• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008 edited
    NP: Road To Perdition - Thomas Newman

Overall it's not as melodic as Little Women, Joe Black or Shawshank. A lot of 'underscore' tracks, but they're still interesting to listen. How can a sponge be a musical instrument?! dizzy

But there are two melodic themes, very beautiful themes of Road To Chicago/Virgin Mary and The Farm/Road to Perdition. They move me so much. They're emotional, but at the same time they're something like, daydreaming of reality (I'm not sure how to describe what I felt from these cues dizzy )

And of course, the opening cue Rock Island, 1931 is wonderful!! I never get tired to hear it.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    NP:Speed Racer (Giacchino)

You have to be in the right mood (Like it happens with some other scores like Horton) to appreciate this eclectic mix of styles....but this score is sublime. The way how he arranges very theme motif and orchestrations.

The "noble" theme is very touching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

I noticed many elements are taken and developed from this to Pirates 3! biggrin

I really love Salvete Virgines!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pour Elle - Klaus Badelt

First listen. I like what I hear so far!
  1. Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

What a great score! I really enjoy this one. The pan flutes are great. The theme usually gets stuck in my head for days after I listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Speed Racer (Giacchino)

You have to be in the right mood (Like it happens with some other scores like Horton) to appreciate this eclectic mix of styles....but this score is sublime. The way how he arranges very theme motif and orchestrations.

The "noble" theme is very touching.

SPEED RACER is pretty much a kick ass score. You have to be in the mood indeed but when you are, it's so enjoyable!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Spanglish - Hans Zimmer

Today I rewatched this beautiful film on DVD. I found a lot of good cues that are not on the album. The album is beautifully edited, and I have no complaint on it. But I hope it'd been longer. Are there any promos or bootlegs for it? Not likely, because if the 'hunters' at H-Z.com couldn't find it it shouldn't be exist. tongue

This score has two principal themes - the main theme with Latin feel is for Flor (Paz Vega) and her daughter, and what I call "love theme" is for Flor and John Clasky (Adam Sandler). As I said before, I truly love when piano plays the love theme in Beach. It's a shame that this theme appears not so much as the main theme on the album, because in the film there are several beautiful cues featuring this theme.

I also liked a cue with tripping sound of strings, from a scene when John read four-star review for his restaurant and say "F**k you!" biggrin

I've listened this score countless times. Beautiful themes, beautiful arrangement, great performances by guitarist Heitor Pereira and Triology (strings trio). It adds and supports the subtle emotions of the story.

It's been always my favorite, and it will be so forever... along with The Lion King, of course. bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Stoning of Soraya M (John Debney)

Another winner from Debney and a great follow up to The Passion. Track 16, the thirteen minutes "The Stoning of Soraya M" is one of Debney´s best cues ever.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Not likely, because if the 'hunters' at H-Z.com couldn't find it it shouldn't be exist. tongue

There are a lot of them the hunters haven't yet found, but they do exist wink I love Spanglish, BTW!

NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

cool
  2. Myst III: Exile (Jack Wall)

This is a much more ambient orchestral score than the stunning main theme would suggest. Composed for the puzzle video game with CG graphics which was groundbreaking at the time (2001), the music is very atmospheric and it's entertaining to listen to because it remains somewhat melodic (as I like it). The score opens up strong, goes into ambient / textural mode very quickly, yet picks up again at the end with some good finale cues. I wouldn't call it great, but I've heard far worse than this.

3.5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    @ The Spiderwick Chronicles

HeeroJF wrote
    But I'm detecting a whole lot more potential in that score than you seem to. I think that listening to this again soon is the only way a new listener can really pick apart all the melodies of this score. Again and again. Sure it may not be heavily thematic, but it is melodic. I can already imagine how wonderful this score will be once I know it all by heart.

You´re possibly right, but I don´t think I´m ready to invest that much time in a score that has so few new things to offer. I find Horner´s earlier fantasy work much more accessable and likable. I don´t know, maybe I´ll give it two or three more spins this week and we´ll talk again later, but I don´t see my opinion change. Much.

I don't think SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES is such a big thingy after all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like it, especially the Pheonix cue... but I'm a Horner-stalker, that's not really saying much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Phantom Menace is the worst SW score for you? I'd say Attack of the Clones, I think.

I'm with you on that one. I think Phantom is Williams' best prequel score.

-Erik-

I agree with Pawel and Erik.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I like it, especially the Pheonix cue... but I'm a Horner-stalker, that's not really saying much.

It is good. But i think Boy in the stripped pyjamas is even better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Heck, being a Horner-stalker myself, I have no illusions: of course a score like Spiderwyck Chronicles or Stripped Pyjamas has a lot to live up to, and hence neither will probably ever be as good as 75% of the material in the existing Horner collection, but that's just because that material is so damn good. But I still think Spiderwyck has something to offer that's worth investing in.

NP: Into Thin Air: Death on Everest, Lee Holdridge
    Mostly thanks to Thomas' Hidden Gems game a few weeks back, I'm now doing my first listen of this little cutie. It's a typical Holdridge score, with nice bold theme, big moments, infinitely more charming and melodic than today's average score. Thanks Thomas!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: My Own Western Compilation

I don't prefer westerns as a film genre...but I *love* many of the scores!
    Nicolai, Williams, Tiomkin and loads and loads of Goldsmith and Morricone.
    cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Heck, being a Horner-stalker myself, I have no illusions: of course a score like Spiderwyck Chronicles or Stripped Pyjamas has a lot to live up to, and hence neither will probably ever be as good as 75% of the material in the existing Horner collection, but that's just because that material is so damn good. But I still think Spiderwyck has something to offer that's worth investing in.

