• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    Now you got me Erik.....no....I haven't, but I want to!

What label is it on?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

What label is it on?

http://www.amazon.com/Kilar-September-S … B0007MSUP8

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    There are far better concert works to get FIRST, before you go to contemporary / film composer's concerts works wink smile

Well, some of my favorite concert works are by film composers... especially Michael Kamen dipping into the unfamiliar with his sax and electric guitar concertos. Or Elfman's bizzare yet highly entertaining Serenada Schizophrana, Lee Holdridge's GORGEOUS Violin Concerto and Scenes of Summer, John Barry's Beyondness of Things and Eternal Echoes, Christopher Gordon's Circa or Bass Trombone Concerto etc. But yes, I am looking to expand my horizons. I have a good chunk of classical in my collection... it's just getting the nerve to play them that's the issue.

Anyway, I will be going back to THIS THREAD more often for recommendations and will be viewing this thread more often for additional recommendations and inspiration.

-Erik-

That's because they're closer to film music smile It's pretty logical.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

What label is it on?

-Erik-

Hard to say from such brief clips but I'm going to order it.

You MUST check out the Exodus piece though Erik.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    There are far better concert works to get FIRST, before you go to contemporary / film composer's concerts works wink smile

Well, some of my favorite concert works are by film composers... especially Michael Kamen dipping into the unfamiliar with his sax and electric guitar concertos. Or Elfman's bizzare yet highly entertaining Serenada Schizophrana, Lee Holdridge's GORGEOUS Violin Concerto and Scenes of Summer, John Barry's Beyondness of Things and Eternal Echoes, Christopher Gordon's Circa or Bass Trombone Concerto etc. But yes, I am looking to expand my horizons. I have a good chunk of classical in my collection... it's just getting the nerve to play them that's the issue.

Anyway, I will be going back to THIS THREAD more often for recommendations and will be viewing this thread more often for additional recommendations and inspiration.

-Erik-

That's because they're closer to film music smile It's pretty logical.

Well, film music was inspired by classical music so if it's pretty logical that I like the contemporary works then why the turn off of the classics?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Film music was born as the natural continuity of the late Romantic era, especially Wagner and the Russian composers of the era. Maybe by classical you literally mean the classical era from which film music much later drew some inspirations and elements and purely stylistically it's logical than the former might turn you off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Film music was born as the natural continuity of the late Romantic era, especially Wagner and the Russian composers of the era. Maybe by classical you literally mean the classical era from which film music much later drew some inspirations and elements and purely stylistically it's logical than the former might turn you off.

Maybe its the light fruity stuff I continuous hear on classical radio that turns me off. Do-tee-do-tee-do... listen to how serious and arrogant we are... Fla-dee-da-dee-da.

Maybe the late romantic era is the place for me. I don't know.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Maybe its the light fruity stuff I continuous hear on classical radio that turns me off. Do-tee-do-tee-do... listen to how serious and arrogant we are... Fla-dee-da-dee-da.

Maybe the late romantic era is the place for me. I don't know.

-Erik-

Of course my friend; listen, i am even BORED TO DEATH with that fruity stuff you mention , with very few exceptions. Listen to some Sibelius music, for instance, I am sure you'll find it at least interesting; THE SWAN OF TUONELA, for instance. Or Wagner's orchestral works might be your style? And definitely Puccini's operas or music from the Russian "THE FIVE", , i.e. César Cui, Modest Mussorgsky, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and Alexander Borodin and perhaps Tchaikovsky.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited
    "perhaps Tchaikovsky"....perhaps!???? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh ya... I'm going to get this one off my chest right now. I CAN'T STAND OPERA! No no no no no no no! suicide If I want to hear opera I have to see that shit live! It makes absolutely no sense to me on its own. I mean, there's a radio program airing here on Saturday's that broadcasts live from the Metropolitan Opera in New York. It makes no sense to me. dizzy

Whew!

-Erik-

PS - thanks for the recommendations, Demetris. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok then, listen to SIBELIUS smile Forget about the opeara. And yeah, i take back the "perhaps" from Thcaikovsky; you'll love his works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

What label is it on?

-Erik-

Hard to say from such brief clips but I'm going to order it.

You MUST check out the Exodus piece though Erik.

EXODUS....there, that's the last time I'll say it.

