• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    Katiek wrote
    NP: For Roseanna, Trevor Jones - I love the Main Theme, so romantic and lush

Agreed! I really like all facets of Trevor Jones.

NP: Catwoman, Klaus Badelt
    I'm still working on this mammoth release. It's a lot of very generic stuff to wrap my head around. But upon this current listening, the track "Patience Drowns/Cat Magic and Resurrection" has really caught my attention. This is getting better.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    So far today:

Se7en
    Secondhand Lions
    Four Feathers

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008 edited
    omaha wrote
    So far today:

Se7en
    Secondhand Lions
    Four Feathers

smile

Awesome! I was just thinking of playing the latter two, myself. Gotta be in a special mindframe to really yearn for Se7en though. shocked Right now I'm just starting on Lucky You by Christopher Young. Not his best. Way too trendy. And soooo long.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Species - Christopher Young

One of his best. Intrada's new release is really well put-together. I've listened to it many, many times already.
  1. Largo Winch - Alexandre Desplat

Indeed, perhaps this is the closest we'll get to a Desplat Bond score. Closer to HOSTAGE than any of his other scores, but not as dark. The variations on the theme in 'Chosen One' are my favourite part to date.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Largo Winch - Alexandre Desplat

Indeed, perhaps this is the closest we'll get to a Desplat Bond score. Closer to HOSTAGE than any of his other scores, but not as dark. The variations on the theme in 'Chosen One' are my favourite part to date.

Indeed, indeed wink If only Q.O.S was half as good, imo.

Michael, what do you think of the more subtle, deeply melodic material like in the pieces "Croatian Sorrow" or " two brothers", "chosen one" for instance.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I still like Quantum of Solace. It's a better score than film, for me.

I'll have to spend a bit more time with the score, but 'Chosen One' and 'Lea's theme' are definitely pleasant melodic surprises.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008 edited
    NP: Beastmaster 2, Robert Folk
    Several artists out there could learn a thing or two from this one on how to write one truly kick-ass uncompromising action score!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Gun
    Fun score by Lennertz with a great theme!
  3. HeeroJF wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Mexican (Alan Silvestri)

Pretty fun Silvestri, I'd love to see him do some more western-flavoured scoring, like Back to the Future III, he sure has solid inspiration when it comes to this type of music.

3.5 STARS

Personally I'd give that score another star or two, even. I find it incredible! It's part of that made me a Silvestri fan again. It also helps that I'm such a huge sucker for Morricone-style Mexicanas. This one can tango with the best of them.

NP: The Boys from Brazil, Goldsmith
    Yay!! 110 minutes of yay! bunny

Ok, I get it about The Mexican but I have to shocked when you talk about The Boys from Brazil, I just can't get into it. I don't know about its function in the movie, which should be spot on I assume, but this is one heck of a difficult score for me... and I love Goldsmith, complex or not, even from that period but there's just too much uninteresting underscore in there. And I was hoping I found some lost gem, too bad.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Beyond Borders (Horner)

One of the most fresh, original and touching Horner scores...Ever!

I love how he tried to investigate sounds here.I even enjoy de 10 minutes techno of Cambodia for the same reason I enjoyed "syncrothone" from BHD.

Does anyone notice the copy and paste moment from Michael Land's "the dig"????It's mind Blowing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Beyond Borders (Horner)

One of the most fresh, original and touching Horner scores...Ever!

I love how he tried to investigate sounds here.I even enjoy de 10 minutes techno of Cambodia for the same reason I enjoyed "syncrothone" from BHD.

Does anyone notice the copy and paste moment from Michael Land's "the dig"????It's mind Blowing.

How do you do that?!?? Do we share a mind or something??? shocked I've got "Cambodia Pt.2" blaring out of my speakers as we speak! Great score indeed.

DreamTheater wrote
    Ok, I get it about The Mexican but I have to shocked when you talk about The Boys from Brazil, I just can't get into it. I don't know about its function in the movie, which should be spot on I assume, but this is one heck of a difficult score for me... and I love Goldsmith, complex or not, even from that period but there's just too much uninteresting underscore in there. And I was hoping I found some lost gem, too bad.

How the score washed over me as I played it today was very automatic. It's like Goldsmith's style was working subliminally on me. I wasn't even trying to follow along and yet I was guided by every note. In fact, perhaps if I *had* tried too hard I would've felt lost. Granted I feel that Disc 2 in its entirety may not have been necessary at all, and is yet another cheap way for Intrada to score an extra $10 (FSM sells their own 2-disc releases at $25, not $30, and theirs are usually warranted!), but I still do appreciate this score very much. Then again I also love every note of Planet of the Apes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    HeeroJF wrote
    Miya wrote
    The album title is:

Howl's Moving Castle: The Alpha-Wave Music Box ~ Ghibli Collection

Whoops. Yeah, "Ha - wa - ru" for "Howl"... I apparently mistook the "wa" katakana for "ma". I am humbled. Sorry for my assumptions. But you can see how I mistook those two, with creative font and all.

