• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    True. So true.

I like Silvestri's score, it takes a lot skill to produce something like that. But Goldsmith's gave The Mummy the perfect sound. For me, it was as integral to the movie as Williams' score for Raiders was.

Silvestri's score was more of a swashbuckler, and certainly suited the film... but it lacked the power and awe of Goldsmith's music IMO. Goldsmith's score was EPIC, Silvestri's was more, hmm, adventurous maybe? (Although 'epic' and 'adventurous' can easily apply to both scores.)

Well said! I do like Silvestri's score too smile

NP : Elaine Paige on BBC Radio 2

I don't normally listen to Paige ( too much emphasis on musicals vomit ) but this show is devoted to music of James Bond cool

sleep

Time for some real Bond music....

NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

Pure Bond genius! punk cool

I just HAD to replay Journey To Blofeld's Hideaway, one of Barry's most soaring and gorgeous melodies, a track that makes me yearn so much to be back in the Swiss Alps it hurts ( in a good way ), those horns...my god what a piece, very Mahler like, one of the most beautifully descriptive music for tranquil mountain scenery ever IMO cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ~ John Williams
    My dad's favourite! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Stavroula wrote

Junior!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Just finished Hisaishi's Ponyo On The Cliff, and before going to bed I'm playing the first track again.

He is a genius.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Anthony wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Junior!

Indeed!!! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Stavroula wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Junior!

Indeed!!! smile

Does anyone else find it hilarious whenever Sean Connery says that? It sounds more "jun-nur" with the accent! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Eagle Eye Brian Tyler

Quatum of Solace (both film and music) has put me in the mood for modern action music. This fits the bill nicely. cool
  1. NP: The Matrix - Deluxe Edition - Don Davis

I'm not the biggest fan of Matrix music but as a complete score this works to a certain extent, thanks to a couple of standout cues, and originality and complexity in the compositions. It's by no means a no-brainer and it's far from being a bore, but it might be a little hard to swallow sometimes. Luckily the end of the album is filled with the most thrilling stuff.

3,5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WILD GEESE - Roy Budd

Great 'in your face' boys own action adventure war score in a Ron Goodwin tradition. Thematic with hummable melodies, Budd died at a tragically young age.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MULAN - Jerry Goldsmith

A much loved score on this board......and I'm no different, lovely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    CLINT MANSELL - the fountain followed by REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

Top modern film music with a singular character and unmistakable identity.

I was playing the Fountain too. With Solaris , this is one of my all time favourites Mind Blowing scores.

I like this combination of trio of strings , piano and guitars ( very close to the Island sound)

NP:Sahara (mantsell)

One of the most addictive main themes I ever heard.

I must be the only one who enjoys the intimate stuff over the action stuff. While the first contains more tha personality of the composer, the second it's just nicholas Dodd doing his World is not Enough orchestrations.

I want composers with personality or Dodd credited as Co Composer!!

Nex I will play: Atlantis

Im very frustrated with this score.

The action stuff is terrific (leviathan or Dogfight), the Atlantis theme and stuff is Impressive (Crystal Chamber), and Kidda's love theme is nice.

But the "submarine" theme ,doesn't work to me.

Anyway a terrific score!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the general opinion about "jason and the argonatous", "gulliver's travel" and "sombad" by Herrman???
  2. Sinbad?

and MANSELL smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    NP: Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

I love it too cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. NP: Waltz with Bashir (Max Richter)

Richter brings a nice blend of minimalist rhythmic ideas, an electronic/small orchestral fusion, and grim elegaic melodies to this unusual animated documentary.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I just love Harry in the Winter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008 edited
    Stavroula wrote

I love Paris in the springtime. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Matrix Don Davis

It boggles the mind how someone so talented is not an A list composer!? (Unfortunately the same applies to many.)
  5. Oh yes, but with Davis I think it's more of a personal choice. He's working on an opera, mind you.
  6. Double dose of Jerry Goldsmith today:

Papillon followed by Under Fire

cool punk biggrin
  7. Brian Tyler - Bangkok Dangerous

Very nice diverse score. Urban sound, some really emotional pieces. As a round-up listening experience a less exciting, but more diverse and as rewarding as Eagle Eye.
  8. The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Double dose of Jerry Goldsmith today.

Followed by double dose of Barry: Out of Africa and Dances With Wolves

PS Journey to Fort Sedgewick is my favourite for that album. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Double dose of Jerry Goldsmith today.

Followed by double dose of Barry: Out of Africa and Dances With Wolves

PS Journey to Fort Sedgewick is my favourite for that album. cool

cool It's Barry's birthday today too! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote

A favourite of Hitler and Germany too. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Matrix Don Davis

It boggles the mind how someone so talented is not an A list composer!? (Unfortunately the same applies to many.)

Yeap! I'd add Lee Holdridge, Cliff Eidelman and Bruce Broughton as composers brushed aside in favour of mediochrity. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: All Gerhardt, All The Time - On Shuffle!

Over the weekend I shuffled through my entire Charles Gerhardt collection. I'm currently playing the tracks that I didn't play over the weekend. This is glorious stuff! Everything from Raksin's The Bad and the Beautiful to Holdridge's Jonathan Livingston Seagull

I'm currently playing a stunning orchestral/choral cue from The Informer from the Max Steiner album! Up next is Holdridge's "Main Title" from East of Eden.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: K-PAX - Edward Shearmur

Modern 'chill-out' scoring at it's best. Touching and intimate but, above all, very soothing. Just what I need before I go to bed.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The Four Feathers, love this score
  9. Brian Tyler - Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

I remember being very harsh on the score except my possibly favorite Tyler action track that is Decimation Proclamation. The release IS too long, 30-40 minutes of this score would be perfect. With all the good technique - Tyler is a very aware composer and even if the avant-garde techniques are nothing else than a Goldenthal reference (Silvestri, Horner and Goldenthal are heard in abundance here), still this demands a lot of knowledge and is very complex.

I think that the score still fails as a homage. There is just too much taken from Horner and Goldenthal (literally pages) and slightly too little Silvestri's theme (Predator Arrival? A bit in Decimation Proclamation). If it wasn't temp-track, Tyler just listened to the originals a lot. Good that he made a referential score, but his style here isn't as well-presented here as it is in Bangkok Dangerous or Eagle Eye, which featuring similar avant-garde references, is better rounded-up score. Not even more coherent (having a stronger melodic core to it), but more in tune with Tyler's style. Had the score been a bit more original (even rhythmically), it would make a better HOMAGE, sadly it often just borders on a rip-off.

Also, I'd use more slower tracks, it's just 77 minutes of basically the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Who doesn't!?
    Many love summer in Greece too! smile