• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    Blackhawk Down is easily one of Zimmer's best works and one of the most important recent examples of modern film scoring. Glad you liked it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I always did smile It was revisiting and old friend

Harry Gregson-Williams - Spy Game

I always liked this score and this time listening for inspiration.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams - Spy Game

I always liked this score and this time listening for inspiration.

Good choice, one of Harry´s best efforts (if not THE best), and one that specially shines in the film.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Yep, good thing to get inspired to for a spy drama script biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Wow, then it´s not a good choice, it is the best you could do wink
  3. Also single Black Hawk Down tracks (Ashes to Ashes, Still Reprise, Of the Earth) and Streitenfeld's Body of Lies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: John Ottman - Valkyrie
    Not being a big fan of Ottman, I didn't expect much from this, but the openingtrack blows me away. It contains male and female choir, and soprano solo to the point of operatic. This might become a pretty interesting score!

Previously: Alberto Iglesias - CHE
    Although not as easily likeable as The Kite Runner, it certainly is a grower and highly recommended, with traditional compositions (including, of course, accoustic guitar solo's) and restrained eerie compositions for Che's internal struggle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008 edited
    I started to watch The Mummy 3 on BluRay and could only manage about an hour of it. It's SO bad.

What a horrible piece of casting Evelyn's character is!? If you can't get the original actor, DON'T bring back the character!! Rick O'Connell as a father is still a bad idea, the special effects still aren't as good (i.e. used properly) as the first film, the whole essence and charm of the first film is NOWHERE to be found, and the score isn't much better with that ridiculously cheesy heroic theme. What an epic failure.

So, I need to hear a REAL Mummy score by a Master.

The Mummy (Complete) Jerry Goldsmith

Fucking AHHHHHHHH.... cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    NP:Blade Runner (Vangelis)

One of my all time favourite scores. It really captures the atmosphere of the movie. ( a very overrated film, but in terms of ambient is really superb)

The first track is really mind blowing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008 edited
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

It's much greater than I expected! I didn't like the film and didn't recognized many standout cues, except the famous CheValiers De Sangreal. But other tracks are all great. I'm specially amazed by the bonus track Salvete Virgines, a great chorus piece by Zimmer. shocked

CheValiers De Sangreal is, of course, amazing.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Today I listened to:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Burt)
    Con Air- I love the guitar theme
  4. Miya wrote

It's much greater than I expected! I didn't like the film and didn't recognized many standout cues, except the famous CheValiers De Sangreal. But other tracks are all great. I'm specially amazed by the bonus track Salvete Virgines, a great chorus piece by Zimmer. shocked

Oh yes, it's a great score. Have you tried Frost/Nixon?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote

I absolutely love that score! I only hope he does as good (or even better) in Angels and Demons!

NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

A version comprising of the stereo tracks from the half mono boot and a few from the OST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    DemonStar wrote
    I absolutely love that score! I only hope he does as good (or even better) in Angels and Demons!

I´m quite sure he will. The story delivers endless opportunities for stuff like he did in DVC while adding lots of action and really spectacular imagery. That shot over St.Peter´s Square in the trailer accompanied by Zimmer´s music alone gives me the bumps. He will satisfy, I´m sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Miya wrote

Oh yes, it's a great score. Have you tried Frost/Nixon?

Not yet, but I've heard the clips on FYC site. I don't remember much though. I'll check it out again.

Now Reading: The Da Vinci Code Booklet

TECHNICAL MAGIC AND WIZARDRY FOR REMOTE CONTROL PRODUCTIONS: THOMAS BRODERICK

lol When did RC start hiring Hogwarts alumni?!

Ron Howard's liner notes are not as fun as James L. Brooks'. tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Lionheart - Jerry Goldsmith

Yah!! punk
  5. Yes, Howard's not so fun. But I've heard that he's one of the nicest guys ever.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm listening to a lot of Lost today, and you'll see why soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

Leave No Man Behind... just amazing! punk
  6. Seems I'm inspiring sometimes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Seems I'm inspiring sometimes biggrin

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    I'm listening to a lot of Lost today, and you'll see why soon.

Why? Why? WHY?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Dark Knight Special Edition (Disc 2) - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I liked the new arrangements of Harvey Dent's theme in Halfway To Hong Kong. And A Watchful Guardian was very nice, I enjoyed it a lot!
  7. Superman II (Ken Thorne & John Williams)

How can the sequel music-wise be every bit as brilliant as the original? Simple, you take the existing cues and work 'em around for other scenes and make em glue together with some self-composed material, and never butchering them up so the original feeling is preserved. This is exactly what Ken Thorne has done, so it stands in my book as totally brilliant film scoring, even if its a arrangement of the original. This is what ever superhero movie needs: big themes + an emotional core.

5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Blackhawk Down is easily one of Zimmer's best works and one of the most important recent examples of modern film scoring. Glad you liked it.

Curious... what makes BLACK HAWK DOWN so important? Because I'm sure that a majority of us could live without the score.

-Erik-
    host and producer of CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. The cultural clash at hand, the way the score works in the movie, the mixing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    US Marshals Jerry Goldsmith

Certainly not his strongest score and certainly not his greatest theme. But it's still unashamedly Goldsmith's style... and I love it. So it's more about this being a blatantly Goldsmithian Goldsmith score rather than the score itself in a way.
    I'm like a moth to the flame, I cannot resist it!
  9. Yes, one of his lesser scores, but fun in some pieces.
  10. Memoirs of a Geisha (John Williams)

This wasn't love at first sight, actually more like bored at first sight... I had to appreciate the movie first, so I could learn to appreciate the music. While of course the theme is already a timeless Williams composition, the rest of the score is growing on me as time goes by. And just the right amount of music too... This is perfect to dream away by on a cold rainy afternoon. So I'm happy I decided to give this score more than one listen.

4 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Tombstone 2 Disc- the capture of the Old West feel is perfect.
    Amistad
    Top Gun
    Speed (I wanted some mindless action music wink )
    Anima Mundi (Glass)