• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009
    Erik, thanks for the recommendations. But you must have mistaken my dislike to compilations for a dislike to re-recordings. That isn't the case at all. I have the highest respect for Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic, and the efforts of Morgan/Stromberg. I have several items on your list already and enjoy them thoroughly. That said, most of the items on that list are more or less complete representations of works and don't seem like compilations to me at all. I guess the very definition of the word "compilation" is what really needs some clearing up? And a quality release like the Salonen conducts Herrmann is extremely rare, and doesn't in itself convince me to withdraw my comments. Every time I see a compilation cover I incidently also smell something burning. Especially compilations that are released on budget labels like Naxos or Helios. I have the highest respect for your list however and don't doubt the quality of the titles I haven't heard, such as McNeely's Vertigo, or Gerhardt's Star Wars/Close Encounters. And I have to admit the Royal Scottish National is a world class orchestra!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited
    markrayen wrote
    I guess the very definition of the word "compilation" is what really needs some clearing up?

I mentioned in my post that my list contains both compilations and complete scores. I brought up re-recordings because you mentioned in your earlier post that you thought a majority of compilations are mostly recorded by mediocre orchestras. My goal was to point out to you that that isn't the case. While I do agree that there are some stickers out there a majority of compilation recordings are very good to outstanding!

If you have the time could you list some of the "compilations" that you dislike so much!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited
    Well, the thing is most compilations that are released on classical labels mainly consist of public domain recordings (of music mostly but not always by composers that have been dead for more than 75 years). That means there are no licensing fees to be paid for including that music on an album. So for that reason the compilation market is in its nature not designed to satisfy the expectations of someone who, as I chose to put it, "loves music". Its purpose to exist is so it can thrive on being the cheapest alternative. Thats explains my disapproving relationship to the compilation genre.

But you're certainly right in that there is great quality to be found out there, and your examples are probably all excellent. And remember I also said that a compilation can be interesting if it offers something "special" or "rare". But the percentage of low quality releases outweighs those of high quality in my own personal experience. But you're likely to be far more orientated in the market than I am, so I'll think about the points you made. smile

I could mention many compilations that exemplify my points, but frankly I'm a little embarrassed to admit I own them. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009
    Mark - I'm with you on the compilation albums as it pertains to music has whole. But I think if you look at it from a more specific film music point of view you will find a lot of quality and care in the presentation, recording and packaging of a film music compilation. On the flip side there will always be a "Best of Danny Elfman" or "Best of James Horner" compilation that tries to cash in on the popularity of the composer with a collection of below average recordings and one brand new recording of a recent score. And there will ALWAYS be another cheaply made Best of John Williams compilation but I think if you take the time to explore some of the albums I've mentioned and look for compilations produced quality labels featuring quality orchestras then I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

One such surprise for me was Varese's In Session 2 CD set featuring cues from their various re-recordings. While I own most of if not all of the tracks assembled on the album I still spin THAT particular album quite a bit. It's one of my all time favorite albums. Now, it would be easy for someone to say that that album was produced as a sampler for the general public but for me it was a brilliant assembly of some of the greatest music written for the silver screen that ANY film music fan would enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009
    Another classical piece worth exploring especially the symphony where visions of the silver screen can easily be conjured up.
    Thomas

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/p … 4giannini/
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009
    You're probably right Erik, I'd find a lot of quality if I looked in the right directions. After all I do have compilations that I very much enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/06/29/t … rkorngold/

My opinion of the new TFC release.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009
    Up next for me is a review of the Korngold Violin Concerto. This is a must have for any of you who have interest in Korngold.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009
    The review of Korngold is up on maintitles and my site.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/v … 5korngold/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009
    You do well Tom!

It's so cool to not add the reviews myself anymore. cool I'm sure you think that as well. smile
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote
    You do well Tom!

It's so cool to not add the reviews myself anymore. cool I'm sure you think that as well. smile

I sure think so biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009
    Except I goofed again. Got the [b] marks in the review. Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009 edited
    Each [ b ] tags needs to be closed Tom, with a [ /b ]. Just use the buttons, like you do in the forum when you want to put something in bold.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009 edited
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Perhaps the third time will be the charm
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    I find both Carl Davis albums on Naxos to be rewarding listens - the interpretations are good, quality of the recordings excellent and they both make for very nice listens, even though there are very little material on the albums that I do not already have in original recordings.

Often, as Tom points out, compilations like this can feel a bit "been there, done that" but I am still quite partial to hear new recordings of old material (especially if they come at Naxos price, and includes a couple of unheard pieces), and to me the same goes with film music as with classical music - a new interpretation gives new depth to a piece.
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    Oh, I noticed that I replied on things written on the 8th page of this thread... well, I'll let it remain as it comments something that happened before I was back here... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Manwe wrote
    Oh, I noticed that I replied on things written on the 8th page of this thread... well, I'll let it remain as it comments something that happened before I was back here... smile

I would be curious if Adam has had an experience with the Korngold Violin Concerto. I'm providing a link.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/v … 5korngold/

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009
    Oh yes Tom, I purchased that very recording earlier this week - a very fine one I might add. I have the earlier Naxos recording (with Vera Tsu and the Razumovsky Symphony) and I was never really satisfied with Tsu's technichally quite good but rather unpowerful reading of the very exhuberant concerto. This new recording reaches much higher levels, with Quint actually making a few technical mistakes in his playing, missing a few notes here and there, but still surpassing Tsu by far in terms of power and energy in the interpretation. A lovely concerto finally in a good budget recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yikes I had no idea he missed notes. I felt a certain understanding and feeling of the piece which his playing brought out.
    Thomas
  2. Nice to hear that from a musician's point of view smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It would be nice to listen to this recording with Adam for sure. That being said I really like the piece and Quint's performance.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    Yes, Quint's reading is a very good one and Korngold's concerto is one that really gains from a powerful, passionate reading. The few mistakes is really nothing and just proves the point I have been trying to make before in other situations: a passionate recording with an understanding for the piece wins over a 100 % correct one any day. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009
    I must agree Adam. Sometimes a technically perfect photograph, while nice, can be quite dull. One that is artistic, but having a flaw here and there, can be exciting.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009
    My point exactly! Good that we agree. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009
    I for one am so glad that you're back to posting again smile We had a lot of good times on Scorereview.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009
    While working on the new release from Gregg Nestor I took the opportunity to re-listen to the Salonen/LA Philharmonic Psycho Suite recording and just had to marvel yet again how good this recording was.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2006/09/26/h … lm-scores/

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    While working on the new release from Gregg Nestor I took the opportunity to re-listen to the Salonen/LA Philharmonic Psycho Suite recording and just had to marvel yet again how good this recording was.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2006/09/26/h … lm-scores/

Thomas

One of the all time best re-recordings/compilations out there.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    Indeed. I think that was my first Herrmann CD - a great introduction to his world and one that got me into buying a lot more of his works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009 edited
    Manwe wrote
    Indeed. I think that was my first Herrmann CD - a great introduction to his world and one that got me into buying a lot more of his works.

In some respects better than the original material. The orchestra and conductor had such a feel for the material.
    Thomas