• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

I remember being very harsh on the score except my possibly favorite Tyler action track that is Decimation Proclamation. The release IS too long, 30-40 minutes of this score would be perfect. With all the good technique - Tyler is a very aware composer and even if the avant-garde techniques are nothing else than a Goldenthal reference (Silvestri, Horner and Goldenthal are heard in abundance here), still this demands a lot of knowledge and is very complex.

I think that the score still fails as a homage. There is just too much taken from Horner and Goldenthal (literally pages) and slightly too little Silvestri's theme (Predator Arrival? A bit in Decimation Proclamation). If it wasn't temp-track, Tyler just listened to the originals a lot. Good that he made a referential score, but his style here isn't as well-presented here as it is in Bangkok Dangerous or Eagle Eye, which featuring similar avant-garde references, is better rounded-up score. Not even more coherent (having a stronger melodic core to it), but more in tune with Tyler's style. Had the score been a bit more original (even rhythmically), it would make a better HOMAGE, sadly it often just borders on a rip-off.

Also, I'd use more slower tracks, it's just 77 minutes of basically the same.

This score is a rare instance for me of initially liking it and then seriously being turned off by it, I can barely stand 10 minutes of this intense noise driven score, but then, if you've had the misfortune of seeing the childish amateurist rubbish that passes for a movie it's not surprising that it lacks more quieter moments.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Then you don't release 77 minutes of this!

I never intended to watch that movie, really. And I never will intend.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Then you don't release 77 minutes of this!

I never intended to watch that movie, really. And I never will intend.

I honestly can't think of one good thing to say about the movie and in retrospect I wish I'd saved my money and not bought Tyler's score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

I remember being very harsh on the score except my possibly favorite Tyler action track that is Decimation Proclamation. The release IS too long, 30-40 minutes of this score would be perfect. With all the good technique - Tyler is a very aware composer and even if the avant-garde techniques are nothing else than a Goldenthal reference (Silvestri, Horner and Goldenthal are heard in abundance here), still this demands a lot of knowledge and is very complex.

I think that the score still fails as a homage. There is just too much taken from Horner and Goldenthal (literally pages) and slightly too little Silvestri's theme (Predator Arrival? A bit in Decimation Proclamation). If it wasn't temp-track, Tyler just listened to the originals a lot. Good that he made a referential score, but his style here isn't as well-presented here as it is in Bangkok Dangerous or Eagle Eye, which featuring similar avant-garde references, is better rounded-up score. Not even more coherent (having a stronger melodic core to it), but more in tune with Tyler's style. Had the score been a bit more original (even rhythmically), it would make a better HOMAGE, sadly it often just borders on a rip-off.

Also, I'd use more slower tracks, it's just 77 minutes of basically the same.

This score is a rare instance for me of initially liking it and then seriously being turned off by it, I can barely stand 10 minutes of this intense noise driven score, but then, if you've had the misfortune of seeing the childish amateurist rubbish that passes for a movie it's not surprising that it lacks more quieter moments.

I'm with ya on this one, Timmer. I haven't seen the movie... no interest... but I too initially enjoyed this score but after repeated listens I would prefer a 3 day intense, mind numbing migraine headache with the windows wide open and kids screaming outside than listening to AVP:R again. The biggest problem that I have with it is that a lot of it sound like noise. You can't distinguish one instrument from the other. Demestris has described Tyler's orchestrations as dense... but my God you don't have to make it THAT dense. It is as if everyone is playing as Goddamn loud as possible attempting to drown out the other players. What you get is a wall of noise that if was toned down just a bit might prove to be something interesting. Just because you have 110 players at your disposal doesn't mean you have to blow the roof of the recording studio for 7 minutes straight. I love action score as much as the next person but this is ludicrous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Yes, Tyler has the issue of being loud for the sake of being loud. That's also a problem I tend to have with e.g. Silvestri.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, Tyler has the issue of being loud for the sake of being loud. That's also a problem I tend to have with e.g. Silvestri.

At times... yes! But I find that Silvestri has far more coherent scores than Tyler and much more clarity in his orchestrations. I'll take a "Kruger Escapes" over "Decimation Proclamation."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Tyler is pretty coherent too, if he has thematic material and he often has, even if it's simpler than even Zimmer (that way very effective in underscore).

Yes, Silvestri has more clear orchestrations, but often he's just damn LOUD and it turns me off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tyler follows a more heavy-metal oriented musical approach and philosophy (not implying a heavy metal sound per se), rather than the gents you mentioned above.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tyler follows a more heavy-metal oriented musical approach and philosophy (not implying a heavy metal sound per se), rather than the gents you mentioned above.

