• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Is it me Hero, or do you seem to be the only one that's only listening to the ''legend'' scores today. rolleyes tongue

Well it was a theme that amused me! ^.^ Wasn't a rule for anyone else to follow, exactly. But Martijn did jump on the bandwagon once with Legend of Butch and Cassidy.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    There are a few heretics who believe it to be superior to the first.

That's because it is.

You are no longer welcome in the church of Scorism.

People, people! How can we argue about which one is the best among two deeply and thematically inter-connected masterpieces of modern film music!! Arguing between them is like arguing about a Mona Lisa and another slightly better Mona Lisa. If anything I'd say both scores are meant to be listened to back-to-back.

And then pop in Partition, because the theme is somewhat similar.

I, on the other hand, consider the first a thematically-rich modern film music masterpiece whereas the 2nd is yawn-inducing, uninspired repetitions of the first but without its wit and vibrant twist. Imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Sequels are hard... Because we've listened to the original so many times, and we know the themes already, we're usually less patient with sequels and never give them quite as many chances to let the semi-thematic and non-thematic melodies to sink it and hook us with their richness, if richness there is. No wonder Danny Elfman has always been reluctant to sequels of his own work...
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love the second one, it's a great score IMO. I just prefer the first one, it feels more dramatic, more emotional. Legend is Mask's fun, sexy sister.
  1. I agree with Steven's post, Legend is fun but it doesn't hold a candle to Mask of Zorro, yet on its own it's one of his better of the decade.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DreamTheater wrote
    I agree with Steven's post, Legend is fun but it doesn't hold a candle to Mask of Zorro, yet on its own it's one of his better of the decade.

Er, I say it's the best piece of music, of any genre, style or media, written it all of the 90s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

Beautiful. I hope he does it like this for Angels and Demons too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008 edited
    That's it! Yesterday I commented that the Ant Bully main theme reminded me of another score. It's JNH's Postman.

All things said, Ant Bully really does have an incredible theme, couple with some very JHN-like arrangements (no wonder it reminded me of him). Truly, the score has exactly six worthy tracks:

Parade of the Ants
    Wasp Attack
    Hang Gliding
    Frog Attack
    Launching the Attack
    Bullies and Sweet Rock

With the occasional exception, the rest of the score is essentially crap. Truly an uneven score if ever there was one. But really, if anyone can check out just that final track, so do! It's wonderful!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory- has some great tracks smile
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    HeeroJF wrote
    That's it! Yesterday I commented that the Ant Bully main theme reminded me of another score. It's JNH's Postman.

All things said, Ant Bully really does have an incredible theme, couple with some very JHN-like arrangements (no wonder it reminded me of him). Truly, the score has exactly six worthy tracks:

Parade of the Ants
    Wasp Attack
    Hang Gliding
    Frog Attack
    Launching the Attack
    Bullies and Sweet Rock

With the occasional exception, the rest of the score is essentially crap. Truly an uneven score if ever there was one. But really, if anyone can check out just that final track, so do! It's wonderful!

Well it's temp-tracked mostly on Atlantis.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    omaha wrote
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory- has some great tracks smile

Yup. A shame the CD is missing the brilliant "Heist" cue. I think this is available on 5.1 DVD however... beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

That's because it is.

No. it is not.

Yes, it is.

It's the fleshing out of everything written for Mask Of Zorro, and then some: it's the wildest, most powerful spanish-flavoured score since El Cid, and I bloody love it!
    Legend Of Zorro for the win every time!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote

Parade of the Ants
    Wasp Attack
    Hang Gliding
    Frog Attack
    Launching the Attack
    Bullies and Sweet Rock

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you're accusing Debney of plagiarism and unoriginality ? nOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, TO THE FIREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

That's because it is.

No. it is not.

Yes, it is.

It's the fleshing out of everything written for Mask Of Zorro, and then some: it's the wildest, most powerful spanish-flavoured score since El Cid, and I bloody love it!
    Legend Of Zorro for the win every time!