Mostly thanks to Thomas' Hidden Gems game a few weeks back, I'm now doing my first listen of this little cutie. It's a typical Holdridge score, with nice bold theme, big moments, infinitely more charming and melodic than today's average score. Thanks Thomas!

Into Thin Air is a fantastic score, 5/5.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote

Does it really have the potential to score that high?!? Wow. Upon first listen I could certainly tell this was a solid 3, even 4, but you're saying I should expect it to grow on me to a level of perfection?? Hm, either way, it's a strong purchase. But I doubt I'd end up liking it better than Call of the Wild.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote

Does it really have the potential to score that high?!? Wow. Upon first listen I could certainly tell this was a solid 3, even 4, but you're saying I should expect it to grow on me to a level of perfection?? Hm, either way, it's a strong purchase. But I doubt I'd end up liking it better than Call of the Wild.

I went in with both feet! Yeah, I agree with you, more 4 star maybe an extra 1/2 smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Yup! Absolutely brilliant! And the sound quality for all you audiophiles is top notch!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. The Fury (John Williams)

The more I play this, the better it gets, and I only discovered it earlier this year, again thanks to the people here wave . This is truly the kind of writing I love from Williams (his Star Wars period), eerie strings and awesome buildups. That finale track is truly epic classic stuff from the maestro and something I first heard in Erik's Williams suite, which I still listen to on occasion. I seem to have enough with the regular Varese release, as I like how the tracks are structured, sound quality is still superb.

4.5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good call Erik, I should have mentioned that, the sound is fantastic, a score that sounds great with some wellie in the volume.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Fury (John Williams)

The more I play this, the better it gets, and I only discovered it earlier this year, again thanks to the people here wave . This is truly the kind of writing I love from Williams (his Star Wars period), eerie strings and awesome buildups. That finale track is truly epic classic stuff from the maestro and something I first heard in Erik's Williams suite, which I still listen to on occasion. I seem to have enough with the regular Varese release, as I like how the tracks are structured, sound quality is still superb.

4.5 STARS

You missed out 1/2 a point wink
  4. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Fury (John Williams)

4.5 STARS

You missed out 1/2 a point wink

Yes but my initial reaction was 4. So by the next listen I'll just do the same, haha! tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR CRASH - John Barry

Superbly fun James Bond'ish score chock full of great themes and melodies.

How else would you get to listen to an cheap Italian Star Wars rip-off with a score from an A-list composer who was "tricked" into doing it. dizzy biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Miya wrote

Today I rewatched this beautiful film on DVD. I found a lot of good cues that are not on the album. The album is beautifully edited, and I have no complaint on it. But I hope it'd been longer. Are there any promos or bootlegs for it? Not likely, because if the 'hunters' at H-Z.com couldn't find it it shouldn't be exist. tongue

This score has two principal themes - the main theme with Latin feel is for Flor (Paz Vega) and her daughter, and what I call "love theme" is for Flor and John Clasky (Adam Sandler). As I said before, I truly love when piano plays the love theme in Beach. It's a shame that this theme appears not so much as the main theme on the album, because in the film there are several beautiful cues featuring this theme.

I also liked a cue with tripping sound of strings, from a scene when John read four-star review for his restaurant and say "F**k you!" biggrin

I've listened this score countless times. Beautiful themes, beautiful arrangement, great performances by guitarist Heitor Pereira and Toriology (strings trio). It adds and supports the subtle emotions of the story.

It's been always my favorite, and it will be so forever... along with The Lion King, of course. bunny

I love that score. The cue "No Left" is a thrilling piece featuring Pereira's guitar work. I saw the film when it came out and never saw it again after I bought the CD. Is there that much more unreleased music that is worth it? If you ever find a complete promo, please let me know.

Largo Winch Alexandre Desplat

Jeez, this guy comes up with two top 5 scores in the same month! Hats off.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LA GUERRE DU FEU - Philippe Sarde

AKA QUEST FOR FIRE, one of my favourite Sarde scores, a primitive sounding rawness to this that get's my imaginative juices flowing, this is right up there with Mario Nascimbene's One Million Years BC and Benjamin Bartlett's Walking With Dinosaurs / Beasts as being definitive in creating a sound for pre-history.

And that opening track, Creation of Fire for LSO and choir never fails to send goose pimples up and down my spine.....marvelous! cool
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Tim, did they remix this one? Is the sound cleaner than the older CD release? More material?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Tim, did they remix this one? Is the sound cleaner than the older CD release? More material?

Afraid I can't help you there pal, I never had the old CD release, mine was a CDR made from my LP.

I'm very thankful to Universal fr for this though, it sounds brilliant.

EDIT TO ADD :

What is the running time on the old CD Martin? This new one runs at 54 minutes, I don't remember the LP being much more than 40 minutes!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Judge Dredd Alan Silvestri

When Silvestri gets it right, he dun 'alf get it right! cool