• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    Steven wrote
    Doesn't work for either. And I'm usually pretty good at spotting which pieces of film music are used in Top gear! (If I don't say so myself. wink)

I do this as well. They usually play a lot of recent releases which is nice. cool
  1. Timmer wrote
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Just out of interest, what is the music playing from 1:09 to 1:10 on this top gear:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … Episode_8_(new_series)/

(I think its UK people only). I'm sure I know it but I can't recall! sad

Cheers

For some reason it won't play?

Anyone else??

Oh, and hi Tim wave

Hello!

Try copying and pasting the entire name into your address bar. If not....I dunno.

Tomorrow I will be starting the double best of michael Nyman That I bought on the bristol trip! When I wake up that is...
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Defiance (James Newton Howard)

shocked shocked

I´ve had this one for weeks but didn´t find the appropriate moment. Impressive effort I have to say. Thematically rich, melodic, great violin solos (but NOT over the top, a thing I have to admit I was scared about) specially in the main theme.
    I haven´t watched the film, so I don´t know how it fits the visuals (knowing Zwick´s filmography I assume it fits like a glove), but I´m pretty sure it is a score that never goes beyond the images but increases its dramatic effect. A(nother) winner from Newton Howard; he has composed two of my favs of 2008: I Am Legend and Defiance.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I have to get this now!
  2. Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Just out of interest, what is the music playing from 1:09 to 1:10 on this top gear:

Cheers

Viewing this I don't hear music at 1:09-1:10. But there is a familiar 1-2 second clip at 00:50-1:00 - that sounds like something from Elfman's Batman.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bolt | John Powell

I'm enjoying this a lot more than on my first few listens. The album presentation is still flawed, but musically this is 100% enjoyable.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008 edited
    NP - "Nouvelle Vagues" - Traffic quintet

This fairly unkown album features a series of free transcriptions for string quintet, including music from french films made during the "new art" movement starting in the middle of the previous century. The transcriptions are in the hand of Alexandre Desplat, who also composed the actual score for three of the album selections. The quintet also interprets several scores by Georges Delerue, and one by Ennio Morricone.

The performances are passionate and extremely good, but in my opinion overshadowed by the quality of the transcriptions themselves. Desplat's work is shockingly good, and places a tremendous emphasis on a concern for the very essence of "chamber music": much like John Williams, his main ideology when arranging is that the performers should interact with one another. It is through the responding to one anothers musicality that a performance can become special, and it is a composers responsibility to allow such interactions to take place. This concern for the foundating principle of chamber music is lost in most of the contempory music produced today, and likewise in film scores. That is part of what makes Desplat such a unique voice in the industry.

My favourite selection so far is "Le Mépris" by Georges Delerue, which opens with a fantastic combination of different playing techniques including pizzicato, open strings, and a spectacular harmonic effect combined with "sul ponticello" (for those who know what that means).

Thanks to Tom who introduced me to this amazing album! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    markrayen wrote

The performances are passionate and extremely good, but in my opinion overshadowed by the quality of the transcriptions themselves. Desplat's work is shockingly good, and places a tremendous emphasis on a concern for the very essence of "chamber music": much like John Williams, his main ideology when arranging is that the performers should interact with one another. It is through the responding to one anothers musicality that a performance can become special, and it is a composers responsibility to allow such interactions to take place. This concern for the foundating principle of chamber music is lost in most of the contempory music produced today, and likewise in film scores. That is part of what makes Desplat such a unique voice in the industry.

I wonder if that ideology used by Williams is because of his Jazz routes? (The whole 'call and response thing.) I know that a lot of his action music has many elements of Jazz in them.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I think what you are saying is very likely. Since Williams was also a notable pianist (both jazz and classical) and a great accompanist, his love for spontaneity has probably greatly affected his work as a composer. I think I can recall him speaking about this briefly in the "Empire Strikes Back" documentary.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Found it! At approx. 3.20 he talks about performance.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TzeIkREjF … re=related
  3. NP: Princess Mononoke: Symphonic Suite (Joe Hisaishi)

This is a very good album, that is maybe not that well known, but for fans of melodic dramatic and rhythmic driven music you could do a lot worse. I only have this and Laputa: Castle in the Sky but hearing these I sure would like to know more... I remember hearing Spirited Away at one time, but not having enjoyed it as much... I must've been in a foul mood. slant Mononoke is highly recommended.

4 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim (not timmer) wrote

Cheers

Viewing this I don't hear music at 1:09-1:10. But there is a familiar 1-2 second clip at 00:50-1:00 - that sounds like something from Elfman's Batman.

I mean 1 hour and 9 minutes to 1 hour and ten minutes, its a good minute long clip!! Very noticeable (as clarkson makes his way to the bar).