You're right. The first one is terrific - and the sequel actually builds on it rather than just limply restating it (as some sequel scores can sometimes do) to become even better. Your statement about El Cid is a bold one - but one I would agree with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Terminal - John Williams

It's as good as it gets! tongue

I like both wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    RAMBO III (JERRY GOLDSMITH)

An action score that works on a emotional level, only Goldsmith could do that! I love the themes and the whole score is one of his most satisfying to listen to, with not one dull moment during its 76 minute running time. I've always preferred this over the other Rambo's, with enough pounding kickass action, yet with an equal amount of beautiful thematic development that pulls at the heartstrings. Where is such a score these days??? Rambo III is one that's never too far away from my CD player. love

4.5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    HeeroJF wrote
    ...some very JHN-like arrangements...

There's a lot of Atlantis: The Lost Empire in there, I seem to recall.

NP: Stop-Loss - John Powell

Possibly my favourite from Powell this year. Solemn, touching and very reflective. The piano is put to good use (Theme For Peace and Both Kinds Of Danger are both gorgeous). I also love the United 93-like percussion in Going Awol.

In my opinion, the main theme is one of his finest. I just love it.
  2. Miya wrote
    NP: The Terminal - John Williams

It's as good as it gets! tongue

I like both wink

lol

I love AGAIG and like The Terminal.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

NP: Stop-Loss - John Powell

Possibly my favourite from Powell this year. Solemn, touching and very reflective. The piano is put to good use (Theme For Peace and Both Kinds Of Danger are both gorgeous). I also love the United 93-like percussion in Going Awol.

In my opinion, the main theme is one of his finest. I just love it.

Couldn't agree more. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    PawelStroinski wrote

Me too. Both are good but AGAIG is more charming (for me).
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Indy and the Temple Of Doom (expanded) - John Williams

Let 'er rip! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Gears of War (Kevin Riepl) Vs Gears of War 2 (Steve Jablonsky)
    shocked

Awesome material by Riepl extended by Jablonsky. I have to admit I´ve made a Jordi here after listening the original cd of GoW2 (without the annoying fade outs / filler stuff of the game rip). Anyway, Riepl set the mood with a nice main theme and exciting action music and Jablonsky has extended it with his own Transformerish themes and incorporating Riepl´s GoW Main Theme and Locust´s Theme. Impressive.

Out of curiosity: why does some of the action writing of Riepl´s GoW remind me of Michael Giacchino´s Medal of Honor Saga?

1- The music itself is similar in style.
    2- The orchestra (Northwest Sinfonia) is the same that Giacchino used for MoH, MoH: Underground and MoH: Frontline.
    3- Same conductor (Tim Simonec).
    4- None of the previous, it´s just me.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Miya wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Me too. Both are good but AGAIG is more charming (for me).

Because in the end Zimmer wrote an European score in sound. This is why Spanglish is so good too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's AGAIG? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    What's AGAIG? slant

As Good as Jack Nichoslon Gets. 1997 film, Hans Zimmer Oscar nomination.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh, that.

I despise acronyms. It's laziness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you're accusing Debney of plagiarism and unoriginality ? nOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, TO THE FIREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

I see what you're saying, but actually I really wasn't saying that, no. I think there's nothing wrong with Debney sticking true to his style. Only, it's better when he does it with better and more even results such as Evan Almighty and most of Meet Dave. Like I said before: being original isn't everything. There can only be so many Herrmanns, Zimmers and Davis's in every generation. Just plain being good amounts for a lot in my book. Else nobody would like David Newman.

msi2 wrote
    Well it's temp-tracked mostly on Atlantis.

Give me a clone of Atlantis any day!! If the shoe fits...

NP: The Tuskegee Airmen, Lee Holdridge
    Definitely a title that belongs in the "flying" playlist thread a little while back. This music soars with its obvious, bold theme. Saw the movie a few weeks ago, too. This score doesn't need visuals go appreciate but it doesn't hurt. Very moving.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Oh, that.

I despise acronyms. It's laziness.

We once had an office party at my previous job where the game was "no acronyms". When you caught someone using an acronym, you'd get some of their chips from them (score chips that is, not food). An office party!!! Do you know how many acronyms typically fly around in daily office life! That was a fun game.

And I so completely played unfair: I was manipulating people into saying my own name. "J-F" is an acronym. Ka-ching!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, acronyms pretty much suck. The persons using them don't actually think about the time spent to explain them to people not familiar with those, which is actually far more than what it'd take to actually write the full sentence or phrase. wink

Heero, What kind of job do you do exactly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Computer programmer. That previous company, before I wound up on a government project, was a DSL-providing company. See, we couldn't even say the name of our product, let alone the name of the company!