• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/05/17/sirensgliere/

A piece worthy of exploring.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2009
    Look for a review on The Epic Film Music of Miklos Rozsa
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    Look for a review on The Epic Film Music of Miklos Rozsa

The old Silva compilation?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2009
    yes Thor
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    A new batch of recordings arrived today from Naxos. I'm listening to Great Movie Themes 2. Carl Davis conducts the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. A fairly typical Pops concert. However, they do perform one work from the conductor The French Lieutenant's Woman.
    Thomas
  1. sdtom wrote
    A new batch of recordings arrived today from Naxos. I'm listening to Great Movie Themes 2. Carl Davis conducts the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. A fairly typical Pops concert. However, they do perform one work from the conductor The French Lieutenant's Woman.
    Thomas

It must be written into his contract that he gets to do one of his own compositions in the selection. Excerpts from Davis' score Champions were featured in the first CD of this series.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    Perhaps, that is the case.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2009
    sdtom wrote
    The sound can't be duplicated and your really not experiencing the performance. I hear things that are not duplicated with the (0 & 1's). Keep in mind that I have thousands invested in my sound system and it doesn't hold a candle to the sound you experience from this church.

And yet with a set of proper (expensive) speakers and a proper (expensive) equalizer, the replication would be a piece of cake.
    Stravinsky was very wrong: each and every sound in each and every ambiance in the world can be completely faithfully recreated: the sheer physics of sound do no longer hold any secrest for us.

A very enjoyable evening!!!
    Thomas smile

Excellent! smile
    Me, I love church performances.
    Not because they sound better than a sound system (though obviously you'd have to have a pretty darn good sound system!), but because of the atmosphere and a shared experience.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2009
    Very much so Martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Has anyone heard the original Great Movie Themes/Carl Davis?
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Nope! What 'theme toons' is on it Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Some great movie themes!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Movie-The … p;sr=103-2
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Some great movie themes!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Movie-The … p;sr=103-2

Thanks Alan. Except for Davis own 'Champions', Spiderman and Forest Gump, it's the usual grab-bag of movie themes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2009 edited
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.572111

Personally, I found #12 Introduction and Cavatina from The Deerhunter to be really satisfying. This theme is one that you won't forget.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    Home stretch now on the Naxos movie music.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/g … composers/

Done!!! As with any compilation some will some won't.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    As with any compilation some will some won't.

Some will what? Some won't what? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Many collectors find compilations inadequate. A few of us enjoy them
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote

I'd say that a majority of film music fans welcome compilations... especially if they offer superior performances and sound, unheard arrangements, and maybe include a few previously unreleased cues.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009 edited
    In fact, many of my custom made mixes, be they on tape, CD-R or now on playlist, would qualify as compilations...albeit very personalized ones, of course.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

I'd say that a majority of film music fans welcome compilations... especially if they offer superior performances and sound, unheard arrangements, and maybe include a few previously unreleased cues.

-Erik-

Very true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

-Erik-

You could be right. The sales figures from Silva certainly indicate that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yay! You quoted. Good man. applause cheesy
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I don't think someone who loves music would really be interested in a compilation unless it offers something very rare or special. For instance having the composer selecting and conducting his/her own work, or some other great artist(s) offering inspired interpretations. Compilations are made for the percentage of record buyers that don't know what they want or just want to own a little bit of everything, like libraries and schools. They're custom made for the market. I've thrown out most of the compilations I bought when I was young and curious. The performances on all of them were mediocre at best, and the selections presented seemed more like commercialized sample discs than genuinely thought out listening experiences. Good riddance!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, compis bore me usually, except if they're GOOD RE-RECORDINGS by different orchestras / maestros / ensembles.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited
    markrayen wrote
    I don't think someone who loves music would really be interested in a compilation unless it offers something very rare or special.

That's an ODD way to put it. Looks like I don't love music then. slant

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009
    Sorry Erik for the poor formulation! smile

My knowledge of sound engineering is weak to say the least, so my post must seem inconsiderate to those who are knowledgable about, and appreciative of those aspects of performance. But, I think compilations are generally performed by mediocre orchestras who are unable to compete with the elite classical institutions, hence they turn to other, less competitive areas in search of fame and success. Thats my impression anyway. The Prague Philharmonic and Cincinnatti Pops do hold a certain quality, but what I've heard is not nearly good enough to compete with any OST recordings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    markrayen wrote

My knowledge of sound engineering is weak to say the least, so my post must seem inconsiderate to those who are knowledgable about, and appreciative of those aspects of performance. But, I think compilations are generally performed by mediocre orchestras who are unable to compete with the elite classical institutions, hence they turn to other, less competitive areas in search of fame and success. Thats my impression anyway. The Prague Philharmonic and Cincinnatti Pops do hold a certain quality, but what I've heard is not nearly good enough to compete with any OST recordings.

