• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    NP : THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD - Bernard Herrmann

Herrmann's best fantasy score IMO and amongst a handful of classics of what a fantasy score is measured by!?

Herrmann didn't need a 100+ piece choir to imbue his fantasy with magic.

This is the John Debney re-recording with the RSNO, it's brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I might have to revisit that score. Again, I'm no fan of complete Herrmann recordings so we'll see how it goes.

I'm currently spinning one of the greatest re-recordings of all time...

Miklos Rozsa conducts His Great Film Music

Still only available on LP but thanks to our good friend Tom I have a solid copy of it on CD-r.

Up next is the Decca re-recording of Quo Vadis? While this score is considered to be one of Rozsa's finest I'm not familiar with it with the exception of the Kunzel/Three Choral Suites re-recording. So far, I really like what I hear as Rozsa conducts The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

Fantastic, isn't it?
    Still the best rendition of any recording for The Thief Of Bagdad, in my opinion.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Finding Neverland

I love it!Peter Pan was and still is my favorite fairy tale!And this score is pure magic!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Wisdom - Danny Elfman

Very interesting synth score. Mostly percussive and largely ambient in tone. Not bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Fantastic, isn't it?
    Still the best rendition of any recording for The Thief Of Bagdad, in my opinion.

I still have my old Soundtrack Librabry boot of the full score (well, not sure if it's full, but fuller, at least) and it's still my #1 Rozsa score. Or, it was until I got my new El Cid box set.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PINK PANTHER - Henry Mancini

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Matrix - Don Davis

This is just unbelievably good.
  1. NP:The Devil and Daniel Webster by Christopher Young

Somewhat in the same vein as Williams' The Witches of Eastwick, albeit more softer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : I' ROBOT - Marco Beltrami

One of Beltrami's best scores IMO.
  2. NP: The DaVinci Code - Hans Zimmer

There was no other choice after watching that teaser... Chevalier de Sangreal.... sigh.......
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Land Before Time - James Horner

One of this great composer's finest scores, and surely the most beautiful, balletic music ever written for an animation.
  3. Yeah, a really great piece of work. I rarely listen to it because it´s quite exhausting, but when I do, it´s always an experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    Southall wrote

One of this great composer's finest scores, and surely the most beautiful, balletic music ever written for an animation.

The Prokofiev love fest continues with this score... but you know... it works soooooooooo well. Horner was definitely the most inspired working on animated features.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ZULU - John Barry

The original recording....and by far the best! Brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Southall wrote

Because of Heero's recommendation, I listened to it on StreamingSoundtracks, and I really liked it. And then I looked at amazon... ugh its price was raised to an insane level shocked
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008 edited
    NP: Kiki's Delivery Service - Joe Hisaishi

One of the most popular music used as Japanese TV's background music biggrin

I love the mediterranean feel! And Mysterious Painting is really beautiful...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: THE EGYPTIAN...Newman and Herrmann

I'm listening to the Varese version which is from the Decca LP.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Brother Bear 2 - Dave Metzger

Probably I'm the only one here who bought such a thing... tongue

The score is nothing special (and very short). And "I wanted to use themes by Mancina & Collins but I wasn't allowed. So I just ripped off them!" type of music are annoying. But there is one track I liked, The Dream.

The songs by Melissa Etheridge (and two unknown guys) are bland as hell, but I sometimes enjoyed some of them tongue
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yeah, a really great piece of work. I rarely listen to it because it´s quite exhausting, but when I do, it´s always an experience.

Exhausting is a word I would associate with something like Krull, but not Land Before Time which is subtlety and beauty wrapped up in a nice 60 minute package. I don't feel exhausted, only enlightened.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Atlantis: The Lost Empire (promo) - James Newton Howard

One of the finest scores by JNH. The action stuff is amazing and the second half of the score is plain irresistible!! Favourite Cues - Atlantis Destroyed, The Submarine, Leviathan Battle, The Journey, Atlantis Discovered, Secret Swim, The Crew's Conscience, Going After Rourke, Dogfight, Just Do It, Atlantis. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Atlantis: The Lost Empire (promo) - James Newton Howard

One of the finest scores by JNH. The action stuff is amazing and the second half of the score is plain irresistible!! Favourite Cues - Atlantis Destroyed, The Submarine, Leviathan Battle, The Journey, Atlantis Discovered, Secret Swim, The Crew's Conscience, Going After Rourke, Dogfight, Just Do It, Atlantis. punk

I agree 100%. This score was an incredible follow-up to Dinosaur, I just wish James could return to animation again.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote

Couldn't agree more.

Miya wrote

The score is nothing special (and very short). And "I wanted to use themes by Mancina & Collins but I wasn't allowed. So I just ripped off them!" type of music are annoying. But there is one track I liked, The Dream.

The songs by Melissa Etheridge (and two unknown guys) are bland as hell, but I sometimes enjoyed some of them tongue

The first one (was it by Stephen Warbeck?) was quite good actually.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. No, the first was by Mark Mancina and Phil Collins

Stephen Warbeck scored Two Brothers.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah yeah. You're right, then my comment is invalid. I had Two brothers in mind, brother bear 1 was equally uninteresting to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD - Bernard Herrmann

Herrmann's best fantasy score IMO and amongst a handful of classics of what a fantasy score is measured by!?

Herrmann didn't need a 100+ piece choir to imbue his fantasy with magic.

This is the John Debney re-recording with the RSNO, it's brilliant!

I was playing it too. AMAZING stuff.

I was playing : Stargate (Arnold)

Egypt and Space??? Yes, please!

In my top 10 all time favourite scores. And yes, It's a little bit repetitive, but who cares when the main theme is so beautiuful and majestous!

"battle at the pyramid" still is one of the best action cues I ever heard.

and "going Home" is the best way to close an score!

NP:Die Another Day (Arnold)

Underrated score. The Arnold's motif for that movie is pretty good.

I can understand why some people blames Arnold for this heavy electronics, but I don't share this opinion. I think Brosnam movies are "high tech" and it's very appropiate use this electronics.

"hovercraft chase","iced inc" or "whiteout" are very cool!

My only complaintment is the 3 tracks homenages to Barry are too Barry. Bland and Umemorable. Arnold can do it better.

Next I will Play: Darkness Falls (Tyler)

IMHO his best score. A very Herrman-esque main theme and his usual powerful action writting.

Very appropiate for a hallooween Day.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote

Couldn't agree more.

Miya wrote

The first one (was it by Stephen Warbeck?) was quite good actually.

Weird!

Why is the I' ROBOT quote credited to Miya and not Me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'Cause maintitles.net went bananas since last night! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yeah, I´ve had some problems loading the page for a couple of days crazy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar