• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    Well just by reading the cover I can see the title is "Hamaru's..." and then a bunch of Kanji characters I can't read. Miya would be able to help. Or try googling "Hamaru" now that you know it's in the title.

NP: Eight Below, Mark Isham
    Yay! The Isham I love!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Water Horse - Legend of The Deep - James Newton Howard

My favourite JNH score of last year. I can't understand how Michael Clayton was nominated for Oscar and this was left out!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DemonStar wrote

My favourite JNH score of last year. I can't understand how Michael Clayton was nominated for Oscar and this was left out!!

Water Horse is fun.

Gasp. FUN! No! Must shun!!! The Oscars would never lower themselves to such base emotion!! *hissssss*
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    HeeroJF wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Water Horse is fun.

Gasp. FUN! No! Must shun!!! The Oscars would never lower themselves to such base emotion!! *hissssss*

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

JNH is becoming one of my favourites composers, he is very irregular but his voice is becoming stronger and when he is good, he is really Good.

You sum it up very well - inconsistent, but his best stuff really is very good. I certainly really liked The Happening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN DEBNEY - Lair

For me, this is massive entertainment once i programmed out the Lisbeth Scott tracks. I really can't stand them.

Care about your words. Lisbeth is my true loves.

She is the worst vocalist I have ever heard in my entire life.

I know Steven said this on purpose, but there's truth to that. Apart that -apparently inspired for everyone involved- work in PASSION OF THE CHRIST, i find the rest of her singing truly generic, bored, careless and damn-cliched. To my ears, most of the times she's even worse and more tiring than even Lisa Gerrard who has derived into something film music really does NOT need.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:THe Happening (James Newton Howard)

A great combination of War of the Worlds, Godzilla and The VIllage.

After my first dissapointment, Now I think it's one of the best scores of the year (Im still fighting about if it's better than I am Legend, wich contains one of his best themes )

JNH is becoming one of my favourites composers, he is very irregular but his voice is becoming stronger and when he is good, he is really Good.

Couldn't agree more; he's one of the last few artists left in film music nowadays, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN DEBNEY - Lair

For me, this is massive entertainment once i programmed out the Lisbeth Scott tracks. I really can't stand them.

Then you are missing out on some of the most original and breathtaking cues out of the entire score.

-Erik-

I've heard them numerous times; the orchestral textures and melodies are very impressive indeed, and touching but ontop of that and amidst her vocals, there's nothing breathtaking in her forced performance and certainly not originality either as they stem from PASSION OF THE CHRIST to GLADIATOR and back, imo. The rest of the orchestral material is pretty kick ass though;
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Katiek wrote
    OK, I'm playing a CD from a Japanese animated film, but I need help figuring out which one spin

I got it from a friend some time ago, but now I can't remember the name of the film (and of course the info is all in Japanese).

Here is a picture of the front and back of the cd - can anyone help me identify it? The cover is a cat driving a train, and the front car of the train is shaped like a snail. The music is very soothing - it features an instrument that sounds like chimes (almost like this music box my parents play at Christmastime)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb15 … 0_1861.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb15 … 0_1859.jpg

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The album title is:

Howl's Moving Castle: The Alpha-Wave Music Box ~ Ghibli Collection

Actually it's not a soundtrack... it's just a compilation of Ghibli music played by music box-ish sound (produced by a somewhat questionable laboratory dizzy ). At the bottom of the back cover, it says:

"The beautiful sound of The Alpha-Wave Music Box on this CD includes cerebrophysiologically concerned subtle wandering signals. These signals induce your alpha-waves and make your mind and body relaxed blah blah blah" dizzy dizzy dizzy

This kind of albums are sold at bookstores or supermarkets, at very low prices. And often played in hospital waiting rooms.

All tracks are taken from Hisaishi's themes except 1st and 3rd tracks (the ending songs from Howl and Spirited Away). But this album cover art has nothing to do with Ghibli movies. dizzy

It may be nice to listen as relaxing background music, but nothing like Hisaishi's original scores...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Holiday - Hans Zimmer

I love it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Holiday - Hans Zimmer

I love it

The last track is amazing punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I´ve been following that "wailing woman" debate for a while now.

It is true that Lair really goes over the top with this one, but the whole score is over the top. I love it for that exact reason, it´s shameless audio boasting. ^^

Generally, I have nothing against the wailing woman effect, too. It may have been a cliche for a while, but now it is so frequently used that for me, it has just become another instrument in scoring, to be used or not as the composer sees fit like any other exotic instrument.

I agree though, that there are good and not so good artists, as is the case with any other instrument. Whether it´s wailing or just normal solo singing, I appreciate its use if done well. I can listen to Sissel´s voice performing for Titanic without end. I really, really would appreciate a LOTR release with her doing the solo parts. She took my breath in Antwerpen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN DEBNEY - Lair

Care about your words. Lisbeth is my true loves.

She is the worst vocalist I have ever heard in my entire life.

I know Steven said this on purpose, but there's truth to that.

...oh, and Jordi smells.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Manhole - Chris Brandkamp

It has very nice melodies (especially introduction theme), even if its synth sounds are cheap. And this game music reminds me of my childhood biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: La La Land's preview clips from Batman: The Animated Series - Shirley Walker and co.

Oh my gosh, can't wait!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Miya wrote

The what? shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Miya wrote

The what? shocked

hehehe... manhole
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh;
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Miya wrote

The what? shocked

hehehe... manhole

sick...
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Miya wrote

The what? shocked

hehehe... manhole

sick...

The Manhole is an innocent game for innocent kids tongue wink
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manhole
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's also a way to enter a sewage works.

No, that's not a euphemism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    lol biggrin

NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

cool
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Miya wrote
    The album title is:

Actually it's not a soundtrack... it's just a compilation of Ghibli music played by music box-ish sound (produced by a somewhat questionable laboratory dizzy ). At the bottom of the back cover, it says:

"The beautiful sound of The Alpha-Wave Music Box on this CD includes cerebrophysiologically concerned subtle wandering signals. These signals induce your alpha-waves and make your mind and body relaxed blah blah blah" dizzy dizzy dizzy

This kind of albums are sold at bookstores or supermarkets, at very low prices. And often played in hospital waiting rooms.

All tracks are taken from Hisaishi's themes except 1st and 3rd tracks (the ending songs from Howl and Spirited Away). But this album cover art has nothing to do with Ghibli movies. dizzy

It may be nice to listen as relaxing background music, but nothing like Hisaishi's original scores...

Thanks, Miya very helpful! Your answer also explains the "music box" sounds. I have a number of Hisaishi's real themes that I love and none of them use the music box instrument so I was really wondering where this CD came from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    It's also a way to enter a sewage works.

No, that's not a euphemism.

Yeah, innocently is how they start doing this stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Miya wrote
    The album title is:

Whoops. Yeah, "Ha - wa - ru" for "Howl"... I apparently mistook the "wa" katakana for "ma". I am humbled. Sorry for my assumptions. But you can see how I mistook those two, with creative font and all.

NP: La banda J. & S. cronaca criminale del far west, Ennio Morricone
    Obviously a nice and concise movie title, like Lair or Bug. But crazy title aside, this is another one of the maestro's truly fun westerns. Way short but amazing stuff.
  1. Titanic (James Horner)

Still rates very high in my book, one of his best... This score has it all: beautiful themes, pounding action, powerful drama. When this came out I couldn't stop listening to it; now I listen to it at least once a year. An emotional ride from start to end for me.

5 STARS

The Mexican (Alan Silvestri)

Pretty fun Silvestri, I'd love to see him do some more western-flavoured scoring, like Back to the Future III, he sure has solid inspiration when it comes to this type of music.

3.5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Postman James Newton Howard

Such a brilliant score hindered by quite mixing. Needs some fiddling with the compression to even out the loud and quiet parts.

...wait, I could do that at uni!? I finally have some sort of aim in life!
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Mexican (Alan Silvestri)

Pretty fun Silvestri, I'd love to see him do some more western-flavoured scoring, like Back to the Future III, he sure has solid inspiration when it comes to this type of music.

3.5 STARS

Personally I'd give that score another star or two, even. I find it incredible! It's part of that made me a Silvestri fan again. It also helps that I'm such a huge sucker for Morricone-style Mexicanas. This one can tango with the best of them.

NP: The Boys from Brazil, Goldsmith
    Yay!! 110 minutes of yay! bunny
  2. Steven wrote
    The Postman James Newton Howard

Such a brilliant score hindered by quite mixing. Needs some fiddling with the compression to even out the loud and quiet parts.

...wait, I could do that at uni!? I finally have some sort of aim in life!
    cheesy

And what an interesting aim it is. I adore The Postman and wished there was more material available than the official album. I´d love to hear what you get out of it, man!
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    HeeroJF wrote
    Whoops. Yeah, "Ha - wa - ru" for "Howl"... I apparently mistook the "wa" katakana for "ma". I am humbled. Sorry for my assumptions. But you can see how I mistook those two, with creative font and all.

Thanks for your help as well! smile

NP: For Roseanna, Trevor Jones - I love the Main Theme, so romantic and lush