Also, looking through your classical list I see you already have a reasonably healthy selection, particularly Prokofiev and Vaughan Williams, as regards RVW, I would recommend skipping the Sea Symphony, it might well put you off discovering the rest of the great man's music, you'lll hear a lot of where John Williams influences come from listening to RVW but not in a direct Horner like way, I've heard John Williams sound like Vaughan Williams many times but I've never heard John Williams stealing from RVW. Of his symphonies I would say the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and particularly ( because it's adapted from his film score ) the 7th are the most accessable, some truly magnificent music to be found here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Also, looking through your classical list I see you already have a reasonably healthy selection, particularly Prokofiev and Vaughan Williams, as regards RVW, I would recommend skipping the Sea Symphony, it might well put you off discovering the rest of the great man's music, you'lll hear a lot of where John Williams influences come from listening to RVW but not in a direct Horner like way, I've heard John Williams sound like Vaughan Williams many times but I've never heard John Williams stealing from RVW. Of his symphonies I would say the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and particularly ( because it's adapted from his film score ) the 7th are the most accessable, some truly magnificent music to be found here.

beer

To the library I go... :superman:

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009 edited
    NP : BLOW BY BLOW - Jeff Beck

One of the very best purely instrumental rock albums ever. punk cool

( okay, so I know there aren't that many 'purely instrumental rock albums out there but so what?....EXCELLENT! )
  1. Timmer wrote

What label is it on?

A really good piece, September Symphony. Also Missa pro pace.

Erik - Exodus is indeed amazing and inspired Howard Shore in LotR - you'll notice the resemblance when you hear it beer
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009
    I'm working on another Gliere piece. Perhaps I'm a Russian at heart!!!
    thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aa comrade Tom beer ( and just imagine saying 'I'm A Russian at heart' at an earlier point in American History spin )

NP : ALEXANDER NEVSKY - Sergei Prokofiev

No comment needed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009
    Timmer wrote

Just purchased this (320k MP3) via Classics Online. Can't wait to listen to it!

-Erik-
  2. Tell us what you think smile

Haven't listened to it for years, actually. Haven't listened to any classical music for quite a while, actually. Will amend it soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tell us what you think smile

Haven't listened to it for years, actually. Haven't listened to any classical music for quite a while, actually. Will amend it soon.

Ooooooh baby! Just finished it and got the exact same feeling when I first spun Kilar's Koenig Der Letzten Tage Simply outstanding! That Bolero-like rhythm is GREAT! I love how the piece starts off slow, quite and really simple with the timpani and tamborine keeping beat and that infectious theme on clarinet. It slowly builds and builds while additional textures are added. The full symphony orchestra comes in - the main theme is always present but never wares out its welcome. And then the chorus kicks in... and to quote the liner notes... the piece ends "in a mood of wild elation."

Thanks Timmer for the recommendation. An essential purchase!

-Erik-
  3. Have you noticed the similarity to Shore's fellowshit?
  4. Fellowship, lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009
    Smooth. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Have you noticed the similarity to Shore's fellowshit?

Not really.

-Erik-
  5. The whispering choir. Was it Bridge of Khazad Dum or A Journey in the Dark?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Have you noticed the similarity to Shore's fellowshit?

I'm sure glad I didn't just have a mouthful of drink then.... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tell us what you think smile

Ooooooh baby! Just finished it and got the exact same feeling when I first spun Kilar's Koenig Der Letzten Tage Simply outstanding! That Bolero-like rhythm is GREAT! I love how the piece starts off slow, quite and really simple with the timpani and tamborine keeping beat and that infectious theme on clarinet. It slowly builds and builds while additional textures are added. The full symphony orchestra comes in - the main theme is always present but never wares out its welcome. And then the chorus kicks in... and to quote the liner notes... the piece ends "in a mood of wild elation."

Thanks Timmer for the recommendation. An essential purchase!

-Erik-

Pleased to be of service beer smile

I'm sure John Williams was influenced by the piece, have a listen to Schindler's Workforce, not a rip, but the mode and structure are very similar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I'm sure John Williams was influenced by the piece, have a listen to Schindler's Workforce, not a rip, but the mode and structure are very similar.

That cue immediately came to mind... especially since Kilar's piece was used in the trailer.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I feel I can say that most composers have been influenced by Bach.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm currently enjoying the piss out of Vaughan Williams' "Sinfonia Antarctica" and "The Wasps."

-Erik-