• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    NP : ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Mario Nascimbene

This IS Dinosaur music. punk

Agreed, Tim. I sometimes wish that some of this was re-recorded so we could hear some of this music in pristine condition. But I'm sure something would be lost in the updating.

NP: Max Payne - Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders

There's something pretty raw about the feel of this CD. It's definitely NOT in the same vein as Hellboy - more a sort of urban, gritty, bare-bones I, Robot in places (but even this is a stretched comparison.) "Heaven To The Max" is about as close as the score gets to hearing Beltrami's style of lush, emotional style.

Full of repeated staccato string passages and that John Carpenter Escape From New York synth drawl heard in some of the clips, it's really a release for the hardened Beltrami fan.

I'd be curious to know how much Buck Sanders contributed to the score (and Marcus Trumpp for that matter!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think the problem with GODZILLA is that, once again, Arnold doesn't use the Bond theme nearly often enough. biggrin

He makes up for it by basing the whole score around the theme from Cape Fear, I feel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore

Good score, though not my favorite of the three. cool Gotta love that beautiful Rohan theme! punk
  2. NP: Youth without Youth (Golijov)

I finally saw the film, and it really wasn't very good at all. But it gets points for trying hard, for being identifiably the work of its director (Coppola), and the music is untainted by the exercise in my mind. What a wonderful score it is! I can't wait for Golijov's next score, Tetro.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think the problem with GODZILLA is that, once again, Arnold doesn't use the Bond theme nearly often enough. biggrin

HAH! LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

He makes up for it by basing the whole score around the theme from Cape Fear, I feel.

Double LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Mario Nascimbene

This IS Dinosaur music. punk

Agreed, Tim. I sometimes wish that some of this was re-recorded so we could hear some of this music in pristine condition. But I'm sure something would be lost in the updating.

NP: Max Payne - Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders

There's something pretty raw about the feel of this CD. It's definitely NOT in the same vein as Hellboy - more a sort of urban, gritty, bare-bones I, Robot in places (but even this is a stretched comparison.) "Heaven To The Max" is about as close as the score gets to hearing Beltrami's style of lush, emotional style.

Full of repeated staccato string passages and that John Carpenter Escape From New York synth drawl heard in some of the clips, it's really a release for the hardened Beltrami fan.

I'd be curious to know how much Buck Sanders contributed to the score (and Marcus Trumpp for that matter!)

Agree with you on a re-record of ONE MILLION YEARS B.C., I would equate it to CONAN THE BARBARIAN in the rawness of it's recording and similar that something could be lost if re-done!? Still, a proper re-recording of either score would be a god send in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Newton Howard - Defiance

Yes, you can download the whole media kit with the soundtrack and I am not sure if the release will be similar to this one (the titles seem generic, almost like cue sheet titles)

The score is very low-key, rather underscore-based, but with a beautiful main theme, really beautiful and some violin solos not far from The Village when it comes to style.

After listening to this score, I came out in favour of THE HAPPENING as the stronger of his 2008 scores. This has its moments, and hopefully the album will consolidate it by cutting some of the extra stuff, but we've heard better from the composer and from films set at this time in history. It is quite a way ahead of BLOOD DIAMOND, MICHAEL CLAYTON and KING KONG though for me.

I don't think anyone would disagree that THE HAPPENING is indeed his strongest score, and i'd just say 2008 rather i'd extend it a couple of years back as well wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Revolutionary Road - Thomas Newman

Only on the first track and [Jesus Christ!] this is exactly what I was hoping for! A gorgeous piano and strings led cue which can only lead to even better things.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea - Joe Hisaishi

The grand chorus and orchestra on the opening track Deep Sea Ranch immediately got me into this score. There are lots of themes, and lots of arrangements. I especially love the use of Ponyo's theme. It's originally from the very childish (in a good way of course) theme song, but it changes from playful tunes to adventurous Flight of Ponyo (obvious Wagner parody! biggrin ), like Hisaishi did on Totoro.

One of my favorite tracks is Little Sisters. Really fun.

As usual, there is a beautiful piano track Sosuke's Tears. There are also many violin solos! lick

And of course, the adorable earworm song is great. Pooonyo ponyo ponyo sakananokoooo spin biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Boy Who Could Fly - Bruce Broughton

I've had the expanded edition of this score ever since Percepto released it a few years ago. However, I was interested in hearing the original Varese presentation of the score. So, I recently got the Varese edition which is 34 minutes in length and at this moment in time is the perfect running time for me. Today it's all about highlights and I assume that's what Varese gave us way back in 1986.

