• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

Still my all time favourite Floyd album, a true classic and deservedly so, this is pure genius. cool

This album fills me with loathing and I can't listen to it. When I was at primary school (yes, that far back!!) we did one of those interpretive (?spelling) dance pieces in a schools competition using a track from this album and we had to listen to it time and time again.

As a consequence, I "hate" this album!

Sorry to hear that.

Nothing worse than being force fed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I always think of this experience as an example of how music can be so tightly associated with personal events in life - e.g., moments of grief, dramatic events. There's a certain song by The Cranberries that I have difficulty in listening to because I associate it with a bad car accident I had a few hours after hearing it.

But on the plus side there's the association I now have with the theme from The Shipping News that I spoke about on another topic.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've never heard it!!! Apparently since our tastes are somewhat similiar Alan I never will.
    tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. sdtom wrote
    I've never heard it!!! Apparently since our tastes are somewhat similiar Alan I never will.
    tom

biggrin

That's the thing though Tom, I may have liked it if I hadn't had the experiences I had when I was at primary school. But what I did go through means now that I can't listen to the piece without the references.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    Holst - The Planets.

(Neptune is seriously freaky during it's second half, hee hee)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    Can't sleep.
    Listening to a spot of Hot Club De France: oldtime Euro-jazz with Stephane Grapelli masterfully stroking the bosh and the incomparable Django Reinhardt on guitar.

No matter how cold it is outside, this music has the warmest aura of any sound I know.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Ebony Concerto-Stravinsky

The recording I am listening to is a very old one (1946) with Woody Herman and his Orchestra. It was written for Woody who premiered it at Carnegie Hall. It is an old Everest recording from my collection and as some of you might know they are not known for their quality! A nice bluesy piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    MOON may be PF's magnum opus, artistically (alongside WISH YOU WERE HERE), but THE WALL will forever be my favourite.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007
    December always gets me in an old jazzy mood for some strange reason.

NP: Tommy Dorsey: 1936-1937
    Love that tight big band swing with some fantastic crooning ballads in between.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    MOON may be PF's magnum opus, artistically (alongside WISH YOU WERE HERE), but THE WALL will forever be my favourite.

I know that Thor smile

I like The Wall but it's quite a way down on my list of PF albums, just above the Syd Barrett days and way above The Final Cut which IMO is the worst album of all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Can't sleep.
    Listening to a spot of Hot Club De France: oldtime Euro-jazz with Stephane Grapelli masterfully stroking the bosh and the incomparable Django Reinhardt on guitar.

No matter how cold it is outside, this music has the warmest aura of any sound I know.

cool

You've ( only just mind you wink ) restored my faith in your non film score music taste biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    December always gets me in an old jazzy mood for some strange reason.

NP: Tommy Dorsey: 1936-1937
    Love that tight big band swing with some fantastic crooning ballads in between.

This too cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Blow By Blow - Jeff Beck

Superb! cool

G'night sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Concerto in F- Gershwin

Not played nearly as much as Rhapsody in Blue the Concerto in F for solo piano and orchestra is a wonderful blend of jazz, blues and traditional classical form. Of note is the use of three percussionists plus 3 different sizes of timpani. The orchestral arrangement is well done and doesn't take a back seat to the piano at all, in fact both seem to get equal billing. The recording is on Everest #3405 and offers Knor on piano with Neumann conducting the Prague Symphony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    You've ( only just mind you wink ) restored my faith in your non film score music taste biggrin

So I'll better not be playing my All Saints CD in the near future then? shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What the deuce iis All Saints? confused
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NOT the London church. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekpyu6Qj … re=related
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

http://www.ilbaluardo.com/Cover/Audio/0 … 0Front.jpg

:inlove:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

And slightly (ever so slightly...) more film music related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2p2VJWN … re=related
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007 edited

You trying to pollute Tom!? angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Like you have our very good D ? shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

And slightly (ever so slightly...) more film music related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2p2VJWN … re=related

Oooohhh ....hang on a sec...

Mmmmmmmmmm lick cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

No worries, i have those videos on mute. Like i believe every other sane male over 13 should do as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

No worries, i have those videos on mute. Like i believe every other sane male over 13 should do as well.

Your a clever man Mr. D cool

p.s. I'll bet they're all mingers without make up?! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HA! You'd wish!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    HA! You'd wish!

You didn't see them Sunday morning!

I had a hell of job kicking them all out and they ate two packets of bacon and drank all my tea! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Spanish Guitar - (that other) John Williams

A collection of classical Spanish music and arrangement of Spanish folk tunes by this master of the acoustic guitar. I love this instrument. And I do so love it being played well. And Williams is good, especially in interpreting what may be my favourite regional musical flavour.
    Maybe I prefer the Romeros' interpreting the material over Williams doing it, but it's a very minor difference.

Right now, it's absolute musical bliss.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Spanish Guitar - (that other) John Williams

A collection of classical Spanish music and arrangement of Spanish folk tunes by this master of the acoustic guitar. I love this instrument. And I do so love it being played well. And Williams is good, especially in interpreting what may be my favourite regional musical flavour.
    Maybe I prefer the Romeros' interpreting the material over Williams doing it, but it's a very minor difference.

Right now, it's absolute musical bliss.

There was a time when the guitar player was more famous than the film composer, at least here in Britain.

That's changed some time ago now, though I've heard the odd comment like "oh, he plays guitar too?!" cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    HA! You'd wish!

You didn't see them Sunday morning!

I had a hell of job kicking them all out and they ate two packets of bacon and drank all my tea! slant

Double what i said before then biggrin