Also enjoyed the program ( a vietnam road trip!)
  5. shame
    I did wonder about a clip being only 1 second long! If I see the programme again I'll keep a listen out for it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: James Bond Themes - John Barry, Paul McCartney, Marvin Hamlisch, Bill Conti, Bono and The Edge

This is my favorite James Bond album. Wonderdully arranged by Nic Raine, with precise conducting by Carl Davis, spirited performance by the Royal Philharmonic and audiophile sonics. 12 title tunes are featured ranging from John Barry's Goldfinger to Bono and The Edge's Goldeneye. There is one little blip... McCartney's Live and Let Die which I never cared for in the first place. While it's not a favorite of mine the performance however is spot on. I'll be featuring some of the John Barry selections on my next re-recording show which hopefully goes up later today.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Blade Runner: Orchestral Version - Vangelis

Blade Runner is a New Year's Eve tradition. I remember it playing on local TV every year at 12:30ish. Since then, I try to catch the film around this time and/or play the score. I've had the orchestral version on LP for YEARS but never spun it. shame I bought it at a garage sale for 50 cents. So, since I only have 30 some odd minutes to spare before I have to run out and by some snacks and wobbly pops for our New Year's festivities tonight I thought I'd spin this very interesting version of the score. It still has the Vangelis flavor with a lot of synths but the organic orchestral backing really gives the score some warmth. Not bad... not bad at all.

-Erik-

PS - Could use a little less "One More Kiss, Dear" vomit
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Blade Runner: Orchestral Version - Vangelis

Blade Runner is a New Year's Eve tradition. I remember it playing on local TV every year at 12:30ish. Since then, I try to catch the film around this time and/or play the score. I've had the orchestral version on LP for YEARS but never spun it. shame I bought it at a garage sale for 50 cents. So, since I only have 30 some odd minutes to spare before I have to run out and by some snacks and wobbly pops for our New Year's festivities tonight I thought I'd spin this very interesting version of the score. It still has the Vangelis flavor with a lot of synths but the organic orchestral backing really gives the score some warmth. Not bad... not bad at all.

-Erik-

PS - Could use a little less "One More Kiss, Dear" vomit

Yes, it isn't bad at all and, of course, at one time it was the only version so for quite some while it was the only one I was familiar with.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: James Bond Themes - John Barry, Paul McCartney, Marvin Hamlisch, Bill Conti, Bono and The Edge

This is my favorite James Bond album. Wonderdully arranged by Nic Raine, with precise conducting by Carl Davis, spirited performance by the Royal Philharmonic and audiophile sonics. 12 title tunes are featured ranging from John Barry's Goldfinger to Bono and The Edge's Goldeneye. There is one little blip... McCartney's Live and Let Die which I never cared for in the first place. While it's not a favorite of mine the performance however is spot on. I'll be featuring some of the John Barry selections on my next re-recording show which hopefully goes up later today.

-Erik-

Sounds interesting Erik? Are you going to use any of Barry's own re-recordings? Some of the stuff he did in the late 60's is fantastic!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Tim (not timmer) wrote

Cheers

For some reason it won't play?

Anyone else??

Oh, and hi Tim wave

Hello!

Try copying and pasting the entire name into your address bar. If not....I dunno.

Tomorrow I will be starting the double best of michael Nyman That I bought on the bristol trip! When I wake up that is...

I got it working and had a listen, though it sounded "familiar" I don't know what it's from? Maybe someone else here can help you?
  6. markrayen wrote

Most of the scores contained therein are worth hearing in their original form. Particularly Delerue's CONTEMPT (La Mepris). The opening section you mention sounds incredible for a full string orchesra.

Among Desplat's scores present on the album, READ MY LIPS and A SELF MADE HERO are excellent. Both are sampled extensively on the Naive records release devoted to Desplat's work for the films of Jacques Audiard.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. NP: Oorlogswinter (Pino Donaggio)

Hmmm... not sure if I'm getting into this one as much as everyone else is. I can see how it would work in that kind of film, however.
  8. NP: Inkheart (Javier Navarrete)

Not bad. Works for me so far.
  9. As Promised

NP: The Very Best Of Michael Nyman( Michael Nyman! )

Feeling a little groggy to say the least!

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009
    Happy New Year everyone!

NP: Largo Winch - Alexandre Desplat

This is fun stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: White Oleander - Thomas Newman

A very dreamy musical experience - perfect for listening to in a dark and quiet environment - that could easily send you to sleep. I know I'm probably in the minority for liking this but I think it's an extremely efficient 'ambient' score. Quality stuff.

cool
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    Happy new year!
    I've been away for a long time, but now I'm trying to start writing here again. The high school is now taking almost all of my free time, but I have tried to visit here at least a couple of times a week.

NP: La Califfa - Ennio Morricone

I needed to listen something peaceful because there's a winter storm raging outside. The love theme is really beautiful and I also like the use of voices in this score. The ten minute suite is excellent but there are lots of other great tracks too. I think this score is one of the most beautiful scores Morricone has ever written.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - James Horner

Glorious listening! cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As is this...

T'Wind & T'Lion Jerry Goldsmith

Aye, tis smashin' this! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    As is this...

T'Wind & T'Lion Jerry Goldsmith

Aye, tis smashin' this! biggrin

Is that the 'avin it large' Manc version? wink

NP : ROBOCOP - Basil Poledouris

cool
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    franz_conrad wrote
    markrayen wrote

Most of the scores contained therein are worth hearing in their original form. Particularly Delerue's CONTEMPT (La Mepris). The opening section you mention sounds incredible for a full string orchesra.

Among Desplat's scores present on the album, READ MY LIPS and A SELF MADE HERO are excellent. Both are sampled extensively on the Naive records release devoted to Desplat's work for the films of Jacques Audiard.

Thanks for the advice. I recently ordered a compilation disc with the works of Delerue, a composer I am fairly unfamiliar with.

NP - Ivan the Terrible by Sergej Prokofiev
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKING WITH DINOSAURS - Benjamin Bartlett

Absolutely brilliant! cool