• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    Same here, since last night.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm still having problems loading it tongue

Me too. Really annoying! angry
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm still having problems loading it tongue

"phew" I thought it was just MY computer!? spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I've been contacting the hosting since yesterday evening and they're looking at it, but apparently, they don't seems to find the solution. rolleyes slant angry
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    I've been contacting the hosting since yesterday evening and they're looking at it, but apparently, they don't seems to find the solution. rolleyes slant angry

Damn, it takes minutes to load the page everytime you post / read threads.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008 edited
    Just finished playing Jerry Goldsmith's The Blue Max suite from his Suites and Themes album. It's another re-recording that I consider to be one of the best ever produced. Is it just me, or was Mike Ross-Trevor even better than Bruce Botnick when it came down to recording Goldsmith scores. BTW, The Blue Max is splendid. Top 10 Goldsmith for sure.

NP: The 7th Voyage of Sinbad - Bernard Herrmann
    John Debney conducting the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Classic main theme. Would love to hear more variations of it during the score but unfortuantely we don't. Again, this is another complete Herrmann score that fails to keep my attention. There is a solid 10 - 12 minute suite here that would be just the perfect listen for me. The rest is disposable. I'm sure it works wonders in the movie but doesn't work as a stand alone listen.

The sound quality of this release is stunning. The RSNO recordings are quite inconsistent. At times they can sound brilliant (Frontiers, Superman, Vertigo, Hollywood '95) and other times they can sound distant and just plain ugly (Torn Curtain). But this recording, conducted by John Debney, is detailed while at the same time capturing that concert hall sound that has become a signature of Varese's RSNO recordings.

For Herrmann fans this is a definite no-brainer purchase. But if you are like me who is completely turned off by complete releases of Herrmann music then I suggest you stay away. However, I'm now inspired to create a suite from this recording because when something exciting happens, it really, REALLY good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote

Underrated score. Arnold's motif for the movie is pretty good.

I can understand why some people blames Arnold for this heavy electronics, but I don't share this opinion. I think Brosnan's movies are "high tech" and it's very appropriate to use the electronic sound.

"hovercraft chase","iced inc" or "whiteout" are very cool!

My only complaint is the 3 tracks homage to Barry are too Barry. Bland and Unmemorable. Arnold can do it better.

I don't agree with the "too Barry" assessment, but everything is so spot on. The complete score for the movie is significantly better than the commercial release, with a more diverse and wider range of style and character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jordi, without fail, always has some weird complaint about a score. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

I can understand why some people blames Arnold for this heavy electronics, but I don't share this opinion.

Who else are you going to blame?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Marselus wrote
    Bregt wrote

Damn, it takes minutes to load the page everytime you post / read threads.

Yeah.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's working ok now.....for the moment at least!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I can understand why some people blames Arnold for this heavy electronics, but I don't share this opinion.

Who else are you going to blame?

-Erik-

His computer. It was insisting too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Okay, why was there a comment to the effect of "the very first Now Playing thread at MainTitles" at the end of the previous thread if it was labeled as the 16th Now Playing?? Did the laws of arithmetic change while I was asleep?

LSH wrote
    I agree 100%. This score was an incredible follow-up to Dinosaur, I just wish James could return to animation again.
    cool

Of course, he has, but I think Treasure Planet was no where near as rollicking fun as Dinosaur and Atlantis...

Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Land Before Time - James Horner
    One of this great composer's finest scores, and surely the most beautiful, balletic music ever written for an animation.

The Prokofiev love fest continues with this score... but you know... it works soooooooooo well. Horner was definitely the most inspired working on animated features.
    -Erik-

I find this score just exquisitely beautiful and the action material among his best. And this is one instance where there "Prokofiev love fest" is absolutely appropriate and witty. Sure, there's a moment literally lifted note-for-note from Peter and the Wolf, but just look at the scene in which this happens! This is where they fool and trap the T-Rex. The scene itself is a direct homage to Peter and the Wolf, and thus I 100% believe that the musical nod was completely intentional. Ingenious.

Christodoulides wrote
    Ah yeah. You're right, then my comment is invalid. I had Two brothers in mind, brother bear 1 was equally uninteresting to me.

Mancina's Tarzan ranks among the best animation music ever, imo (get the score-only boot if you can!!) but yeah, Brother Bear was such a HUGE step down. It truly bore me to tears. That's one boot I didn't need.

NP: The Apartment, Adolph Deutsch
    Yes, I finally got my overpriced MGM Treasury box set today. Popped in the first disc to the expected light-hearted jazzy fare of this comedy score. I have high expectations for the long Jarre score in the box, the two Morricone, the Roy Budd that closes the set, and especially the fact that this marks my very first Riz Ortolani score.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    LSH wrote
    I agree 100%. This score was an incredible follow-up to Dinosaur, I just wish James could return to animation again.
    cool

Of course, he has, but I think Treasure Planet was no where near as rollicking fun as Dinosaur and Atlantis...

I LOVE Treasure Planet. Swashbuckling adventure with a modern twist even though the electric guitar music is taken right out of James Horner's The Perfect Storm. And you want "rollicking fun" just listen to "Jim Saves the Crew." That should satisfy your craving!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Underrated score. Arnold's motif for the movie is pretty good.