Broughton's main theme is a classic and full of 80's nostalgia! I love the tongue-in-cheek "New Starts" cue with it's militaristic snares which perfectly compliments little Fred Savage with his GI Joe helmet escaping the neighbourhood bullies on his four-wheel! Of course the highlight is the "In The Air" sequence which has all the flourish of another "Flying" sequence heard only a few years earlier in E.T.

Both versions of the score are winners. The Varese gives you all of the major highlights while the expanded version gives you all of the other goodies that die hard fans want! This is a classic Bruce Broughton score!

-Erik-

I like that score too! And In The Air is great flying music, but I prefer Cody's Flight from Rescuers Down Under, which is very similar to Boy... theme, but I think it sounds bigger and more exciting.

NP: The Boy Who Could Fly - Bruce Broughton smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Air conducting Trevor Jones' Merlin. wave dizzy wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dinotopia - Trevor Jones

Gorgeous!! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote

I love playing the main theme on the piano (mostly because it's a great theme, but partly because it's simple biggrin ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Green Mile - Thomas Newman

The film is on TV at the moment but I watched it last week so instead I'm listening to the brilliant score which elevated it to such mesmerising heights. The score is haunting, eerie and at times disturbing but always evocative, never failing to remind of the images and themes from the movie (especially the healing of the mouse, the night journey and the final execution). Gorgeous stuff and very affecting.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Toy Story 2 - Randy Newman

Haven't listened to this for a while. It's fun! I remember I got very excited when I heard Buzz's heroic theme in the theater.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    Bregje wrote

I love playing the main theme on the piano (mostly because it's a great theme, but partly because it's simple biggrin ).

Cool! cool
    Let's hear it.

I love the brass part in that theme. It's a wonderful composition. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

Ya baby! Full epic Silvestri! One of his finest scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One of my favorites as well. Highly propulsive, martial, score topped with some very effective melodramatics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote
    Steven wrote
    Bregje wrote

Cool! cool
    Let's hear it.

I love the brass part in that theme. It's a wonderful composition. dizzy

Time to put my money where my mouth is? I'll upload a MIDI performance as an MP3 file on Rapidshare... just give me some time to get a good take. wink

I'm not particularly a 'proud' person when it comes to playing on the piano, I just enjoy it. Good for stress!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One of my favorites as well. Highly propulsive, martial, score topped with some very effective melodramatics.

You said it! "Judgement Day" is the perfect example. While the "I Am The Law" line in the film is laughable for some reason I get goosebumps watching that scene because of Silvestri's score. Same goes with the President's speech in ID4. Totally corny - both speech and music - but they work off each other so well that it surprisingly works and gives me goosebumps and almost moves me to tears.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You said it! "Judgement Day" is the perfect example. While the "I Am The Law" line in the film is laughable for some reason I get goosebumps watching that scene because of Silvestri's score. Same goes with the President's speech in ID4. Totally corny - both speech and music - but they work off each other so well that it surprisingly works and gives me goosebumps and almost moves me to tears.

-Erik-

Ah, seeing that scene in ID4 and how the world comes together to fight as one almost brings tears to my eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I just love how stereotypical the whole world is viewed in ID4, while the Americans KICK ASS IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY!! FUCK YEAH!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more, that main theme is a killer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Ah, seeing that scene in ID4 and how the world comes together to fight as one almost brings tears to my eyes.

Same here; out of laughter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Rocky Balboa - Bill Conti

I'm listening to the album that came out for the 2006 movie. I've only heard the Rocky theme in passing so today is the first time I've ever sat down and really listen to it. It's an amazing good theme and the score material are equally nice. Some of the brass and percussion writing in "Fanfare for Rocky" seems like it was made for a movie about Roman gladiators which truly elevates it to a classy level work. And the cool basso continuo-esque string/brass writing in "Conquest" and "Rocky's Reward" are the stuff of awesome. It's littered throughout the album and makes for a very interesting listening experience.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, I just love how stereotypical the whole world is viewed in ID4, while the Americans KICK ASS IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY!! FUCK YEAH!!!!

The bit where a British soldier tells his commander excitedly "it's the Americans Sir...they have a plan!", I laughed through most of the film but I think I actually pissed myself at that point. biggrin
  3. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sorry I brought it up. rolleyes

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hey, I love the music, and I even love the music in the film. But the film itself is too "America is so FUCKING awesome" for my taste. (Though it can be fun after a few beers.)