• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    Hey angry I am fish lover, what can i do? shame

Srsly though, that score is gorgeous. I haven't heard the PONYO one yet, is it better than the SHELLFISH one? smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hey angry I am fish lover, what can i do? shame

Srsly though, that score is gorgeous. I haven't heard the PONYO one yet, is it better than the SHELLFISH one? smile

Ponyo is fantastic. Though I haven't heard Shellfish yet, considering its subject matter is very different (a serious drama about a war criminal of WWII based on an old TV series), it may not be something to compare with.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh; so Ponyo is uplifting and lush?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes! Ponyo has everything a Miyazaki's fantasy-adventure film should have, and all of them are at their best. In addition, it has gorgeous chorus!!!

This live suite is a good representative of the score.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTP70OgaCK0&fmt=18
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks. You should check the shellfish one though; it's different, as in more dramatic and emotional, but it's simply beautiful. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    I will. I also want to see the film, but not enough time this month (but I have to watch WALL-E on New Year's holyday wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Miya wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes! Ponyo has everything a Miyazaki's fantasy-adventure film should have, and all of them are at their best. In addition, it has gorgeous chorus!!!

Two of the best cues of the year: "Deep Sea Ranch" and "Ponyo of the Fish of the Wave".

Miya wrote
    I will. I also want to see the film

Not Miyazaky´s best I´m afraid. But only for the score in the prologue ("Deep Sea Ranch"), the waves sequence ("Ponyo of the Fish of the Wave") and the finale it´s worth to watch.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Marselus wrote
    Miya wrote

Not Miyazaky´s best I´m afraid. But only for the score in the prologue ("Deep Sea Ranch"), the waves sequence ("Ponyo of the Fish of the Wave") and the finale it´s worth to watch.

It's the serious drama I Want To Be A Shellfish (Watashi wa kai ni naritai) I haven't seen yet. I saw Ponyo this summer. wink

But I agree with you about Ponyo movie. The story is undeveloped but it's worth to watch because of several great scenes and beautiful hand-drawing animation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Brother Bear (promo) - Mark Mancina

Features some excellent Mancina stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Miya wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Miya wrote

It's the serious drama I Want To Be A Shellfish (Watashi wa kai ni naritai) I haven't seen yet. I saw Ponyo this summer. wink

Oh, my bad. Now that you mention it I remember you talking about it last summer smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Titanic - James Horner

One of my all time favourites. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Couldn't agree more. I find his Terminator stuff unbearable. Haven't heard TRUE LIES but i am sure it's not any better.

It is. But it's still not that great...

There might be some biased nostalgia speaking through my assessment of the music, true, but all I can say is that when you've listened to it as often as I have for over 10 years and you know every single note by heart, you can't help but find it astounding. We all have these scores in our collections: those that rank among our oldest and favourites and which we know through-and-through. True Lies is simply one of mine.

Still, not every score has the potential to achieve that status, no matter how long you've had it. That True Lies has is saying something already. I've had Dick Tracy for just about as long as True Lies and yet that one doesn't hold that masterful status in my mind.

DemonStar wrote

It does?? I listen to it and I all I can think of is what wonders Tarzan holds and now meek and poor this one is in comparison, full of mickey-mousing suspense...

NP: Agent Cody Banks, John Powell
    The newer 80-minute pressed boot. One of Powell's very best, career-defining score!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: All the Rivers Run, Bruce Rowland
    Defines the very notion of an "accessible" score! Every melody in here is unsubtle clear as day! But they're also brilliant and beautiful. Very much in Rowland's style. Great recent release by BSX.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Started the day with Treasure Planet, there was a lot I really enjoyed, but it dragged a bit in the middle for my taste.

Next was Shore's Looking for Richard - it was just too heavy for the mood I was in this morning.

Finally switched to Washington Square by Jan A. P. Kaczmarek I only had a chance to hear a few of the first tracks, but it suited my mood very well this morning.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    HeeroJF wrote
    Defines the very notion of an "accessible" score! Every melody in here is unsubtle clear as day!

That's probably why I like it so much smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Katiek wrote
    Started the day with Treasure Planet, there was a lot I really enjoyed, but it dragged a bit in the middle for my taste.

Yes! My point exactly, I keep saying that. That score has such potential to be another Atlantis, but doesn't address its suspense parts quite well. In fact, I have Atlantis on my playlist today! love

Katiek wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Defines the very notion of an "accessible" score! Every melody in here is unsubtle clear as day!

