• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    omaha wrote

Shoot 'em up

Why?

biggrin

Yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: The Legend of 1900, Ennio Morricone
    Can the man do no wrong??

Mmmm...try Citta' Violenta.
    All in all his seventies Italian crime scene genre is rather too avant garde for me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: The Legend of 1900, Ennio Morricone
    Can the man do no wrong??

Mmmm...try Citta' Violenta.
    All in all his seventies Italian crime scene genre is rather too avant garde for me.

I LOVE Città Violenta! On a totally different level than Addio, fratello crudele and Fateless, of course, but I think that's a bad example of his not-so-good avant-garde style.

Rampage and Il diavolo nel cervello on the other hand are fine example of his poo-poo suspense phase. vomit So, yes, I guess he really can do wrong, but I have no doubt these suspenseful scores did wonders for their respective films.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No doubt at all... and with the prodigiousness of the man, the good easily outweighs the bad by a factor of about 1138!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thank you, mister Spock.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    omaha wrote

Shoot 'em up

Why?

haha, it was in the 's''s on my iPod... and I was in the 's''s.
    yeah, the score is just a bunch of guitar, but the movie is a blast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    S? As in "shit" i suppose? tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    S? As in "shit" i suppose? tongue

I listened to second hand lions, then to shoot 'em up shame , then signs cheesy , and now the 6th sense. Yes shoot 'em up is terrible, but better than a lot of the crap these days. shame And I didn't listen to it all the way through. I skipped through it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    HeeroJF wrote
    In keeping with the "Legend" theme I set forth last night, I'm currently listening to:

The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker - Koji Kondo & cie
    I picked that particular Zelda mostly because I haven't taken the time to absorb it as much as the other ones, and I haven't played the game yet either. It's all nice and folksy, but we're still a long way from A Link to the Past, the best Zelda score from the best period in video game history, imo.

A much more original and absorving game than the overrated Twilight Princess (wich I'm trying to finish, but I'm always bored. And I'm A Zelda fan.).

NP:Balto (Horner)

A fantastic main theme but Overall too repetitive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Nautilus wrote

Really?? I find it richly textured and every track brings a new wealth of material and variations, I feel. The only thing I truly find repetitive is obviously the near-identical repeat of the theme song bookending the score.

As for Windwaker, the game, it's been sitting on my shelf for a long time, waiting to be played. I have no doubt I'll find the game very original indeed and absorbing... but perhaps a bit too original?? Can I emphasize enough how puke-y the character design is in that game?? To see Link go from dashing and hunky on the N64 to that short-legged, almond-eyed excuse for a cartoon is sad... so sad...
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Really?? I find it richly textured and every track brings a new wealth of material and variations, I feel. The only thing I truly find repetitive is obviously the near-identical repeat of the theme song bookending the score.

You will find during your time here that Jordi will come out with some very odd opinions indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Perhaps those odd opinions are in an attempt to get even.

... sorry if that one was a little too deep.
  1. Get even about what?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    (About nothing. It was a terrible pun. "odd"... "even"... sorry suicide)

NP: The Legend of Zorro, James Horner
    Like most everyone I agree it's not as legendary as the first one, but still ranks in my top 50! The Horner of old is back with this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There are a few heretics who believe it to be superior to the first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    (About nothing. It was a terrible pun. "odd"... "even"... sorry suicide)

Not the first time, you know. tongue biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Is it me Hero, or do you seem to be the only one that's only listening to the ''legend'' scores today. rolleyes tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

That's because it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

That's because it is.

You are no longer welcome in the church of Scorism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It seems I'm your Jordi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    We're much like Sonny and Cher, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

That's because it is.

Ouch! Leet mi git ma buckit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

That's because it is.

No. it is not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Of course there are times when he gets it right.
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    CLEOPATRA (TREVOR JONES)

Mainly discovered this one on recommendation of the people here, but I had heard the main theme before. This is the kind of Jones I appreciate the most: highly thematic, and gorgeous themes, big rhythmic cues... This may well become one of my favorites from him. It's funny but it's been many years since I bought a Trevor Jones score, after From Hell I sort of lost interest, but to actually discover one of his hidden gems is like getting reacquainted with an old friend. And after meeting him during the WSA, I've been wanting to track down more of this very talented man.

4 STARS

And Dinotopia is the next on my list. Hoping it will be as good.

aha, so you got them?

Next on my long list to review scores, the Jones pack smile

Yep, little did I know these were on sale through the Trevor Jones homepage... I didn't even know there was one. Now there's a thought for other composers to think about.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. HeeroJF wrote

As for Windwaker, the game, it's been sitting on my shelf for a long time, waiting to be played. I have no doubt I'll find the game very original indeed and absorbing... but perhaps a bit too original?? Can I emphasize enough how puke-y the character design is in that game?? To see Link go from dashing and hunky on the N64 to that short-legged, almond-eyed excuse for a cartoon is sad... so sad...

Played it a while back and thorougly enjoyed it, but then I don't have the sort of fanboyish adoration for the Zelda series... In fact I never completed Ocarina of Time, it didn't hold my interest, but Wind Waker re-awakened my interest in Link's adventures. And I liked the cel-shaded graphics a lot, it was different yet very stylish visually. Currently going through Twilight Princess... the game is huge but what a fantastic journey it's been. The graphics are a little more pleasing to the eyes for the general public. I know WW wasn't to everyone's liking.

Sorry for the off topic rant.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DreamTheater wrote
    Played it a while back and thorougly enjoyed it, but then I don't have the sort of fanboyish adoration for the Zelda series... In fact I never completed Ocarina of Time, it didn't hold my interest, but Wind Waker re-awakened my interest in Link's adventures. And I liked the cel-shaded graphics a lot, it was different yet very stylish visually. Currently going through Twilight Princess... the game is huge but what a fantastic journey it's been. The graphics are a little more pleasing to the eyes for the general public. I know WW wasn't to everyone's liking.

Sorry for the off topic rant.

The main reason I heard that WW wasn't to people's liking was that it was too short. But I think that's a bad reason. As for the graphics: I was never attacking the graphics, persay. I actually adore cell-shading. But it's the graphic design that upsets me, if you get what I mean. I just would've liked to see a differently-drawn Link with cell shading.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

That's because it is.

You are no longer welcome in the church of Scorism.

People, people! How can we argue about which one is the best among two deeply and thematically inter-connected masterpieces of modern film music!! Arguing between them is like arguing about a Mona Lisa and another slightly better Mona Lisa. If anything I'd say both scores are meant to be listened to back-to-back.

And then pop in Partition, because the theme is somewhat similar.