Uh huh... soooooooooo?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think he's just adding to the conversation rather than making a point. And it certainly seems like Tyler is the heavy-metal, rock composer of films, especially looking at the way he works. Great guy, but I'm not always too fond of his music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What Steven said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    What Steven said.

Uh huh... sooooooo?

Does that give him a free ride to create such noisy, head inducing material? I mean, I love heavy metal but Tyler's stuff.... crazy

-Erik-
  4. Christodoulides wrote

Yes, that's the analysis we gave in the Tyler thread few weeks ago, though to be true, you must admit that AVP: R tries to follow a more classical tradition rather than the heavy-metal approach (which is reserved for his action stuff like Fast and Furious or Eagle Eye).

I think he tried a somewhat different approach to AVP: R, due to the nature of the movie (heavily violent horror combining two musical and film classics, we abstain from discussing the movie here), which demanded references to avant-garde methods, which of course aren't far from heavy metal, which is showcased by the way Kamen orchestrated Metallica. Tyler loses with his precedessors not because he tries to refer to them (this was a good idea, if it only was more subtle rather than taking pages sometimes, sorry), but because they were very dense too, but STILL managed to give more clarity and balance to their orchestrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I'm in a retro mood today ... smile

Knights Of The Round Table - Miklos Rozsa

followed by ...

King Kong - Max Steiner

Quality stuff ! punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. Howard Shore - LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

The original release. What a great thematic and organic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Well guys the truth is that most of the times I really admire you!Yes,yes I do.The depth of your analyses and the knowledge you seem to have is wonderful!It's very enjoyable and educational to read you discussions.
    All this Tyler talk... NP: Annapolis
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Howard Shore - LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

The original release. What a great thematic and organic score.

I second that! next in the row! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Well guys the truth is that most of the times I really admire you!Yes,yes I do.The depth of your analyses and the knowledge you seem to have is wonderful!It's very enjoyable and educational to read you discussions.

Wait. This isn't right. This is an internet forum, you're meant to argue, bicker and call everyone an asshole? confused

kiss wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, we are good geeks indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

Wait. This isn't right. This is an internet forum, you're meant to argue, bicker and call everyone an asshole? confused

kiss wink

Do I?! shocked
    I'm sorry,I didn't know. shame
    Easy though...remind me to do it next time Steven! tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I think he's just adding to the conversation rather than making a point. And it certainly seems like Tyler is the heavy-metal, rock composer of films, especially looking at the way he works. Great guy, but I'm not always too fond of his music.

Yeah, I've always seen Tyler as the rock & roll composer in film music, but more and more not in a good way. He doesn't seem to have any real depth but perhaps he's never had the right project to really showcase another side to his composing chops!? He's obviously a very talented musician but my own personal 'inner jury' is still out on him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote

kiss wink

Do I?! shocked

Hard to resist warm greek LOOOVEEEEEE, who needs bickering and swearing when you got lots of those in the board wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote

kiss wink

Do I?! shocked

Me being me you probably won't need to be reminded. I'm an asshole most of the time! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

kiss wink

Asshole!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    See, that's more like it.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah, I've always seen Tyler as the rock & roll composer in film music, but more and more not in a good way. He doesn't seem to have any real depth but perhaps he's never had the right project to really showcase another side to his composing chops!? He's obviously a very talented musician but my own personal 'inner jury' is still out on him.

Exactly the problem I have with him myself. Technically he's good, he can give a melody, but a bit too dependant on others and still didn't write a work I would describe as very personal. His biggest chance was blew by the temp-track influence (Greatest Game Ever Played, that is)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Exactly the problem I have with him myself. Technically he's good, he can give a melody, but a bit too dependant on others and still didn't write a work I would describe as very personal. His biggest chance was blew by the temp-track influence (Greatest Game Ever Played, that is)

He certainly knows how to handle an orchestra and he knows how to create some pretty complicated tracks... but he lacks that spark of uniqueness and depth that a great composer should have. Unfortunately he's not a great composer, 'just' a very talented musician who got into composing. Plus he's got a great personality, and for that alone I respect him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree Steven, "respect" being a key word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote

kiss wink

Do I?! shocked

Me being me you probably won't need to be reminded. I'm an asshole most of the time! biggrin

Well, obviously Stavroula wuz bein sarkastic, azzh0le!
    Why donchou get ur hed out of ur bm & flp the zwq two, brft? Ltrz, htrz!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I agree Steven, "respect" being a key word.

shocked

Oops.

I meant a little Aretha there, of course. unowhamsane?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn