• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008
    Medal Of Honor | Michael Giacchino

I think the original will always be my favourite, even though Underground has a mind-blowing main theme. I don't think there's any other game, TV show or movie with as many instantly recognisable string lines and motifs as this - even if you've only heard it a couple of times!
  1. NP: She (Steiner)

Definitely one of the strongest Steiner scores I've heard. It exceeds Kong in many ways, in my opinion. Thank heavens for a recording that recovers the lost details.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You think so???
    I found it far less thematic and compelling than King Kong. That's a score that I regularly return to. Not so sure if I'll do the same with She.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008 edited
    NP:Frost / Nixon (Zimmer)

Pretty damn Good score.

Agree about is a more organic version of Batman Begins. But It reminds me more to the piano ostinatos of The Ring ...and some little touch of regarding henry and Spy game.

Did anyone else notice the cover design is very close to one of Zimmer earlier scores??? triviaaaaaaa!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Pretty damn Good score.

Agree about is a more organic version of Batman Begins. But It reminds me more to the piano ostinatos of The Ring ...and some little touch of regarding henry and Spy game.

Agreed. Happy to see Madagascar 2 has been Zimmer´s 2008 Remote Control Party and with Frost/Nixon he has come back to business. And with a really good score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: She (Steiner)

Definitely one of the strongest Steiner scores I've heard. It exceeds Kong in many ways, in my opinion. Thank heavens for a recording that recovers the lost details.

I'm with ya. I'm not a huge fan of Steiner's work but the Morgan/Stromberg re-recording makes for a fantastic listen! Read my take on the score HERE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Pretty damn Good score.

Agreed. Happy to see Madagascar 2 has been Zimmer´s 2008 Remote Control Party and with Frost/Nixon he has come back to business. And with a really good score.

Well, Marselus, I can't see african people singing in a Nixon interview biggrin

Talking about "first ideas"...With that track and "Pirates day one.." you can see how Zimme beggins to compose something: very slow, playing almost in random mode in the piano and then devoloping it...

(War of the Worlds moment in the 1:52 minut of "First Ideas" dizzy )
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: She (Steiner)

I'm with ya. I'm not a huge fan of Steiner's work but the Morgan/Stromberg re-recording makes for a fantastic listen! Read my take on the score HERE!

-Erik-

Good summary there!

And Martijn - of course I hold KONG very high on a pedestal - but I do think SHE is the stronger recording from the MSB team, and 'Hall of the Kings' in particular as the climax is something that makes the score particularly impressive.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    Largo Winch
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    'Cause it's SO MUCH KICK-ASS wink Blame Bush.

I prefer to blame Islam.

Although Bush is not without fault.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was Playing: Planet Earth (Fenton)

It has scope, and some truly beautiful moments but....in general terms....ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NP:Deep Blue (Fenton)

Much, much better. It has more highlights and more distinctive theme.

Anyway, Fenton is one of those composers who doesn't works for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Anyway, Fenton is one of those composers who doesn't works for me.

You should give such outstanding scores as Valiant, Anna and the King, Memphis Belle, Dangerous Beauty, and We're No Angels a chance.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Kingdom Of Heaven (3-Disc) - Harry Gregson-Williams

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Anthony wrote
    Medal Of Honor | Michael Giacchino

I think the original will always be my favourite, even though Underground has a mind-blowing main theme. I don't think there's any other game, TV show or movie with as many instantly recognisable string lines and motifs as this - even if you've only heard it a couple of times!

indeed sir! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Wallace & Gromit (Promotional Score) - Julian Nott

I LOVE W&G main theme! biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hancock - John Powell

What a pleasant score. smile
    Powell in this mode always makes me happy, and he's one of the (very, very, very) few that makes me come away from a score whistling the main theme. Wonderful mix of action music and more introspective cues and some truly beautiful writing involving guitar and piano.
    Powell really is at his best in scores like these.
    Death And Transfiguration and The Moon And The Superhero get more of a rise out of me than three Phoenix Rising put together.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Hancock - John Powell

What a pleasant score. smile
    Powell in this mode always makes me happy, and he's one of the (very, very, very) few that makes me come away from a score whistling the main theme. Wonderful mix of action music and more introspective cues and some truly beautiful writing involving guitar and piano.
    Powell really is at his best in scores like these.
    Death And Transfiguration and The Moon And The Superhero get more of a rise out of me than three Phoenix Rising put together.

