• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    I have over 3000 soundtracks on CD. No downloaded MP3s. All CDs. I live in a very small house. Help me!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. sdtom wrote
    soundtrack collector lists over 44,000 titles. how many do you have?

On Soundtrack Collector I have listed 1850 entries. My OrangeCD database (that also includes titles not listen on Soundtrack Collector) lists 2750 (CDs, mp3s/wma files and a handful of LPs).

That amounts to about 80 days of continuous music.

I'm definitely now beginning to think that I can't keep this level of music going for much longer. As well as the practical consideration of cost, there's also the amount of time that I have to listen to the music - there's just not enough time! Long gone are the days when I would know a LP/CD inside out because it would get listened to time and time again.

But, everyone's enthusiasm for the new releases always lures me in.

If you had to curtail your volume of new music (regardless of whether you buy the music or just download) how would you go about selecting the music? For me I think that it would be selected composers and older re-releases...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If you had to curtail your volume of new music (regardless of whether you buy the music or just download) how would you go about selecting the music? For me I think that it would be selected composers and older re-releases...

Me, too. It would be torture though because I can easily list about 30 composers that would have to make that list, personally.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. I know deep down that the level of releases that there is nowadays is something that I can't hope to keep up with. There's so much good music that would fall outside my "selections" and I'm sure I'd want to have. I'm beginning to think that maybe downloads is a way to go from a financial point-of-view also: less costs per score as well as less costs for shipping.

If everyone would like to be less enthusiastic about all the music that's around then I'd be grateful.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If everyone would like to be less enthusiastic about all the music that's around then I'd be grateful.

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    I reached my saturation point some years ago, when I reached some 1000 CD's (film music and beyond). From then, I have almost quit buying new stuff completely, and rather SOLD OFF a bit. I want to have a collection I can live with, listen to, grow to appreciate, become familiar with. Orchestral music, in particular, requires LOTS of repeated listening due to all the details. I want to give it that chance and the time it needs for me to be properly acquainted with it.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    I reached my saturation point some years ago, when I reached some 1000 CD's (film music and beyond). From then, I have almost quit buying new stuff completely, and rather SOLD OFF a bit. I want to have a collection I can live with, listen to, grow to appreciate, become familiar with. Orchestral music, in particular, requires LOTS of repeated listening due to all the details. I want to give it that chance and the time it needs for me to be properly acquainted with it.

I'm beginning to come around to this way of thinking myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    This I'll have to ponder a bit but on the whole I've been more interested in the American Classic Series from Naxos than some of the new material available.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    That is not to say I don't get excited about older material. I just listened to an LP transfer of "In Harm's Way" from Goldsmith and found it to be quite good. But some of this new material is stuff I just don't understand.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Ahhhh, hold on: if we're also counting genres other than soundtracks, I can easily double that number!

I need to halve my collection...or at least a third of it, I've got far too much.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've got way too much material
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I has free storage.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Ahhhh, hold on: if we're also counting genres other than soundtracks, I can easily double that number!

I need to halve my collection...or at least a third of it, I've got far too much.

I'm not reducing anything, unless I really don't like it (any more).
    I love having options and choices. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'm not reducing anything, unless I really don't like it (any more).
    I love having options and choices. love

It's a case of not having much space.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I has free storage.

smile wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

MAKE SPACE!
    You don't really need a refrigerator, do you? Or a stove?
    And surely Mel can sleep on the sofa?
    In fact I'd swap the sofa for a milking stool.

See where a little creativity will get ya? It's all 'bout the priorities, ennit?
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

MAKE SPACE!
    You don't really need a refrigerator, do you? Or a stove?
    And surely Mel can sleep on the sofa?
    In fact I'd swap the sofa for a milking stool.

See where a little creativity will get ya? It's all 'bout the priorities, ennit?
    wink

Of course!!! wave<-- slaps head

Mel has a massive wardrobe filled with clouthes.

Empty the wardobe. Replace with CD's. Job done!

It may cost me my life but it will have been worth it. biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is getting funny now
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    *New sign on my stove*: "WARNING, do NOT turn on stove. May contain CDs."
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008
    I'll bet they smell!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008
    Smell-o-audio technology.

Their slogan:

"Now John Carpenter can produce soundtracks that actually stink!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008
    yikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Returning Waves/Karlowicz is completed and a fine work it is.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/11/28/r … karlowicz/

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Scorpio is being worked on now and will appear wherever Bregt wants it to go (MT, Golden Scores, ). There is a bit of controversy in the article.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    But now I got LW so my Scorpio is delayed
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    But now I got LW so my Scorpio is delayed

What is "LW?" confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Largo Winch
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm a Alexandre fan
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    Largo Winch

Ah, OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I get advance material sometime and I think this is as it came from the mastering company. Is it available?