That's probably why I like it so much smile

Me, too. Fits a nice and uncomplicated mood.

Hey!! Running through track 9 of the score ("Creeping Around"), I recognized a motif used in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, just now!!! Well, who cares, really, but still a cute observation.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOE HISAISHI - Watashi wa Kai ni Naritai (i want to be selfish)

Simply brilliant; reminds me of Evanthia Reboutsika's A TOUCH OF SPICE btw; Both beautiful music you don't often hear.

Explain more. Why is it brilliant? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Gorgeous themes, sweepingly flowing, elegant, melodic, melodic, melodic.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    NP: My Neighbor Totoro - Joe Hisaishi

All themes are great - playful "Stroll" theme, relaxing "Village" theme, spiritual "The Paths of Wind" theme, jazzy fun "Catbus" theme, emotional "The Lost Child" and "Mother" themes... and what's more, fantastic Totoro's theme! I love how he arranged it from playful to adventurous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008 edited
    NP: Brother Bear (complete score with songs, in chronological order) - Mark Mancina & Phil Collins

I absolutely love this movie. I must admit, it has many flaws. There are too many unnecessary comedic scenes/characters, some dialogues are a bit corny, and songs are not used so effectively as in Tarzan. But the story is very strong and spiritual. It touches my heart! And the visuals are really stunning (character animation, background, wonderful design for "Great Spirits" animals, etc...).

So I'm biased about this music - I tend to like scores from movies I like. But I must admit again, the score is not so good. It could've been much better. And mickey-mousing cues on this complete score is boring for a stand-alone listening. I also think the melodies taken from Phil Collins songs are stronger than themes by Mancina, especially in emotional cues - Rock Painting for example.

But I still like this score, because of several good moments, such as Main Title, Funeral, Bear Fight, Denahi Sees A Sign.

But, I have to say, the strongest musical moment in this movie is Transformation scene, written by Collins and arranged by Mancina. He's really a good arranger! biggrin

HeeroJF wrote
    DemonStar wrote

It does?? I listen to it and I all I can think of is what wonders Tarzan holds and now meek and poor this one is in comparison, full of mickey-mousing suspense...

I haven't heard Tarzan complete score yet. But for the official album, I thought the same thing about themes on Brother Bear... You'll Be In My Heart theme in One Family is more emotional than any other themes by Mancina.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    The Da Vinci Code and Road To Perdition just arrived! I'm thinking which I should play first... but now I'm playing this while preparing my lunch.

NP: Back To The Future: Part I - Alan Silvetri
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Is this appropriate for lunchtime?

NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer
  1. Miya wrote

cool

Another contender for 'scores that have been painfully ignored by the soundtrack producers and are in dire need to be officially released to the hungry score-devouring masses'.

C'mon what's taking so long, Universal (or whoever will do the job at some point)?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

Wonderful stuff. This could also do with an expanded album IMO, some nice action cues from the movie are missing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

Wonderful stuff. This could also do with an expanded album IMO, some nice action cues from the movie are missing.

I personally think the current album is a pretty darn good presentation of the score but I certainly wouldn't refuse!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DreamTheater wrote
    Miya wrote

cool

Another contender for 'scores that have been painfully ignored by the soundtrack producers and are in dire need to be officially released to the hungry score-devouring masses'.

C'mon what's taking so long, Universal (or whoever will do the job at some point)?

I thought Part II's score is not much different from Part I...? But I haven't seen it for a while so I may be wrong. It'll be great to get a complete release anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Part 2's score isn't as good as Part 1's IMO. It's more a of watered down version, it lacks the punch and vigor that the first one had so much of.

I want it more than I want life itself. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: unreleased cues from Spanglish (on DVD menu) - Hans Zimmer

I went to a supermarket to buy clothes on sale, and eventually bought this DVD 30% off! biggrin I don't have enough time to watch it today, so I'm playing the music on menu. It has some beautiful arrangements of the themes! Can't wait to watch movie (not for the first time), and check out how much stuff are left unreleased.
  2. Hans Zimmer - Black Hawk Down

Seen the Extended Cut yesterday - my most recent DVD purchase. Great movie - but that's Ridley Scott. The score is amazing in the film.

The album shows that it's an excercise in post-modern mesh of genres, made to be as unpleasant as possible. Hard rock against ethnics, with vocal representing, as Zimmer called it, the "soul of Africa". Very convincing idea and Zimmer inspired the whole improvisation. Controlled chaos at its best.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website