The main thing I loved watching that film was Powell's excellent theme that was well developed towards the end.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Blame inspiration-less composers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GREAT ESCAPE - Elmer Bernstein

What more can I say about such an iconic and legendary score!? cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote

shocked

They are great cues... no doubt about it... but better than Phoenix Rises? Naaah! That's crazy talk!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

shocked

They are great cues... no doubt about it... but better than Phoenix Rises? Naaah! That's crazy talk!

-Erik-

"hollywood Boulevard" is an amazing track too, and one of the most hilarious scenes of the film.

Anyway, the power of "death and transfiguration" with the images of the film is brilliant. really Touching.

NP:Medal of Honor Airborne (Giacchino)

It's growing on me. But Medal of Honor and Medal of Honor Underground are hard to surpass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

shocked

-Erik-

Yep, I really think so.
    Phoenix Rises (and in fact the whole X-Men III score) has changed my adagium that "the only thing better than a ten head brass band is a twenty head brass band and the only thing better than a choir is two choirs".

You really have to know what you're doing with orchestras (and orchestrations) of that size.
    X-Men III is chocfull of wonderful themes, but they are completely snowed under by the Jerichoan wall of sound that is created by the sheer size of the thing.
    To my ears it's messy, chaotic and muddled and not very enjoyable at all.

Good theme.
    GREAT theme.
    But lousy execution.

Give Powell a small combo or the Hollywood Symphony and he can move the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

shocked

-Erik-

Yep, I really think so.
    Phoenix Rises (and in fact the whole X-Men III score) has changed my adagium that "the only thing better than a ten head brass band is a twenty head brass band and the only thing better than a choir is two choirs".

You really have to know what you're doing with orchestras (and orchestrations) of that size.
    X-Men III is chocfull of wonderful themes, but they are completely snowed under by the Jerichoan wall of sound that is created by the sheer size of the thing.

Good theme.
    GREAT theme.
    But lousy execution.

Im agree with you here , Martijn.

the ankluns in this score make me has headache, and the whole score lacks of Powell sense of rythm.

For me it's a 4 stars album, but just becauese his themes and some really great tracks.

Give me paycheck, Happy feet or Cody banks any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Blame inspiration-less composers.

I don't think anyone is to be blamed for using middle-eastern music rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Middle-easterners?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

shocked

-Erik-

Yep, I really think so.

Good theme.
    GREAT theme.
    But lousy execution.

Well, I honestly believe that Powell was going for some sort of "controlled"chaos in his score to X-Men III which matched the subject matter of the film and it's massive and complex action scenes perfectly.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Middle-easterners?

No blame; it's a perfectly good genre of music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Chicken Little (promo) - John Debney

Nothing special but IMO a very fun score. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, I honestly believe that Powell was going for some sort of "controlled"chaos in his score to X-Men III which matched the subject matter of the film and it's massive and complex action scenes perfectly.

Fair enough, that may well be the case.
    And in that case: mission accomplished.
    I still don't like it, though. It's not a style or technique I'm very partial to.

Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Middle-easterners?

No blame; it's a perfectly good genre of music.

Yeah, but I like blaming middle-easterners. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I agree. I don´t see chaos in X Men 3. I see themes, bold and brassy orchestrations and an epic finale. Hancock is in another league. It has truly memorable moments (Death and Transfiguration and The Moon and the Superhero), but overall it is a minor effort compared to X3.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you