• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Weather man (Zimmer)

Wonder how much of this score is from James S Levine (It sounds pretty close to Nip /Tuck).

Anyway.... shocked Weather man blows my mind away! It's like Clif Martinez Solaris but with Zimmer credited as a composer...I can't belive I didn't hear this score more often at his time....

I think it's gonna take a world of patience for me to ever like this score the way you talk about it... Granted I just got it last month, but it's so demanding... Nothing really stands out, it's just one long uninterrupted Matchstick Men but without the charm. Well, as I said, maybe a lot of patience will do it.

Marselus wrote
    Yes you are right, Evolution set the stage; Agent Cody Banks was the culmination of his kinda sound, the one he has later developed and the reason why I love Powell´s music. But certainly, Evolution (AND Rat Race the same year; a favourite of mine btw) were the first steps.

I agree Evolution and Rat Race really set the stage for what was to come in John Powell's career. What lay before was Face/Off. Hardly cut off from the tired old MV mold at that point. But to go as far as saying there's something missing from his recent scores that makes us harken back to those roots?? Just listening to Horton is enough to make me disagree on that. I think Powell's music has only been improving throughout the years.

NP: The Ant Bully, John Debney
    I really never gave this one much of a chance before I stashed away on my shelves. Lemme go back here to see anything I might have missed.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    Re: Ant Bully
    Oh, right, I'm remembering now. It's all really a lot of mickey-mousing except for the really powerful bookending tracks and the "Wasp Attack". Overall one of those "generic Debney bit of score."
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Re: Ant Bully, still
    Agh! The last few notes of that main theme are reminding me of something so fierce!!! What could it be?

NP: Battle of Britain,
    composed by Ron Goodwin
    co-composed by Sir William Walton
    conducted by Sir Malcolm Arnold

Amazing stuff. But why, oh why, of these three artists, the one that I truly admire and would consider myself an avid fan of is the only single one without the knighted title? Is there no justice in this world?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Played this evening:
    Secondhand Lions- again, I know
    My Life (Barry)- What a beautiful score and film. Very powerful and emotional. The theme is excellent.
    • CommentAuthormirdle
    Played all day:

Man Without A Face - Horner

Beautiful score, low key, not too depressing. I'm embarrassed I hadn't discovered this gem sooner!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    mirdle wrote
    Played all day:

Man Without A Face - Horner

Beautiful score, low key, not too depressing. I'm embarrassed I hadn't discovered this gem sooner!

Aye, great score. Great for studying and doing work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Evan Almighty - John Debney

I like this quite a lot! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Hairspray - Marc Shaiman & Scott Wittman

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Gears Of War 2 (Jablonsky)

Jablonsky best score ever!

shocked
    No on so many levels!! Transformers, Steamboy, even D-War! For me, Gears of War 2 is average at best. And way behind Riepl's original.

I haven´t listened the first one, but I agree that Gears of War 2 is average, even if the main theme and the action cues are really good; but Transformers or Steamboy are better.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    HeeroJF wrote
    I agree Evolution and Rat Race really set the stage for what was to come in John Powell's career. What lay before was Face/Off. Hardly cut off from the tired old MV mold at that point.

While I agree that Face Off has some of the old MV sound, I´ve always thought it already contained elements of Powell´s writing he later developed (the string writing in the face lift scene for example).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Gears Of War 2 (Jablonsky)

Jablonsky best score ever!

shocked
    No on so many levels!! Transformers, Steamboy, even D-War! For me, Gears of War 2 is average at best. And way behind Riepl's original.

I haven´t listened the first one, but I agree that Gears of War 2 is average, even if the main theme and the action cues are really good; but Transformers or Steamboy are better.

I never understood why people likes Steamboy. Is just string progressions and percusion. It's a very poor in orchestrations, and the themes are taken from The Man in the iron Mask and Tears of the sun.

NP:The Dark Knight cd 2 (Zimmer and Howard)

Well...more interesting tracks than I could expect, but not enough interesting to justify this realease.

you really need 2 A list composers, 1 guy doing ambient design and 1 other guy doing additional music to make a 10 minutes track like "the ferries". 10 minuts of nothing!

At least " a watchful guardin" make the typical "triumph" rendition of the Batman's theme. At least is more satisfactory..in fact the only satisfactory track of this..."complete"

The remixes are the best from this cd. They are cool like in At world's End remixes. Seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

The remixes are the best from this cd. They are cool like in At world's End remixes. Seriously.

shocked
    Really? Oh my.....wait....wait.... vomit vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

One of my personal favourites of this year. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mine too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    In keeping with the "Legend" theme I set forth last night, I'm currently listening to:

The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker - Koji Kondo & cie
    I picked that particular Zelda mostly because I haven't taken the time to absorb it as much as the other ones, and I haven't played the game yet either. It's all nice and folksy, but we're still a long way from A Link to the Past, the best Zelda score from the best period in video game history, imo.
  1. CLEOPATRA (TREVOR JONES)

Mainly discovered this one on recommendation of the people here, but I had heard the main theme before. This is the kind of Jones I appreciate the most: highly thematic, and gorgeous themes, big rhythmic cues... This may well become one of my favorites from him. It's funny but it's been many years since I bought a Trevor Jones score, after From Hell I sort of lost interest, but to actually discover one of his hidden gems is like getting reacquainted with an old friend. And after meeting him during the WSA, I've been wanting to track down more of this very talented man.

