• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009
    NP:Defiance (Newton Howard)

Totally Generic score.

From the village to The shcindler list.

If I want some close stuff to that I prefer listen The Village or Snow Falling On Cedars, wich they has a more memorable theme and a more James newton Howard own voice.

it's my last chance i give to this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't listen to him people, he's possessed by the Devil!! He's trying to trick you!! devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Frost Nixon

Great movie. AMAZING PERFORMANCE by LAngella.

If you listen this score with a good speakers the sound is amazing! the percusion and the texture are like if they were in my room!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    If you listen this score with a good speakers the sound is amazing!

Funny how listening to it on good speakers can do that.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I guess he was listening to Defiance while in a tin can. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Pfft, I don't doubt it.

biggrin

First Blood
    Jerry Goldsmith

Could this man do no wrong during the early 80s?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Pfft, I don't doubt it.

biggrin

First Blood
    Jerry Goldsmith

Only few dogs along.

His early 80's work was phenomenal!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Defiance (Newton Howard)

Totally Generic score. From the village to The shcindler list.

Defiance and Generic can not be in the same sentence.
    Schindler List? Ok, we´ve heard plenty of violin solos in this kind of films, but I think in Defiance, it´s not overused and has nothing to do with Williams´theme.

Nautilus wrote
    If I want some close stuff to that I prefer listen The Village or Snow Falling On Cedars, wich they has a more memorable theme and a more James newton Howard own voice.

Fascinating your obsession with a composer´s own voice. And Defiance´s main theme is pretty memorable IMO.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Pfft, I don't doubt it.

biggrin

First Blood
    Jerry Goldsmith

Only few dogs along.

His early 80's work was phenomenal!

-Erik-

Mid to late 70's and up to early 80's Goldsmith was on an unbelievable role of sublime film scoring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Don't listen to him people, he's possessed by the Devil!! He's trying to trick you!! devil

He's a mentalist!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u3YUlcyPX … re=related
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY ! smile

NP: Twilight ~ Carter Burwell
    I'm still trying to decided how much I like it or not. I read the book again and I cannot tie the music with the feeling I get from it... I'll watch the film one of these days and see how it goes with it.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Happy New Year, Stavi

Thomas Newman - WALL-E

First listen. Great score, laid back and emotional for the first half, but those Wall-E samples are annoying.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Np:I am Legend

One of my favourites from JNH.

The main theme is one of the best i heard in a long time and this epics goldenthal-esque parts are truly amazing.

Great Album!
  2. HAPPY NEW YEAR AND BEST WISHES --- a little late I know shame

NP: Raiders of the Lost Temple of the Last Crusade (some unknown small-time composer)

Awesome box set!! One of my best buys ever, along with my Superman box.

Raiders of the Lost Ark sounds fantastic and I had a hell of a time... with the emphasis on atmosphere, the score takes a while to get cooking, but from Map Room: Dawn it doesn't let up... Desert Chase is simply stunning, I didn't miss anything... the other DCC release was equally good IMO. 4 STARS

Temple of Doom is a monster of a score, first time hearing it expanded, it blows my mind with the energy and creativity Williams has poured into every minute of this CD. It can become a tad overbearing at times though, still great fun. 4.5 STARS

Last Crusade sublime to hear in expanded form and it still shows the composer at the top of his game, with fun and exciting action and the holy grail of Indiana themes... the grail theme! My absolute favourite of the trilogy. 4.5 STARS

This is a godsend for film music fans... Crystal Skull aside, I have no minor quibbles or remarks with the presentation of the music, it shows the thematic talent of a genius that is uncomparable, only his Star Wars trilogy is more epic!!!!

punk punk punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    4 stars!? 4 STARS!??

If ever there was an example of a 5 star score, Raiders is it! Bur, fair enough. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    4 stars!? 4 STARS!??

If ever there was an example of a 5 star score, Raiders is it! Bur, fair enough. dizzy

I'm sure Gilles will return soon to say he accidently pressed 4 instead of 5 wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It takes a while to realise every note is perfect, so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt. wink

(I listened to the new Raiders CD on a PS3 with optical connection to a huge 5.1 system, loudly at that. It was stunning, 'The Map Room' has never sounded so good! shocked And I had to change my pants when when 'The German Sub' played.)
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Np - An hour long interview with Alan Menken talking about musical theatre and the collaoration with Howard Ashman. One of the many interesting subjects is the question of what comes first: music or lyrics...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Desert Chase is simply stunning, I didn't miss anything...

Curious... you HAVE heard the complete DCC version of this cue, right? I don't know how ANYONE can like what Bouzereau put on the Concord version. It's easily one of the worst edited Williams cues I've heard. I mean, why have that as the ONLY album edit on a CD full of complete and unedited cues. Just one of the many bizarre decisions made by Bouzereau when putting this box set together. Hopefully, in the near future, someone who actual knows what they are doing - cough... cough...Michael Matessino - can do this classic trilogy of music justice.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I mean, why have that as the ONLY album edit on a CD full of complete and unedited cues.

Because SOME of us LOVE the album edits, Erik. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Listening to the new Raiders album, the only minor complaint I have is the splitting up of some of the tracks (as inwhat I'm used to from the other Raiders album). But it's something I can more than live with. Apart from that, I could easily make sweet love with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hulk Danny Elfman

Probably my favourite neo-Elfman score, with Spider-Man 2 a close second.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM | elmer bernstein

This is more awesome than myself. I had the theme on a super cool Silva compilation "Jazz in Film" and stumbled upon he soundtrack in London, for just 2£. Very dynamic and driving music, that really keeps the pace high. The more tender moments join that old atmosphere that I seemingly really like. What other Bernstein scores are to recommend, that are in the vein of this awesomeness?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium - Aaron Zigman & Alexandre Desplat

One of my favorites! punk
  3. William wrote
    NP: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium - Aaron Zigman & Alexandre Desplat

One of my favorites! punk

hehe, how neat
    I just saw the movie again, and my god does it elevate the harmless movie into a light inspiring piece of childlike innocence

That main theme at the end is just film music magic smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I agree completely! cheesy It's excellent. punk That's actually one of the most-played parts in the whole OST, for me. That and the ending of The Flight of Magorium. So gorgeous, a five star score all the way. lick
  4. William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I agree completely! cheesy It's excellent. punk That's actually one of the most-played parts in the whole OST, for me. That and the ending of The Flight of Magorium. So gorgeous, a five star score all the way. lick

a bit too much 5 stars, but it is gorgeous nonetheless, one of my favourite themes of 2007 as well smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

a bit too much 5 stars, but it is gorgeous nonetheless, one of my favourite themes of 2007 as well smile

It's one of the best scores I've heard, and certainly one of my favorite main themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I mean, why have that as the ONLY album edit on a CD full of complete and unedited cues.

Because SOME of us LOVE the album edits, Erik. love

And that is just plain ass silly. tongue Some of Williams' edits are indeed creative and well done but Desert Chase is a prime example how NOT to edit down a piece of music. HORRIBLE! vomit

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2009
    Just played: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams

After the mediocrity of new scores coming out lately (or the ones I heard at least) I wanted quaranteed quality, and I couldn't go wrong with this one. Pure brilliance! For me, this is the ultimate version of Raiders; excellent compiled album, exactly what I was hoping for and better than a complete 2-disc version. Like Bouzereau says in the notes; you don't need everything, you just want the best listening experience. And we got it punk