• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Hah yeah. I combined the two a while back and have a playlist of just over an hour. wink

Nice! biggrin

NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

How was this lying cold for so many days in my shelf?! shocked Amazing Stuff!! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I still think the Mummy Returns is better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I like Goldsmith's a little more wink But both are my favourites!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Perfume: Story of a Murderer (Tykwer/Heil/Klimek)

So beautiful. I never knew the guys who were responsible for electronic scores for films such as Land of the Dead and Run Lola Run were capable of producing such an elegant, awe-inspiring and yet delicate score. Even if the the orchestration and conductor Simon Rattle are more responsible for the end product, it's simply a beautiful and well-performed score nonetheless.

I love it. I also like a portion of their dark electronic ambience and especially the dark techno of RUN LOLA RUN but nothing they've ever written, even after it, comes close to the grandeur of THE PERFUME. I think it's a perfect score and a very coherent musical work that got tremendously overlooked and / or underestimated by some people for reasons i cannot understand. The only work by a member of the team i can think of and which comes close in terms of fragile beauty and refinery (although a different style, more Arvo Part-like) is Tom Tykwer's HEAVEN
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: The Legend of 1900 ~ Ennio Morricone
    Wonderful! smile

I think i am this score's one and only non-fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Not by a long shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: The Legend of 1900 ~ Ennio Morricone
    Wonderful! smile

I think i am this score's one and only non-fan.

Well,hon good friends don't have to always agree ! smile But remind me to try to change your mind on that one of these days. tongue
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CLINT MANSELL - the fountain followed by REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

Top modern film music with a singular character and unmistakable identity.
  1. NP: Doctor Who Series 4 - Murray Gold & Ben Foster

YES!!! More of the same great stuff. And everything I wanted is included!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Not by a long shot.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Matt C wrote

So beautiful. I never knew the guys who were responsible for electronic scores for films such as Land of the Dead and Run Lola Run were capable of producing such an elegant, awe-inspiring and yet delicate score. Even if the the orchestration and conductor Simon Rattle are more responsible for the end product, it's simply a beautiful and well-performed score nonetheless.

I love it. I also like a portion of their dark electronic ambience and especially the dark techno of RUN LOLA RUN but nothing they've ever written, even after it, comes close to the grandeur of THE PERFUME. I think it's a perfect score and a very coherent musical work that got tremendously overlooked and / or underestimated by some people for reasons i cannot understand. The only work by a member of the team i can think of and which comes close in terms of fragile beauty and refinery (although a different style, more Arvo Part-like) is Tom Tykwer's HEAVEN

I really enjoy One Hour Photo, you like that one D ?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Not by a long shot.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

It's an age old battle; everyone seems to think one is far superior to the other! biggrin I like it, makes for interesting reading (and arguments).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Not by a long shot.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

It's an age old battle; everyone seems to think one is far superior to the other! biggrin I like it, makes for interesting reading (and arguments).

Not much of a battle though is it? Putting the class of JG's Mummy up against Silvestri's is like putting Ricky Hatton up against Woody Allen wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True. So true.

I like Silvestri's score, it takes a lot skill to produce something like that. But Goldsmith's gave The Mummy the perfect sound. For me, it was as integral to the movie as Williams' score for Raiders was.

Silvestri's score was more of a swashbuckler, and certainly suited the film... but it lacked the power and awe of Goldsmith's music IMO. Goldsmith's score was EPIC, Silvestri's was more, hmm, adventurous maybe? (Although 'epic' and 'adventurous' can easily apply to both scores.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: Doctor Who Series 4 - Murray Gold & Ben Foster

There's a season 4 soundtrack? shocked

Are there any more Arnold-style cues?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    True. So true.

I like Silvestri's score, it takes a lot skill to produce something like that. But Goldsmith's gave The Mummy the perfect sound. For me, it was as integral to the movie as Williams' score for Raiders was.

Silvestri's score was more of a swashbuckler, and certainly suited the film... but it lacked the power and awe of Goldsmith's music IMO. Goldsmith's score was EPIC, Silvestri's was more, hmm, adventurous maybe? (Although 'epic' and 'adventurous' can easily apply to both scores.)

Well said! I do like Silvestri's score too smile

NP : Elaine Paige on BBC Radio 2

I don't normally listen to Paige ( too much emphasis on musicals vomit ) but this show is devoted to music of James Bond cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    The Mist - Mark Isham

I loved the movie and the soundtrack is very synthy & atmospheric except for the last track called 'The Vicious Blues' . As a stand alone listening experience it didn't do much for me . I'll give it a few more listens , maybe it will grow on me ... ;o) This release is also very short , just around 30 minutes of music ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    but it lacked the power and awe of Goldsmith's music IMO.

Oh Steven how can you say that after listening to "The Legend of the Scorpion King." Silvestri's score has bucket loads of power and lots of awe!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Matt C wrote

I really enjoy One Hour Photo, you like that one D ?

Totally.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    True. So true.

I don't normally listen to Paige ( too much emphasis on musicals vomit ) but this show is devoted to music of James Bond cool

Oh yeah for no points whatsoever who can name a film where Elaine Paige worked with Jerry Goldsmith? wink
  2. Anthony wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: Doctor Who Series 4 - Murray Gold & Ben Foster

There's a season 4 soundtrack? shocked

Are there any more Arnold-style cues?

It is quite similar in style to the former scores, if that helps answering your question, plus a lot bigger sometimes. I really, really enjoy what I´m hearing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh Steven how can you say that after listening to "The Legend of the Scorpion King." Silvestri's score has bucket loads of power and lots of awe!

-Erik-

But not Goldsmith awe. Silvestri score does have awe, of course, but I much prefer Goldsmith's awe. He gets a greater effect with less dense orchestrations. That's what I love about Goldsmith's action music as well, he was able to create so much excitement without resorting to hitting every instrument in the orchestra with a mallet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

But not Goldsmith awe. Silvestri score does have awe, of course, but I much prefer Goldsmith's awe. He gets a greater effect with less dense orchestrations. That's what I love about Goldsmith's action music as well, he was able to create so much excitement without resorting to hitting every instrument in the orchestra with a mallet.

I think Silvestri's score matched Goldsmith's and at times took it one step further while at the same time I think that Goldsmith did a few things better than Silvestri's. They are two different scores stylistically but both hit a home run in the action adventure genre.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    REINHOLD HEIL / JOHNNY KLIMEK / TOM TYKWER - Perfume: story of a murderer

Very impressive textures, captivating atmosphere through the brooding string ostinati, organ and brilliant vocal / choral work. Modern, dark orchestral music at its most excellent.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Interpreter - James Newton Howard

One of Howard's hidden gems. I don't expect this to be one that instantly comes to mind when you mention the name James Newton Howard, but it should be! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    The Interpreter - James Newton Howard

One of Howard's hidden gems.

I know, i love it! Those percussive lines are very captivating.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    True. So true.

sleep

Time for some real Bond music....

NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

Pure Bond genius! punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Just started playing...

Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea - Joe Hisaishi (my hero)

woooooo!
    hooooooo!
    shocked

Chorus! punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Tomorrow Never Dies Expanded
    I love the motorcycle chase portion. biggrin

Oh, and what an ending...
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    I think Silvestri's score matched Goldsmith's and at times took it one step further while at the same time I think that Goldsmith did a few things better than Silvestri's. They are two different scores stylistically but both hit a home run in the action adventure genre.

That sounds very right to me. There is stuff in both scores which makes me goosebump.