• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    Steven wrote
    Music like that is surely not easy to write. Very technical stuff, and all pulled off with bucket loads of style... how can some people not see that!?

See my comment above. The same can be said for the ANDREW LOCKINGTON scores or the majority of DEBNEY.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    I think all of JNH's Disney scores are excellent even if I think they decrease slightly in quality chronologically. I'm surprised Demetris isn't impressed with Atlantis - what is it that you dislike exactly? It features some fantastic brassy action material, has some interesting ethnic elements at work, and has a wonderful theme. Superb!

NP: Atlantis: The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

It's a good score for sure, but on auto-pilot. It lacks the bright elements that make JNH's musical identity....it actually reminds me (not its sound, but the way the music is approached and performed) Andrew Lockington's score. Technically brilliant but soul and musical meaning runs on very low levels.

I TOTALLY disagree with the above statement. JNH's musical identity is all OVER Atlantis. "The Submarine" cue is an extension of the main theme heard in Dinosaur. Another soaring, adventurous theme that you can tell was composed by JNH. This isn't an Andrew Lockington score that sounds like a second rate David Arnold composition. This is JNH doing a superb action adventure score that has recognizable elements and styles first developed in scores like Waterworld, Dinosaur, The Postman, Snow Falling On Cedars, Outbreak, etc. A composer on auto-pilot doesn't write a first rate theme of the likes heard in "The Submarine" And again, if you have listened to "The Crystal Chamber" you wouldn't be say such things like this score has no soul. How utterly ridiculous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    100% agree. And besides, even a score on autopilot pleases me to no end when that autopilot's destination is the edge of my seat.

NP: Alias, Michael Giacchino
    I already had Vol.2 but now just got Vol.1. Not knowing the show I don't expect a tremendous much from this. And thus maybe I'll be surprised. So far I can tell it rocks a lot, but I hope it'll do more than just that, melodically.

Just Finished Playing: Duel at Diablo, Neal Hefti
    Obviously I'm still barely scratching the surface of this MGM-Treasury set, but I so far I was very impressed by Duel at Diablo. It was a very gripping western score, that was neither a Morricone nor a Copeland imitation. If anything, I'd say it drew inspiration from Goldsmith more than these other famous styles. As long as I find just a couple more scores of that caliber in this box set, it'll have been worth the price.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't get upset for God's sake, i just disagree it's not the end of the world wink As for the Dinosaur references you mention, i am not that score's biggest fan either but anyway you got my point and i assure you i TOTALLY got yours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    I TOTALLY disagree with the above statement. JNH's musical identity is all OVER Atlantis. "The Submarine" cue is an extension of the main theme heard in Dinosaur. Another soaring, adventurous theme that you can tell was composed by JNH. This isn't an Andrew Lockington score that sounds like a second rate David Arnold composition. This is JNH doing a superb action adventure score that has recognizable elements and styles first developed in scores like Waterworld, Dinosaur, The Postman, Snow Falling On Cedars, Outbreak, etc. A composer on auto-pilot doesn't write a first rate theme of the likes heard in "The Submarine" And again, if you have listened to "The Crystal Chamber" you wouldn't be say such things like this score has no soul. How utterly ridiculous!

-Erik-

I totally agree with you. It's one of the best JNH animation score that might rival Dinosaurs. His stamp is all over this one and it's all the better for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't get upset for God's sake, i just disagree it's not the end of the world wink

Uh huh. Look in the mirror, Demetris. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - Knut Avenstroup Haugen

This sounds as close as it possibly could to a real live orchestra, and it's a testament to the skills of the composer he can create something so epic sounding with synthesizers. Ok the voices are real and create half the excitement but it's still an achievement. One to look out for in the future, this guy.

I damn love this soundtrack album, it has moments of reflection, of grandeur, and ambience... But all with interesting results. The melodic core of this soundtrack, coupled with the superb vocal work is what keeps me intrigued to listen to the end and enjoy it every time.

Another good example to not underestimate the power of video game scoring.

4 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Music like that is surely not easy to write. Very technical stuff, and all pulled off with bucket loads of style... how can some people not see that!?

Great technical music doesn't necessarily mean great music.....and we've all experienced that personally.

I'll find out for myself soon enough.

(I was mostly referring to Demetris' thoughts... they're crazy.)

I don't mean to be offensive here (unlike usually), but you're talking out of your arse Demetris. As Erik has said, JNH's style is oozing from every note of Atlantis. I like to think I can see someone's point of view from their... well, point of view. But in this occasion I just can't! dizzy Sure you've listened to it lately? Or indeed more than once?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't get upset for God's sake, i just disagree it's not the end of the world wink

Uh huh. Look in the mirror, Demetris. wink

-Erik-

Zing... zing. biggrin
  2. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008 edited
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Hans Zimmer

Great soundtrack, probably my favorite of the three, score-wise. This one has a much more orchestral feel to it, IMO, which is likely one of the reasons I like it so much. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: "Molossus" from Batman Begins
    I randomly selected this single track and I found myself actually.... enjoying it!!! A LOT! I guess it's the whole score of Batman Begins as a flowing tapestry that strikes me as difficult and without any strong melody or hook, but when isolated, single tracks of it can really frikkin shine! Who knows, if I keep doing that with every track I may one day find myself an actual fan of the whole score. That, plus I'm also very anxious to listen to The Dark Knight.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    William wrote
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Hans Zimmer

Great soundtrack, probably my favorite of the three, score-wise. This one has a much more orchestral feel to it, IMO, which is likely one of the reasons I like it so much. cool

More than opinion, it is a matter of fact: this is Zimmer´s Pirates orchestral score, at last. And I totall agree with you, my fav from the three.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008 edited
    NP:Madagascar 2 Escape to Africa

Zooster's breakout" tune in the beggining of this score put an smile into my face.

the original track was a little Zimmer jewel. Everyone I know loved this track, and Now He used this little motif as a main thtme.

Only Zimmer can compose a so terrible and mediocre score, and still has some addictive tunes on it.

Zimmer and his guys are still under the effect of the Drug they drunk...Im sure tongue ( 4 minutes for this "party! Party!" ???=?¿?¿ )

"Alex on Spot" beer beer beer beer Really, I'm addicted.

Demetris, if you think The Simpsons is bad (wich I consider quite good), then i'm really interested in what do you think about this "score".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008
    I have to listen to Treasure Planet again... I sometimes play some favorite tracks (especially, The Launch, love the epic sound), but I haven't listened to the whole album for a while. And I must get to listen to Atlantis. It's one of the few Disney feature I haven't seen yet.

NP: Heero's Guess The Score Game clips wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Madagascar 2 Escape to Africa

Zooster's breakout" tune in the beggining of this score put an smile into my face.

So does that. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Great technical music doesn't necessarily mean great music.....and we've all experienced that personally.

I don't mean to be offensive here (unlike usually), but you're talking out of your arse Demetris. As Erik has said, JNH's style is oozing from every note of Atlantis. I like to think I can see someone's point of view from their... well, point of view. But in this occasion I just can't! dizzy Sure you've listened to it lately? Or indeed more than once?

Okeydokey I'm going to listen to 'Atlantis' tomorrow and see if I can make my mind up.

NP : 2001 A SPACE ODYSESSY - Alex North

Goldsmith's recording. Just fancied getting my chops around something challenging! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Disney's Alice In Wonderland by ...a bunch of people.

One of my all time favorite Disney scores.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Sleeping Beauty - George Bruns

This beautiful score always makes me go nostalgic remembering those childhood days when my friends and I used to watch this movie together, especially that amazing climax scene! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Madagascar - Hans Zimmer & his buddies

I found 4 good things in this movie and its score. 1) Best Friends easygoing theme is good. It's catchy. But I dislike the arrangement. 2) Zoostars Breakout is admittedly addictive. And it's the most listenable track on the album. 3) The character design is interesting. 4) The penguins are the only funny thing in the entire film.

That's all! I can't understand why this film is so popular in America. There are better animated comedies featuring animals. Also the score didn't fit the film, in my opinion. It didn't have consistency...

