• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Memoirs of a Geisha (John Williams)

This wasn't love at first sight, actually more like bored at first sight... I had to appreciate the movie first, so I could learn to appreciate the music. While of course the theme is already a timeless Williams composition, the rest of the score is growing on me as time goes by. And just the right amount of music too... This is perfect to dream away by on a cold rainy afternoon. So I'm happy I decided to give this score more than one listen.

4 STARS

The score was love at first listen for me, gorgeous, elegant, beautiful. The movie was sleep at first glance however.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Haha, this movie does everything but move me to sleep, no seriously I think it's great. I'm beginning to think I'm just plain weird, you know, me not liking the Dark Knight and all shocked

In fact, I'll ask Bregt to change my name to 'MT_Resident_Weirdo'. Sounds way too cool!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Indy and The Last Crusade (expanded) - John Williams

Terrific!! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Indy and The Last Crusade (expanded) - John Williams

Terrific!! punk

*10 more days*

This is harder than I thought! cry
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    I'm beginning to think I'm just plain weird, you know, me not liking the Dark Knight and all shocked

Don´t. TDK is a very special movie with a really specific kind of story-telling, structure, and atmosphere. It can´t please everyone.

It´s the Burton movies which are BS completely. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Don´t. TDK is a very special movie

I always liked their cassette tapes too.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol
  3. Definitely not. They were the only ones who regularly ended up as tumbleweed. Never had that problem with other tapes. Though I know it´s just a coincidence, it became quite spooky over time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're KIDDING!
    shocked

It's been my brand of choice from 1982 up to the very end due to the fact that I never ever had any issues with 'em, in wry contrast to *ptuih* Sony tapes or *slightly less ptuih* Maxell. I always loved TDK and will remain a satunch supporter (Still have some music tapes left I need to digitize... all TDK of course. Reliable as sin!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008 edited
    Well, there you go. I always used Maxell if I could and had the best experience with them.
    Strange, isn´t it?

This phaenomena might explain why there are so many different producers out there.
    They don´t work for everyone... :D

Sounds like a great FRINGE case to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN POWELL - Bolt

Fun, fun; fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Sounds like a great FRINGE case to me.

Fringe?
    With cassette tapes, I'm thinking Cold Case, rather. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN POWELL - Bolt

Fun, fun; fun!

"10. Where Were You on St. Rhino's Day?" and "Listen 16. Rescuing Penny" are very impressive. Bolt and Stop Loss are Powell's best works this year, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Sounds like a great Fringe case to me.

Fringe?
    With cassette tapes, I'm thinking Cold Case, rather. wink

But Fringe has better music and the hotter female lead. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm very surprised that you, Demetris and you, Southall, like Bolt. I thought it would be shrugged off as yet another typical Animated Powell score... well, particularly on Demetris' part at least. Shows you what I know. (For the record I love it too... but that's not so shocking.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's different from Kung Fu Panda if that's what you're saying. I love Powell's animated scores, but when he teams up with Zimmer the results are messy. Horton was uninspired. Bolt rocks the house.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...but when he teams up with Zimmer the results are messy. Horton was uninspired...

...oooh, and you were on such a role. rolleyes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I also thought Bolt was quite a lot easier to listen to than Horton. It sounds a bit fresher but really it's just more musical. The album production helps such a lot - the Bolt score is presented much more intelligently than Horton is, and that adds to the impression that it's music which is more readily-enjoyed away from the film than Horton.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, indeed. More musical is the word. Horton is mickey mousing all the time. Excellently performed, but still not a lot of meaning in it. Bolt is coherent, energetic and musical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can certainly accept composers using mickey-mousing in animated films (the clue's in the name!) but it has to be something really special to make me want to listen to it on CD. The level of artistry and craft which goes into composing and performing something like Toy Story 2 is unbelievable (and perfect for the film), but even that - with about half a dozen long-lined themes dotted all over the place - isn't something I come back to very often, so Horton has no chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't like it much. There are far more creative ways to write music for animation, mickey mousing is the easy way out. John Powell does that exactly and in brilliant ways; when he's not mickey mousing that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The first Toy Story score is a favourite of mine - very little mickey-mousing, great themes and some surprisingly dark material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed, indeed. More musical is the word. Horton is mickey mousing all the time. Excellently performed, but still not a lot of meaning in it. Bolt is coherent, energetic and musical.