Actually it's "Ha - u - ru". The dot of "u" floated up. biggrin

NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Medal Of Honor: Airborne - Michael Giacchino

Terrific!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Kiss kiss Bang Bang- I'm not a major Ottman fan, but this score certainly has its moments.
    Last Man Standing (Cooder version)- What a fun, jazzy, period score. The berry sax used in the opening track and through much of the score gives a perfect feel for the film.
    Lethal Weapon- A little Kamen is good for the soul cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Miya wrote

NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

Okay, now you're scaring me!! "The Way of the Sword" just finished playing for me!! Am I channeling various members of the board tonight?? Has anyone else also listened to Elmer Bernstein's By Love Possessed by any chance??

After this listening of The Last Samurai (my first in many months) I think I've grown a new respect for more parts of this score, not just the big powerful obvious ones. There's a lot more depth in there than a typical Zimmer score. Kind of a foreshadowing of DaVinci Code.

Miya wrote
    Actually it's "Ha - u - ru". The dot of "u" floated up. biggrin

That's a "u"??? Wow, funny font indeed. I never realized that a "u" had a dot, I thought that line was connected.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    Largo Winch - Alexandre Desplat

Yup, that is one seriously good theme! I really like the slurring brass at the beginning of Nerio's Theme too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fantasy at the Movies Erik Woods

Fookin' awesome music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Fantasy at the Movies Erik Woods

Fookin' awesome music.

Totally agree!
    A great selection of music! punk
  4. Resident Evil: Orchestra album (Masami Ueda)

Excellent album containing full symphonic versions of the major themes from the first 3 videogames released for the Playstation. These melodies are so richly orchestrated it elevates the album to one to definitely check out, even if you're not fond of the music in the games (which is mostly synthesized droning anyway). The save room melodies and music from the cutscenes/intros all make an appearance. There are also some very exciting action pieces which sound 1000 times better than their ingame counterparts.

4 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Largo Winch (Alexandre Desplat)

The softer passages are really good, but the action parts are Desplat playing David Arnold, and honestly, give me the latter anytime.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: Lightning Jack, Bruce Rowland
    Really accessible western score by a veteran of the genre.
  5. The Shadow - expanded (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of the most fun from Goldsmith in the nineties... this is great stuff. I've always loved the main theme but found the score way too short. This expanded bootleg works wonders for my mood. Just more of all the brilliant themes is what I need right now. If I could wish just for one thing on this godforsaken planet, I would instantly make Mr. Goldsmith come back from his eternal sleep, so he can write us some more of this fantastic stuff...

4 STARS
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: Bolero, Peter & Elmer Bernstein
    I loooove this Spanish-influenced score. Peter's flamenco flourish is terrific, but Elmer's contributions easily steal the show with their sweeping majesty. And I gotta keep the CD cover out of sight, here at my work, for all the nudity depicted.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Shadow - expanded (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of the most fun from Goldsmith in the nineties... this is great stuff. I've always loved the main theme but found the score way too short. This expanded bootleg works wonders for my mood. Just more of all the brilliant themes is what I need right now. If I could wish just for one thing on this godforsaken planet, I would instantly make Mr. Goldsmith come back from his eternal sleep, so he can write us some more of this fantastic stuff...

4 STARS

I just started listening to the same thing as I began reading this thread. Something is happening here...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing : Weather man Complete (Zimmer).

Wow..I didn't notice "Solaris" influences in this score. it is sometimes mind blowing!

Interesting, more interesting than i remembered.

NP:Horton Hears a Who (Powell)

It's fresh, inventive, action packed, tender, epic, thematically reach (attention to the Kangooro's theme) and it fits perfectly with Dr Seuss world!

Becoming my second favourite Powell Score.

Mountain Chase and Clover Field Search what a duet!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

What's your favourite?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

What's your favourite?

Mmm.... It depends of the day but It's one of those two scores: Happy feet or Paycheck. Mr and Mrs Smith and Agent Cody banks are close, ver close.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

What's your favourite?

Mmm.... It depends of the day but It's one of those two scores: Happy feet or Paycheck. Mr and Mrs Smith and Agent Cody banks are close, ver close.

For me it would be Happy Feet, Bourne Ultimatum or Mr & Mrs Smith. Paycheck is close behind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

For me it would be Happy Feet, Bourne Ultimatum or Mr & Mrs Smith. Paycheck is close behind.

For me it's Paycheck all the way. Then Cody Banks, Horton and Robots, with strong kudos to Pluto Nash.

NP: Taras Bulba, Franz Waxman
    Anyone else listening to this? Are we still all under this Twilight Zone-style vibe?