• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR WARS : RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams

brilliant!

brilliant!

BRILLIANT!

Oh, and did I say...

BRILLIANT!

I wouldn't call it BRILLIANT. I'd just say it's a life changing goosebumps-inducing piece of art... but that's just me!! biggrin

I think it's about time I start spinning The Mighty Three again... spin spin spin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP: Kundun (Glass)

One of the greatest film scores (to me). Long before Glass 'got set' in a particular style of composition for films, he was still branching out here, being adventurous.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Steven, want to form a club of people who've been banned multiple times for unknown and uncontrollable reasons? We can have funny hats?

HATS!? I'm in. Shall I bring my Indy fedora?
  3. Don't tell that to Ridley Scott biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Panthera wrote
    WP: Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

A wonderful, uplifting score that deserves a release to the general public. This is probably my favorite Mark Isham score.

NP: Whispers of the Heart - Yuji Nomi

Another great score! It is a great companion piece to Fly Away Home, since they both are relaxing and bittersweet.

Agree, both are in my favorites! beer

Has anyone else here tried Nomi's scores yet? (Whispers of the Heart, The Cat Returns)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR WARS : RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams

brilliant!

brilliant!

BRILLIANT!

Oh, and did I say...

BRILLIANT!

I wouldn't call it BRILLIANT. I'd just say it's a life changing goosebumps-inducing piece of art... but that's just me!! biggrin

I think it's about time I start spinning The Mighty Three again... spin spin spin

Good man cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009 edited
    Sunshine - Maurice Jarre: Short but very good. Based on the title and the cover, I was expecting something different - a more romantic, lyrical score and I was surprised by the more martial themes. Reading the movie plot, I can see how the score fits, but it was just different from what I expected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind - Joe Hisaishi

First listen as an album. Interesting.

The main theme is amazing as always.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The White Masai - Niki Reiser

An emotional African-flavoured score with some particularly vibrant and colourful moments. Lovely stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: The White Masai - Niki Reiser

An emotional African-flavoured score with some particularly vibrant and colourful moments. Lovely stuff.

cool

!!! WANT!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    You'll love it! (I think).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hancock - John Powell

Just when I thought I found your best score of the year with Horton, Mr. Powell, you pull this on me? I really, REALLY enjoy this score and it has left a strong impression on me because I first heard it IN the film where is played flawlessly. Horton is the more inventive score but Hancock delivers the emotional punch. Not sure you could find two better cues this year than "Death And Transfiguration" and "The Moon And The Superhero." The only other two cues giving those two a run for their money are "The Axiom" and "Define Dancing" from Wall-E.

Superb film music, Mr. Powell. You had an extraordinary year, AGAIN!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I like Hancock, but it still falls below Horton, Panda and Stop Loss for his 2008 works on my list. The two cues you mentioned are two of the best Powell has ever written, but a large part of the score is quite standard and uninteresting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    ...but a large part of the score is quite standard and uninteresting.

I will disagree. I love the development of the Hancock theme throughout the score. Read my more in depth wink comments of the score HERE

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - John Powell and hans zimmer wink

Saw this movie last week and it absolutely blew me away. While Wall-E had the better story Kung Fu Panda's jaw-dropping animation was on showcase in this film. Where do I begin to praise this wonderfully entertaining work... from the more classically drawn Prelude to the mindblowing and imaginative Tai Lung's Escape, to the best scene with a dumpling I've ever seen to the action set piece, the Bridge Fight. There was stuff in this movie I had never seen before in a 3D animated film. Everything from the lighting to the textures to the movements of the characters... it all looked fresh. And I want to give a special award to the programmer who came with Oogway's "Parkinson's shake." Its the best way I can describe the little shake Oogway had. He was one of the best concived characters in the entire film. The amount of detal that went into his animation was nothing but short of stunning. As for the rest of the characters it was, like one of the producers put it, watching stuffed animals fighting each other... but, IMHO, that was just another stroke of genius. Make the characters look too real and your easily taken out of the movie.

And what can I say about the humor. The filmmakers had me hooked with the line "I see you like to chew. Then perhaps you should chew, ON MY FIST." It's so stupid that it's absolutely hilarious! And then there's the slow-mo. Slowing down the footage right after a solid punch is about as big of a cliche as you can get and in this movie it's done dozens of times and each time I was busting a gut! Slow mo "Aaaaaaaaargh's!" are golden in my book especially in this context.

As for the score, delightful. It's what I expected but it really shines at the end of the picture. The only issue I had with the score was "Tai Lung Escapes." Should have been much more darker, with more use of the lower brass. Growling trombones and tuba instead of the electric guitars, dance beats and out of place heroic trumpets. While the scene was outstanding to look at I think Powell and Zimmer missed the boat on the tone of the scene and who was actually making the escape. This is the bad guy folks. Make it more menacing. Besides that, fans of asian styled film scores will get a "kick" out of this one!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    "He's a panda. You're a panda?"

Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Right after the climactic fight between Po and Lung.

Po: Master! Shifu! Shifu, are you okay?
    Shifu: Po, you're alive. Or we're both dead.

ROTFLOL!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    KFP ranks at my 3rd or 4th best score of 2008 wink Really love the action cues and ethnic stuff! Lovely themes too.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm buying on blu-ray tonight then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    SP: Kung Fu Panda

Good lord this is entertaining! Damn you Powell, DAMN YOU! Why did you have to be so good this year!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Oh shit ya! If there is one film I want to see on Blu-Ray it's Kung Fu Panda!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    SP: Kung Fu Panda

Good lord this is entertaining! Damn you Powell, DAMN YOU! Why did you have to be so good this year!

-Erik-

Absolutely! 2008 has been a terrific year for Powell. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Oh shit ya! If there is one film I want to see on Blu-Ray it's Kung Fu Panda!

-Erik-

It is awesome in Blu-Ray. Like The Dark Knight with the IMAX shots! I mean, just... fuck. shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik mate, are you on steroids or something? You're even getting me more excited about Powell's work last year which even I only consider to be average for him! shocked biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Erik mate, are you on steroids or something? You're even getting me more excited about Powell's work last year which even I only consider to be average for him! shocked biggrin

Your lack of faith is disturbing.

HA! I said it for once! ME! Yeah, I'm awesome.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Your lack of faith is disturbing.

HA! I said it for once! ME! Yeah, I'm awesome.

You're banned. No more funny hat club for you! angry wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BACKDRAFT - Hans Zimmer

Quite possibly his best score IMO, the first ( and so far ONLY ) Zimmer score to blow me away!

Shame about the crappy 80's sounding pop tracks. Hornsby Schmornsby.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Spitfire Grill - James Horner

One of the first scores I bought when I began to discover Horner's music. It's just a lovely lovely score - so gentle and relaxing.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    You'll love it! (I think).

Are you anyhow familiar with Yvan Cassar's work?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.