4 STARS

And Dinotopia is the next on my list. Hoping it will be as good.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DreamTheater wrote

It just about is, but takes a lot more to dig through and warm up to its themes. But with patience it can arguably be just as good. Cleopatra does remain my favourite Jones score by far, personally. For me it's a 5-star piece, no doubt. It's great to see people discovering this little bit of magic. I find it fascinating that Jones did Gladiator before there was Gladiator, and yet Zimmer and Gerrard are the ones getting all the credit and nominations.

"Rome Decrees": omg punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I skipped the 2nd disc of Windwaker because a) the score really isn't that good and b) I have lots other stuff I want to listen to today.

My second "Legend" score of the day:

The Legend of the Lone Ranger, John Barry
    Big, bold and yet sweeping like a typical Barry score. And quite varied, instead of just relying on a single theme. Just a tad short. Those two tracks featuring spoken monologues over the music are a bit annoying too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

shocked
    Really? Oh my.....wait....wait.... vomit vomit

"They are cool like in at world's end remixes" is the funniest thing i've heard lately.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Spider-Man 2 Complete Danny Elfman

I love this guy. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I love this guy. love

His SPIDERMAN material is some of the best stuff he's written in his whole career. Ages beyond the generic stuff that make up for the third instalment, especially the vomit-inducing Deborah Lurie stuff; it seems to amateurish in comparison with the Elfman's spiderman.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    CLEOPATRA (TREVOR JONES)

Mainly discovered this one on recommendation of the people here, but I had heard the main theme before. This is the kind of Jones I appreciate the most: highly thematic, and gorgeous themes, big rhythmic cues... This may well become one of my favorites from him. It's funny but it's been many years since I bought a Trevor Jones score, after From Hell I sort of lost interest, but to actually discover one of his hidden gems is like getting reacquainted with an old friend. And after meeting him during the WSA, I've been wanting to track down more of this very talented man.

4 STARS

aha, so you got them?

Next on my long list to review scores, the Jones pack smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I love this guy. love

His SPIDERMAN material is some of the best stuff he's written in his whole career. Ages beyond the generic stuff that make up for the third instalment, especially the vomit-inducing Deborah Lurie stuff; it seems to amateurish in comparison with the Elfman's spiderman.

Elfman is a very intuitive film composer. He may not make the most memorable themes all the time, but they're always very fitting and he sure knows how to score any film given to him. That's an amazing skill, one that I'm insanely jealous of. slant wink

What I love about Elfman is his uniqueness. You can usually tell that it's an Elfman score, but then he also explores new ideas. Some of his music in Hulk was very unique to Elfman's pallet I think, and a very underrated score. A thousands times better than the newest Hulk score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Some of his music in Hulk was very unique to Elfman's pallet I think, and a very underrated score. A thousands times better than the newest Hulk score.

Word. Let's just face it, the newest Hulk score is a clear example of someone outside their waters, a very amateurish, soulless example like the other dozens of similar ones - scores on auto-pilot, forgettable, easily digested and completely impersonal. I really hope Armstrong doesn't take up a score that's clearly outside his stylistic range again 'cause i consider him an otherwise gifted artists. In comparison to Elfman's very good and sadly underrated score for Hulk, it doesn't simply pale, but it's also quite childish in places too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Just finished playing, predictably:

Legends of the Fall, James Horner
    Nothing to add about this masterpiece that hasn't already been said.

And, NP:
    The Legend of Mythica, Alan Silvestri
    Disney Tokyo score album. Alan Silvestri is in top form in this large-scale effort. A pity it's not a well-known album. A little slightly distracting Japanese spoken word over the music, but relatively very little, and mostly in the beginning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh...oops...my previous post was in the wrong thread shame

NP: The Legend Of Butch And Cassidy - Basil Poledouris
    Basil's last score is just a wonder, with a beautiful main theme, some lovely folksy playfulness and the robust orchestration he did so exceedingly well. MMM's most excellent release to date! THANKS, Mikael! kiss
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    So far today:

Gun
    Largo Winch
    Second Hand Lions
    Shoot 'em up
    Signs
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    Oh...oops...my previous post was in the wrong thread shame

NP: The Legend Of Butch And Cassidy - Basil Poledouris
    Basil's last score is just a wonder, with a beautiful main theme, some lovely folksy playfulness and the robust orchestration he did so exceedingly well. MMM's most excellent release to date! THANKS, Mikael! kiss

Oh, good one! I agree. But I would call it MMM's most inspired release to date, but as far as "excellency" goes, I think George and the Dragon takes the cake. That score is:
    omgomgomg

NP: Legend
    The Tangerine Dream version, extended edition, finally featuring the main theme in all its glory. I'd have grabbed the much superior Goldsmith album instead but I actually listened to that one not terribly long ago.

I take back what I said about Legend of Mythica: there are actually many more spoken words than I remembered, but it's really not all that intrusive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote

Shoot 'em up

Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: The Legend of 1900, Ennio Morricone
    Can the man do no wrong??