• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    Naxos’s Premier Download Site, ClassicsOnline, Launches World’s Largest, Online Collection of 320-kbps, DRM-Free Classical Music –

Nearly 22,000 Albums

Naxos takes lead in fast-growing digital music market; strengthens offerings to music fans worldwide

NEW YORK / LONDON / HONG KONG – November 3, 2008 – Naxos today announced that music enthusiasts and audiophiles worldwide can now visit www.ClassicsOnline.com (COL) – the leading online, independent classical music store – and begin downloading from the universe’s largest online classical music catalog (nearly 22,000 DRM-free albums) at 320 kbps. This speed and quality make mp3 files indistinguishable from CDs. Membership is free and includes three free tracks/downloads.

Created by pioneers of the value-priced CD industry – independent classical music label, Naxos, and its Chairman Klaus Heymann – ClassicsOnline features titles from more than 100 independent labels. ClassicsOnline has been perfecting its site, technology and offerings since it was first launched in May 2007. Naxos is known as the world’s leading classical music label. It is the only record company that has a record label AND its own commercially viable download service offering labels outside of its own catalog.

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    WOW! shocked

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Nice !
    Gonna browse through their library asap ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. They don't seem to have a "Soundtrack" genre to choose from? sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Why would anyone pay 13,98 € for The Sea Hawk when you can find a sealed copy of it at Amazon for less money? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We're living in an impatient world it would seem.
  3. nice, but not many real albums, for instance only 2 compilations so this is not the next best thing confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    It is just one more step in the direction of all downloading. The next step is going to be some new releases which will be only available as a download. They have decided on 320 which should please most people, but not all. Then again how many of you are using tube amplifiers. They are superior you know.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    They have decided on 320 which should please most people, but not all. Then again how many of you are using tube amplifiers. They are superior you know.
    Thomas

The issue is that if everything goes download and 320k is the agreed upon bit rate then it's a downgrade in quality from CD. That's ass backwards!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I agree with you Erik. But I know that majority is going to rule on this one. You know as well as I that 90% of the listening is on speakers that can't approach the quality of the CD. Even my high end Klipsch speakers don't do it full justice. We can say that 320 is pretty decent quality.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I agree with you Erik. But I know that majority is going to rule on this one.

The majority is downloading 128k DRM AAC files from iTunes.

sdtom wrote
    You know as well as I that 90% of the listening is on speakers that can't approach the quality of the CD. Even my high end Klipsch speakers don't do it full justice.

That's not the issue.

I, the user, want the best quality possible so I can decide what size I want to convert the file to. CD to 320k is a DOWNGRADE and is unacceptable.

sdtom wrote
    We can say that 320 is pretty decent quality.

You said it... decent... but not the BEST!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I, the user, want the best quality possible so I can decide what size I want to convert the file to. CD to 320k is a DOWNGRADE and is unacceptable.

You're not wrong.
    But wrong or right has got nothing to do with it.

It's VHS <-> Video 2000 all over again, and there's nothing anyone is going to do about it...NOT as long as the majority is content with 128 kbps.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008
    I understand his point very well but Erik is 1 out of who knows. It is going to happen sooner than we think. I remember the day I walked into Tower records and the lp's were all gone.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Yet they continue to make LPs!

CDs aren't in danger IMO, the niche market will be there for some time. Especially among us. Maybe you'll see a reduction of "general releases', but then they'll just pass those titles onto the limited labels to produce a limited run.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    LP's have their place with this DJ/Disco stuff and some kids who are going retro. Not really much of a market. There is one presser and not a very good one at that, believe me I've listened. You can listen to them on this retro system junk but they sound awful on a quality turntable.

Companies like Intrada who still haven't figured out what a barcode is will go on for a time until Douglass and Roger retire.

If you want a quality CD player for your stereo system get it soon and pack it away.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008