I can understand why some people blames Arnold for this heavy electronics, but I don't share this opinion. I think Brosnan's movies are "high tech" and it's very appropriate to use the electronic sound.

"hovercraft chase","iced inc" or "whiteout" are very cool!

My only complaint is the 3 tracks homage to Barry are too Barry. Bland and Unmemorable. Arnold can do it better.

I don't agree with the "too Barry" assessment, but everything is so spot on. The complete score for the movie is significantly better than the commercial release, with a more diverse and wider range of style and character.

I agree with Jordi.......................................that the score is underrated.

A score that in some ways I enjoy more than TWINE, the Barry "homages" are far from bland or unmemorable.

Shame the sword fight music isn't on it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Halloween Playlist - Various Artists

As much as I've shat all over Harold Kloser's music in the past... The Day After Tomorrow never did anything for me and 10,000 B.C. is total crap... but there are a few dynamite cues on the Aliens Vs. Predator score that makes my hair stand on end. "Showdown" is one of those cues. Highly entertaining and gives me the creeps. I know that the rest of the score doesn't hold up very well especially against the classics that came before it but I'm curious to see if my feelings about the score have changed.

Anyway, next up is music from...

Alien3 "Bait and Chase" - Goldenthal
    Altered States "First Transformation" - Corigliano
    The Amityville Horror "Theme" - Schifrin
    Army of Darkness "End Titles" - Loduca
    The Beast "Squid Death Finale - Davis
    and many, many more... 8 hours worth actually!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCARS OF DRACULA - James Bernard

A bit of classic gothic horror music. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote
    I LOVE Treasure Planet. Swashbuckling adventure with a modern twist even though the electric guitar music is taken right out of James Horner's The Perfect Storm. And you want "rollicking fun" just listen to "Jim Saves the Crew." That should satisfy your craving!

-Erik-

I don't remember the tracks by name, but I certainly do remember some truly epic ones. I'm sure "Jim Saves the Crew" is quite a feat, indeed. But what I really took from that score was the extremely uneven runtime. Too few epic swashbuckling tracks lost in a midst of uninteresting loooong-running suspense. Which in itself was surprising because JNH is usually not someone who has trouble writing suspense and keep it interesting. So yes, Treasure Planet is worth it, but at the end of the day I find it grossly unbalanced. And I don't see anything wrong taking guitars from The Perfect Storm since I loooove that score to bits! dizzy

If anything, I find that JNH's Peter Pan is a much better companion to Dinosaur and Atlantis. Even though it's not an animated movie, JNH scored it pretty much like one, and it almost measures to those other two wonderful scores.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    If anything, I find that JNH's Peter Pan is a much better companion to Dinosaur and Atlantis. Even though it's not an animated movie, JNH scored it pretty much like one, and it almost measures to those other two wonderful scores.

Wow! Talk about unbalanced. Peter Pan is the perfect example of an unbalance and uneven score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Hm, interesting. As unbalanced as it might be, I still find myself enjoying every moment of it... I'll try to listen to Peter Pan and Treasure Planet back-to-back some time, and compare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I too like it. Some parts of it way better than the 2 JNH scores mentioned above, especially ATLANTIS which is nowhere even near to being an inspired musical work, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I think all of JNH's Disney scores are excellent even if I think they decrease slightly in quality chronologically. I'm surprised Demetris isn't impressed with Atlantis - what is it that you dislike exactly? It features some fantastic brassy action material, has some interesting ethnic elements at work, and has a wonderful theme. Superb!

NP: Atlantis: The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Score - Christopher Beck

Some real gems in here!! cool

Oh, and the pages are loading much better now! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...especially ATLANTIS which is nowhere even near to being an inspired musical work, imo.

That's' a crazy comment especially if you have heard "The Submarine" and "The Crystal Chamber" and "Just Do It."

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...especially ATLANTIS which is nowhere even near to being an inspired musical work, imo.

That's' a crazy comment especially if you have heard "The Submarine" and "The Crystal Chamber" and "Just Do It."

-Erik-

I didn't like it but it's been many years since I gave it a listen......time for a re-try!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atlantis is fucking awesome. Fuck.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Atlantis is fucking awesome. Fuck.

Well, I'm definitely going to give it a listen tomorrow ( because then I'll be able to give it my undevided attention )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Music like that is surely not easy to write. Very technical stuff, and all pulled off with bucket loads of style... how can some people not see that!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Music like that is surely not easy to write. Very technical stuff, and all pulled off with bucket loads of style... how can some people not see that!?

Great technical music doesn't necessarily mean great music.....and we've all experienced that personally.

I'll find out for myself soon enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    I think all of JNH's Disney scores are excellent even if I think they decrease slightly in quality chronologically. I'm surprised Demetris isn't impressed with Atlantis - what is it that you dislike exactly? It features some fantastic brassy action material, has some interesting ethnic elements at work, and has a wonderful theme. Superb!

NP: Atlantis: The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

It's a good score for sure, but on auto-pilot. It lacks the bright elements that make JNH's musical identity....it actually reminds me (not its sound, but the way the music is approached and performed) Andrew Lockington's score. Technically brilliant but soul and musical meaning runs on very low levels.