino Rossini)

Beautiful, melodic messe by the famous opera composer. Hints at the religious sound here and there. Unorthodox performance with piano, accordion and big choir. Lovely.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. lol

I read "beautiful, melodic mess" for a while biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lol

I read "beautiful, melodic mess" for a while biggrin

He, he....yeah, I forgot that the English word for messe is mass. :D
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Well, it has to do with the long instrumental parts and the "moodiness" of it all, I guess. It's less rock and more melancholic pop. Do indeed borrow it from your friend!

I will do, I'll hopefully remember to give some feedback on it too.

NP : AH UM - Charlie Mingus

Brilliant cool
  2. @ Rihanna: Play Umbrella loud. Very loud. Then return here and confess that you were blown away. You do not have to like it, but you will admit that the sound fabric is fantastic...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    @ Rihanna: Play Umbrella loud. Very loud. Then return here and confess that you were blown away. You do not have to like it, but you will admit that the sound fabric is fantastic...

Cheers Ralph! slant

I've got that godawfulfriggintune running around my head now crazy
  3. Yes! I rule supreme!!! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 6 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

One of my favourite RVW symphonies, a powerful, violent and yet so poignant work.

This version is by Richard Hickox and the LSO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    NP : BLOOD SUGAR SEX MAGIK - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Some proper rock n' roll, just what I want right now! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    What should I try next in terms of classical music?
    Perhaps some more Tchaikovsky...
    Kazoo
  4. Tell us what do you know then smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tell us what do you know then smile

Yeah, sorry. I recently posted something here baout it though.
    Anyway, answer to your question = not much. wink

I recently listened to some Vaughan Williams and Tchaikovsky's the Nutcracker.

I'm just back from the library. Got myself some various cd's of Tchaikovsky (1812 Overture, Romeo & Juliet, Symphony No. 5, The Seasons, Grande Sonata) and one of Shostakovich (Symphony No. 5 as well, and Symphony No. 9 in D fucking Minor spin ) I've no idea if the're good, but well, randomness is my world.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tell us what do you know then smile

Yeah, sorry. I recently posted something here baout it though.
    Anyway, answer to your question = not much. wink

I recently listened to some Vaughan Williams and Tchaikovsky's the Nutcracker.

I'm just back from the library. Got myself some various cd's of Tchaikovsky (1812 Overture, Romeo & Juliet, Symphony No. 5, The Seasons, Grande Sonata) and one of Shostakovich (Symphony No. 5 as well, and Symphony No. 9 in D fucking Minor spin ) I've no idea if the're good, but well, randomness is my world.

I'd almost recommend anything by Shostakovitch. But above all I'd seriously recommend his Symphonies #'s 7 and 11.....mind blowing!

Did you enjoy the Vaughan Williams Bregt? Have you heard much else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    I'd almost recommend anything by Shostakovitch. But above all I'd seriously recommend his Symphonies #'s 7 and 11.....mind blowing!

Thx! I'll look for that the next time.

Did you enjoy the Vaughan Williams Bregt? Have you heard much else?

I enjoyed mostof the work i have here. I startedto recognize his style a bit after listening to a compilation Steven made a long time ago, but hadn't listened to it very carefully. My favourite piece still is that Thomas Tallis Fantasia. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's good to hear pal cool

Here's another work that I would beseach you to listen to ( if you've never heard it? ) and I'm playing it right now...

NP : THE SCYTHIAN SUITE - Sergei Prokofiev

This version is by Simon Rattle and the Birmingham Symphony. The whole piece is split into four movements and only last about 20 minutes but oh boy what a 20 minutes they are! It's one of those works that I would always recommend to people who might not really know classical music but love film music as this whole work sounds like a film score....and a fantastic one at that!
  5. Bregt, about the V Symphony by Shostakovich. What do you think of the Largo? Does it remind you of something? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bregt, about the V Symphony by Shostakovich. What do you think of the Largo? Does it remind you of something? biggrin

I don't know... shame
    Should I?
    Kazoo
  6. Have you heard Patriot Games and/or Clear and Present Danger?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    NP: The Golden Age (complete ballet), Op. 22-Shostakovich

This is a grammy nominated recording of the entire ballet by Jose Serebrier and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Have you heard Patriot Games and/or Clear and Present Danger?

Ah, nope. I heard very short the Willow theme though, in the last part.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    Le Coq D'Or-Rimsky-Korsakov

Got out the old LP's again and I'm listening to a mono recording conducted by Ernest Ansermet. A polished orchestra with the right tempo.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Serenata Notturna In D Major, K.239 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I'm not a great fan of Mozart ( okay, I'm a charlatan ), but this is very pleasant and most enjoyable right now cool

Conducted by Herbert Von Karajan and the Berlin philharmonic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    ALIVE 2007 | daft punk

This is uch a great cd. A live performance recording that jumps from one climax to the other, bringing all their greatest music and famous cues (I don't like the word 'hits'). Some power after study!

YEAH! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008
    Symphony #7 "Antarctica"-Ralph Vaughan Williams

My recording is Slatkin with the Philharmonia Orchestra on RCA. Superb! As many of you know this is the score for Scott of the Antarctic.
  7. Bregt wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Have you heard Patriot Games and/or Clear and Present Danger?

Ah, nope. I heard very short the Willow theme though, in the last part.

Compare Shostakovich's last part to Horner's Achilles Theme in Troy.

Give me your mail address on PM, I'll mail you the respective pieces from Clear and Present Danger.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Symphony #7 "Antarctica"-Ralph Vaughan Williams

My recording is Slatkin with the Philharmonia Orchestra on RCA. Superb! As many of you know this is the score for Scott of the Antarctic.

cool

Tom, my favourite versions are Bernard Haitink's and Sir John Barbirolli's ( the latter many consider THE best version ). I'm still waiting for Richard Hickox's version with the LSO which will finally complete his excellent cycle of RVW's symphonies.