And I have to say I hate Beacon of Liberty! If the second one include something like that, I won't get it. (though I have no plan to get it in the first place tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: A Bug's Life - Randy Newman

My favourite Randy Newman score, it's so fun, with addictive themes! punk Thank God for the isolated score track on DVD! Hope Disney does that with some more upcoming Blu-Ray releases...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - Knut Avenstroup Haugen

This sounds as close as it possibly could to a real live orchestra, and it's a testament to the skills of the composer he can create something so epic sounding with synthesizers. Ok the voices are real and create half the excitement but it's still an achievement. One to look out for in the future, this guy.

I damn love this soundtrack album, it has moments of reflection, of grandeur, and ambience... But all with interesting results. The melodic core of this soundtrack, coupled with the superb vocal work is what keeps me intrigued to listen to the end and enjoy it every time.

4 STARS

Count me in, i love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone, never have i felt as such in my life. I know what i listen, how i listen to it and when, what i like and what not. Next.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sure. I've felt I've needed to prove many things in my life, that's part of being human. Apparently honesty isn't! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - Knut Avenstroup Haugen

4 STARS

Count me in, i love it.

That makes three of us wink
    "Hymn for King Conan" punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Lazarus Project (Brian Tyler) - in the movie

Why do I like Tyler more everytime? Maybe because after big, bold, fast paced, brassy projects such as "War", "AVP:R", "Rambo" and "Eagle Eye" and a moody / atmospheric action score like "Bangkok Dangerous" he gives us "The Lazarus Project", a score based around a beautiful main theme (performed by Tyler himself at the piano or cello) plus the kind of underscore the likes of Cliff Martinez or David Julyan usually do. There are also some action cues, not as powerful and big as his usual action writing though (not that the movie need those actually).

How many instruments can he play by the way? I didn´t know he could play cello.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Was Playing : El Cid

Now Playing: Ben Hur

It's a Miklos Rozsa day for me! Maject ,wonderful, beyond words!A big thank you to my dad who introduced me to the world of cinema by taking me with him to watch Ben Hur when he was working as a engineer of cinema projection, and by buying this two scores for me.My first ones ever! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: *** - *** (on DVD)

I can't say what this score is because it's one of the answers of current Guess The Score Game! wink
    It's incredibly beautiful and heartbreaking!

Thanks Heero! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    Disney's Alice In Wonderland by ...a bunch of people.

One of my all time favorite Disney scores.

Happy unbirthday, Ian! beer biggrin

And you and Ravi's posts make me want to hear this...

NP: Lady And The Tramp - Oliver Wallace (songs written by Sonny Burke and Peggy Lee)

It was my first feature film I saw (on VHS). And also my first soundtrack I bought by myself. Nostalgic.

I believe one of the theme was based on a traditional piece, but don't know the title...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Quantum of Solace David Arnold

I can completely understand why this score will leave many disappointed, it does lack a memorable theme that a lot of earlier Arnold scores thrived on. But I like it... a lot!

I've given it enough listens to familiarise myself with the themes and motifs, and I must say that Arnold still knows how to weave a score (and why wouldn't he?). Certainly not to everyone's taste, but I'm such a sucker for Arnold's music, he could probably fart and I'd enjoy it! There, I admitted it. (Though not to say this is a bad score, I clearly think it's a good one, one that I'm looking forward to hearing in context.)

I love the action music. It's much more 'badass' than previous Arnold-Bond music, not so suave, and it seems so fitting for Craig's Bond. It's not a sophisticated score, but then Daniel Craig's Bond is not a sophisticated character in many respects.

Camille's theme is a very typical Arnold tune, one that I'm sure Jordi will accuse him of stealing from yet another Mancina score.

One major complaint is the album presentation. In particular the end. It ends on a bit of a whimper, and then of course we get the song. Great. When will producers learn that the composer should be involved in all facets of the musical world of Bond, including the song? rolleyes

Anyone got a playlist they'd like to share for a better presentation of this score? Anthony?