What do you mean by 'meaning' exactly? It's not something I've ever thought about when listening to Horton. It may lack 'meaning', but I've never noticed its absence. It's about fun, and it's wonderfully summed up in the last three tracks (which is actually one track rolleyes ): Ala Hall of Mayors, The Horton Suite and A Big Ending.

Everyone I've played that to has loved it. (My flatmate loves it so much its his favourite Powell score!) Powell must have done something right in that score. If I was a piece of music, I think I'd like to be that! Fun, silly and with a great sense of humour... so I'm one third of the way there. Which one is up to you to decide. biggrin

Kung Fu Panda I don't think you give enough credit for. It works great in the film and it makes for a great album, and possibly has more of that 'meaning' you crave. 'Oogway Ascends' is a great example of its "emotional" side. Kung Fu Panda is no ordinary Dreamworks film, it's not typical fluff that I've seen you describe it as before, it's a bit more special than that. It's the first time I've felt they've come close to Pixar territory. It's a wonderful film IMO, and I love the score (both Zimmer and Powell's contributions). Again, it's one of those scores that I will play that more often than not people react very positively to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't like it much. There are far more creative ways to write music for animation, mickey mousing is the easy way out.

Mickey-mousing is a well-established way of scoring that works. It may not be to your tastes on album, that's fine, but to make such a bold statement as that is a little unfair I think.

I certainly can't imagine scoring a film like Ratatouille while using Mickey-Mousing music is 'the easy way out' by any stretch of the imagination. It takes a very skilled composer to get it right, and Giacchino and Powell both excel in that art form.

One of the greatest, if not THE greatest Mickey-Mouse composer, was Scott Bradley for his Tom & Jerry music. You'd turn your nose up at it if you heard it on an album, but you have to see the original show to understand just how technical and well-used Mickey-Mousing can be.

The easy way out indeed. Ha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The 'Burbs Jerry Goldsmith

Is that MICKEY MOUSING I hear!? Good lord. What a load of trash??
    You took the easy way out Goldsmith, you swine!

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Personally I am disgusted and will now ritually burn all my Goldsmith CDs (and that includes Joel's. The sins of the father and all that.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ratatouille is not mickey-mousing. Horton is. Mickey-mousing will always be the safe route out. Who says it doesn't work? Don't put words in my mouth. I said there are far more creative ways to score an animated movie than mickey mousing. Powell does that; Giacchino does that; the first with rare exceptions; do you want me to believe that you can't spot the difference between Horton (for instance) VS Bolt or Happy Feet or Robots? This is what i said, comment on that one if you will.

I don't want to play smart ass here Steven but have you ever seen an orchestral score, in the conductor's score? Have you ever tried to write something as such? Mickey mousing is purely rhythmical, synchronized to the picture. It CAN be tough of course and not everyone can do it, it'd be ridiculous to even claim that. I didn't say it's not working nor that it's not hard to do, but finding melodic coherency in your work and forming a proper structure will always be the toughest thing to do. You may like mickey mousing and Horton but that alone doesn't elevate it above the highest form of musical art through the centuries. Listen to the great works ranging from Palestrina to the late romantic era and the early 20th century. It's all around you, don't make me feel like i am talking to a 5 year old.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can't abide Palestrina and will gladly take Who Framed Roger Rabbit? over it any ol'day!

(But then of course I have the heart of a five-year old, which is brilliant as it should last me another 90 years or so!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Make that "Baroque" onwards, if you will. Not everyone is into Polyphony.