• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    NP : Symphony # 3 'Pastoral - Ralph Vaughan Williams

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    NP : There & Back - Jeff Beck

Probably the best purely instrumental rock album ever! punk

Sublime guitar work and superb keyboards coutesy of Jan Hammer cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    NP : Symphony # 7 - Ludvig Van Beethoven

Finishing and off to bed sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edvard Grieg | Peer Gynt Suite (The Karajan Gold collection)

Pure class.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    This thread is blasphemy!

Thou shalt only listen to scores!

Peter thumbs
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    NP: L’OISEAU DE FEU / LE SACRE DU PRINTEMPS / PERSÉPHONE (Igor Stravinsky, fremført av Michael Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony)

Superb performances and - obviously - music on this 3CD set, but the recording is too "low" so you have to turn the volume all the way up...and then the brass outbursts really shatter the speakers when they arrive. Much like the old RSNO rerecordings.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    NP: SCOUNDREL DAYS (a-ha)

Brilliant 80's electropop.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: L’OISEAU DE FEU / LE SACRE DU PRINTEMPS / PERSÉPHONE (Igor Stravinsky, fremført av Michael Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony)

Superb performances and - obviously - music on this 3CD set, but the recording is too "low" so you have to turn the volume all the way up...and then the brass outbursts really shatter the speakers when they arrive. Much like the old RSNO rerecordings.

Thanks for the pointer smile

NP : The Rite Of Spring - Igor Stravinsky

The Kirov Orchestra conducted by Valery Gergiev, I think you'd like this one a lot more Thor, Gergiev's Stravinsky recordings are amongst the very best I've ever heard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Scythian Suite - Sergei Prokofiev

Stunning work of ferocious barbarity that plays so much like a film score.

I used to have this on in the background years ago while reading Robert E, Howard's Conan books cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ohhhh those Russians cool

NP : Romeo & Juliet - Sergei Prokofiev

I expect many of you are familiar with this?

Utterly brilliant! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    NP : FELT MOUNTAIN - Goldfrapp

Brilliant! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: The Nutcracker Suite with Kunzel conducting the Cincinnati Pops. This is not a complete recording but it does have 73 minutes. I have a lot of recordings of this piece and might just listen to them all and come up with a favorite.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KARL JENKINS - the armed man : a mass for peace

What a gorgeous choral-orchestral work this is! shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : And God Created Great Whales - Alan Hovhaness

A stunning work that's so descriptive, could imagine this with footage of the giant mammals with a David Attenborough voice over.

Hovhaness music is amazing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    NP : Peer Gynt Suite - Edvard Grieg

Quite possibly my earliest memory of loving orchestral music is this timeless classic by Grieg which is just as lovely today as it was way back when. This version is conducted by Herbert Von Karajan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    NP : Pictures At An Exhibition - Modest Mussorgsky

One of THE great descriptive classic works with orchestrations by Maurice Ravel that are so important to our beloved film music to this very day.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    NP : INCANTATIONS - Mike Oldfield

I've always loved this, great instrumentation all played by Oldfield except for the orchestra and orchestrations by the brilliant David Bedford

D, I sent this to you a long time ago.....did you ever play it?
  1. Just Played: Fire/Water/Paper (Vietnam Oratorio - Elliot Goldenthal

Amazing non-film work by the man. Great orchestrations, very emotional, mostly tonal, to my surprise. Where is Grendel for God's sake?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSirCaledor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    I listened to Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 3 this morning (with Brendel piano and Simon Rattle conductor). The performance of the orchestra is great in this recording, Brendel is ok but can't compete with Ashkenazy (but then, who can?). I think the No. 3 is my fav of Beethoven's piano concertos (no, not No. 5 wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    NP : 12 Hours Of Sunset - David Bedford

Very minimalist work for full symphony orchestra and choir, quite something! cool

G'night y'all! wave

sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    NP: Suite No. 3 in G Major-Tchaikovsky

Going thru some of my higher quality metal tapes and I came upon this Tilson Thomas 1978 recording (LP) with the L.A. Philharmonic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007 edited
    NP : If This Bass Could Talk - Stanley Clarke

I love this album, pure class cool The opening track with Clarke on Bass and actor Gregory Hines ( rip sad ) tap dancing is a touch of genius. Also Clarke's version of the Mingus classic Goodbye Pork Pie Hat is sublime, a very Weather Report style arrangement which I think Mingus would have liked.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    NP : SECRET STORY - Pat Metheny Group

One of the most played albums that I have cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    NP: EVEN IN THE QUIETEST MOMENTS (Supertramp)

Prog-pop doesn't come much better than this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    NP: Le Coq D'Or- Suite-Rimsky-Korsakov

This is a suite of the orchestral music from his final opera (his 15th) written in protest against the Russo-Japanese war of 1905 but also the poor living conditions under Nicholas II.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Gustav Mahler - Symphony No 1 in D Major ("Titan") - Movement 4 "Sturmisch Bewegt"

The opening sounds almost like a John Williams action cue wink It is one of my favourite classical tracks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TRANS-EUROPE EXPRESS (Kraftwerk)

A classic album from the synth pioneers...and a kinda indirect tribute to the late Stockhausen.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

Still my all time favourite Floyd album, a true classic and deservedly so, this is pure genius. cool
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    np: Sawdust - The Killers

previously played: Serenada Schizofrena - Elfman
    next up: Hourglass - David Gahan
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

Still my all time favourite Floyd album, a true classic and deservedly so, this is pure genius. cool

This album fills me with loathing and I can't listen to it. When I was at primary school (yes, that far back!!) we did one of those interpretive (?spelling) dance pieces in a schools competition using a track from this album and we had to listen to it time and time again.

As a consequence, I "hate" this album!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn