• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Me neither. Must be watching from the forest. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    And is sound like someone is a fan of The Ewoks

Nothing wrong with that, biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Me neither. Must be watching from the forest. biggrin

E-cha Wawa

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    E-cha Wawa

Word!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008 edited
    NP: Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
    Again!My dad comes tomorrow (it's his favourite Indy film) and I'm his Junior and since my dream for many years was to become and archeologists it fits perfectly!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
    Again!My dad comes tomorrow (it's his favourite Indy film) and I'm his Junior and since my dream for many years was to become and archeologists it fits perfectly!

Thanks for sharing. Great post!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished with Merlin and it really didn't do much for me.

NP: Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer - Ryan Shore

Wasn't overly impressed with my first listen a few weeks ago but there has been a lot of praise thrown at this score in the last little while so I will give it another go. I do like the old school monster movie influence mixed with a more contemporary film music sound. Let's see where this goes...

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: All Gerhardt, All The Time - On Shuffle!

Up next is Holdridge's "Main Title" from East of Eden.

-Erik-

Never easy to pick an all time favorite, but if I did, East of Eden would probably be it, or at least very close to the top of the list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The 13th Warrior (Jerry Goldsmith)

Always a pleasure listening to this one, but this time it´s as a homage to Michael Crichton. Rest in Peace.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Marselus wrote

Always a pleasure listening to this one, but this time it´s as a homage to Michael Crichton. Rest in Peace.

Indeed sir
    I think I'll do the same sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote

What an amazing, most-excellent score to do that; the main theme always brings a tear to my eyes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Hook - John Williams

Very nice. Very nice. It's a classic though, albeit with too much mickey mousing and "subtle" underscoring for me to maintain my interests. There are some very pretty moments in the score. I'm sure this has been mentioned multiple times over, but there's a horn theme/motif in here got reused in the Harry Potter score. It's a distraction, but I can get over it.
  3. NP: Solaris (Artemyev)

The 'other' score for this story is a wonderful mixture of Bachian melody and blistering, scraping electronic textures. It truly expresses the other worldiness of Solaris, and stands in strong contrast to the Cliff Martinez score, which paints a much gentler picture of the planet.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Lion in Winter - John Barry

The Guvnor's best score. Could never grow tired of listening to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    Southall wrote
    The Lion in Winter - John Barry

The Guvnor's best score. Could never grow tired of listening to it.

One of the best choral scores ever written! Sublime and original.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I watched a "Lonely Planet" documentary about South America So..

NP:Medicine Man

The synthetisers and the Cachy South American sound are annoying always, except when you are in this kind of Goldsmith mood.

The love theme is one of my favourites from Goldsmith, and the Total Recall-esque danger motif is really cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Listening to Secondhand Lions for the 6th time toady.
    I start studying with a score and if I'm getting a lot done, and not distracted by it, and I enjoy it... I'll just keep playing it. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DARK HALF - Christopher Young

Love it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    I watched a "Lonely Planet" documentary about South America So..

NP:Medicine Man

The synthetisers and the Cachy South American sound are annoying always, except when you are in this kind of Goldsmith mood.

The love theme is one of my favourites from Goldsmith, and the Total Recall-esque danger motif is really cool.

You never don't have a complaint do you? You are the original fanboy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Mulan (promo) - Jerry Goldsmith

One of Goldsmith's best works ever! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote

Oh! Mulan has removed your obsession for The Lion King lately... sad wink

NP:AVP:Requiem

The first tracks are killers! punk

I love Bishop's countdown little "dedication" ehehe
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I join your obsession! biggrin

NP: Mulan (Expanded) - Jerry Goldsmith

shocked

I always loved this score on the official release and within the film... but it's my first time to listen separately. Amazing!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote

Nothing can do that wink biggrin

NP: Pearl Harbor (expanded) - Hans Zimmer

Not one of his best scores but this track on the second CD, "30 seconds over Tokyo" is mindblowing!! shocked punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Signs James Newton Howard

I find once I've listened to an M. Night/JNH score, I'm hooked. The only scores that will satisfy my itch for more music is any one of the other M. Night/JNH scores!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

NP:AVP:Requiem

The first tracks are killers! punk

I love Bishop's countdown little "dedication" ehehe

I'd rather play the real thing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Fly Away Home (Promo) - Mark Isham

I can't believe I'm listening to this... it's one of my favorite films, and I fell in love with this score long time ago...

It's one of my "lump in my throat" scores along with Homeward Bound.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. Steven wrote
    Signs James Newton Howard

I find once I've listened to an M. Night/JNH score, I'm hooked. The only scores that will satisfy my itch for more music is any one of the other M. Night/JNH scores!

I can SO understand you. I used the whole bunch for an RPG campaign based in a small mountain village. The Village, Signs, Lady in the Water, they worked wonders. The Happening came too late to use it, but I would have.

They are easily one of the most creative streaks of scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    ...I used the whole bunch for an RPG campaign based in a small mountain village...

I may need some elaboration on that sentence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

Watched the movie after a long time. I had somewhat forgotten how amazing this music was in the movie, apart from on the CD!! I can never forget listening to The Egg Travels in the theater for the first time, how it enhanced that visually beautiful scene. And the music for the action scenes and the sequences leading to the climax... fantastic!! A truly brilliant score, IMO!

My rating - punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008 edited
    Finished up with Jack Brooks this morning. Didn't have enough time yesterday to listen to whole thing. Not a bad score. Ryan Shore likes James Horner's Aliens and the end credit piece is a nice sum up of the scores energy and themes.

NP: Fireworks Overture - Alfons Conde

A curious piece of music which was included on The Abandoned soundtrack released by MSM. This is a massive send off to John Williams with everything thrown in including the kitchen sink. This piece is basically one orchestral flourish after another. And you'd swear that this score should have ended a half a dozen times by the way Conde finishes one idea and then starts up another one. Fireworks Overture is a little disjointed and doesn't have much direction but if you want to hear a young composer doing his best John Williams impression then check this piece out.

IMHO, I think Conde tried a bit too hard with this piece. He definitely has the skill... no doubt about that... but he needs to take a step back and re-organized his ideas. There are just far too many in this short piece which makes it a bit of an orchestral mess. I mean, at the 5:30 mark there is a weird fanfare which just pops up, sound like we are going to go into the Star Wars main theme, but and then we come back to the smooth sweeping theme that was briefly interrupted by the unnecessary splice of Star Wars.

I've now moved onto another Fireworks inspired piece - this time a much more coherent piece written by an established master...

NP: Fireworks - Jerry Goldsmith

It's the B theme heard in the middle portion of this piece that impresses me the most. A gorgeous theme for Horns and strings which has a beautiful climax before the up tempo finale which knocks my socks off. This is one of the Maestro's last great works and a big thanks to Telarc for including it on the Christus Apollo. Fireworks is really the albums only saving grace!

A little bit later on I'm going to put on John Williams masterpiece, Superman! Man, what I would give you hear a live performance of that score! shocked

-Erik-