Not always. Better sound quality combined with a good performance is usually better than the original performance as a listening experience, especially if the original lacks in sound quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited
    markrayen wrote

My knowledge of sound engineering is weak to say the least, so my post must seem inconsiderate to those who are knowledgeable about, and appreciative of those aspects of performance. But, I think compilations are generally performed by mediocre orchestras who are unable to compete with the elite classical institutions, hence they turn to other, less competitive areas in search of fame and success. That’s my impression anyway. The Prague Philharmonic and Cincinnati Pops do hold a certain quality, but what I've heard is not nearly good enough to compete with any OST recordings.

First of all, I want to address the mediocre orchestra comment. Orchestras from mediocre to the finest have all re-recorded music... Orlando Pops to the London Symphony. One of the finest orchestras ever assembled (The National Philharmonic Orchestra) tackled the classic Gerhardt recordings and there are many, MANY performances on those albums that compete or completely obliterate the original soundtrack recording. And the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra is still one fine orchestras that too can compete with the finest orchestras in the world and perform up to the standards of the seemingly untouchable Hollywood Studio Symphony and improve on the original tracks. "Escape From Venice" from Last Crusade and the "Suite" from Star Trek II come to mind.

I think I need to re-introduce you to my Top 10 re-recordings of all time post I made at the old scorereviews.com. This list includes complete scores and compilations. You might want to check them out. Also check out THIS THREAD AT FSM for more suggestions.

---

- YO-YO MA PERFORMS THE MUSIC OF ENNIO MORRICONE (Ennio Morricone / Sony Classical / Ennio Morricone cond.) An absolutely brilliant album! Take the most popular cello player out there, re-arrange and re-orchestrate your music for solo cello performance and hear your music the way it has never been performed before. Familiar yet totally different! One of my favorite albums of all time!

- VERTIGO (Bernard Herrmann / Varese / Joel McNeely cond.) IMHO, the best re-recording of all time.

- IVANHOE (Miklos Rozsa / Intrada / Bruce Broughton cond.) This recording catapulted my interest of Rozsa into the stratosphere. Great sound, brilliant conducting and a wonderful performance.

- STAR WARS/CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (John Williams / RCA / Charles Gerhardt cond.) This album contains the best performance of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The 20 minute suite would be my all time favorite re-recording if it weren't for the Vertigo recording.

- THE STAR WARS TRILOGY (John Williams / Varese / Varujan Kojian cond.) The Star Wars trilogy concert versions have never sounded better and for a while two Return of the Jedi cues were recorded that weren't available anywhere else.

- MIKLOS ROZSA CONDUCTS HIS GREAT FILM MUSIC (Miklos Rozsa / Deutsche Gramophone / Miklos Rozsa cond.) Easily the best Rozsa compilation album! He conducts his own music including brilliant performances of Diane, The Thief of Baghdad and Tess... just to name a few. Too bad this is only available on LP but the sound quality is still stellar.

- THE GREAT FANTASY ADVENTURE ALBUM (Various Artists / Telarc / Erich Kunzel cond.) Another compilation but I don't think you'll find a better re-recorded film music compilation out there. This covers everything from the Golden Age; The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad to modern day scores; Jurassic Park and stuff you thought could never be re-recorded; The Terminator. Outstanding sound quality that tests the limits of your sound system, brilliant performances and dead on conducting.

- THE SEA HAWK (Erich Wolfgang Korngold / Marco Polo / William Stromberg cond.) This is the best recording from the Marco Polo/Morgan and Stromberg collaboration. We get the complete score, in brilliant stereo sound; performed by the fantastic Moscow Symphony Orchestra... what else could you possibly want?

- THE FILM SCORES (Bernard Herrmann / Sony Classical / Esa-Pekka Salonan cond.) A wonderful collection of Bernard Herrmann's best scores conducted by the master Esa-Pekka Salonan. There are two highlights - the suite from Psycho and the suite from The Taxi Driver. Wonderfully performed by the LA Philharmonic with fabulous sound quality.

- FRONTIERS (Jerry Goldsmith / Varese / Jerry Goldsmith cond.) A great compilation of Goldsmith's Sci-Fi music performed by The Royal Scottish National Orchestra. But the main reason I point out this album is for the brilliant performance of "The Enterprise" from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Rarely does a re-recording out do the original but in this instance Goldsmith has done this. The pacing, the performance, the sound quality... it all betters the original soundtrack recording. That splash of cymbals at the point when the Enterprise appears on screen has never sounded better or more powerful.

HONORABLE MENTION

THREE CHORAL SUITES (Miklos Rozsa / Telarc / Erich Kunzel) A labour of love for Erich Kunzel. Take three of the best choral film scores of all time, re-record highlights from each with The Cincinnati Pops and Mormon Tabernacle Choir, have it conducted by one of the best in the biz and what do you get... sheer bliss.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Cincinatti pops and Erich Kunzel albums contain material that is often equal or even better than the originals. The yo-yo-ma album which Erik mentioned is simply brilliant.