• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bregt wrote
    Nobody likes this?

I think it's the song version (for example to use at the end of the film) of the dwarves song we hear in the trailer. Or am I wrong? It's very catchy, and I love it when after the first third, the hand clapping begins. Very nice rhythm and melody.

Yes, the melody is nice. But I wish they would lose the vocals and the smithy effects.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Empire Magazine seems to be streaming all 1 hour and 45 minutes of Howard Shore's The Hobbit here:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35757
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    Song of the Lonely Mountain
    http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/ … lfinn.html

I love it! punk :dwarf:

I love it! FOLK!! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    Jim Ware wrote
    It's worth noting that this song (and the theme used in the trailer) were both written by Plan 9, not Howard Shore.

Really? I didn't know that.

Great theme, I love it. Since the teaser has been released I've listened to it a lot, including remakes and clips that had the sound effects faded out and things like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012 edited
    Jim Ware wrote
    It's worth noting that this song (and the theme used in the trailer) were both written by Plan 9, not Howard Shore.

Where did you get that from? Because what I read on Rolling Stone...

"'The Song of the Lonely Mountain' was developed from a dark and mysterious theme which the dwarves sing early in the movie," Finn tells Rolling Stone. He says Jackson and his team suggested he get in a "dwarven state of mind" as he shaped the song to play over the end credits. "After some days of mining underground (actually, in Peters office) I emerged with the song, then set about recording it with my sons Elroy and Liam. Dave Fridmann came in at the end with a bold mix. He seemed to respond well to my demands for 'more anvil!' Pop music needs more anvil!"

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … z2C92TOM4M

...I read it as: 'the song is a further development of the dwarven song featured in the film', that could very well have been composed by Howard Shore (otherwise they would've clearly mentioned he wrote the song itself, instead of developing it from a theme in the film). All other articles stem from the Rolling Stone quote, including some bad 'translations'.

Also, the theme really sounds as a Shore-theme. And not to forget: Neil Finn would have to've written the song before principal photography started, since it's being sung in the film, and he's only been attached to the project for a few months now...
  3. Bregt wrote
    Song of the Lonely Mountain
    http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/ … lfinn.html

I love it! punk :dwarf:

Listening to the whole score on Empire I discovered that there is a great orchestral version of that tune. Blaring horns play the melody. It's very different in feel, but really excellent! It's in the track "Roast Mutton," and far more exciting that one might expect a track with that name to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Where did you get that from? Because what I read on Rolling Stone...

Song credits -
    “Song of the Lonely Mountain”

Music by
    NEIL FINN
    DAVID DONALDSON
    STEVE ROCHE
    JANET RODDICK
    DAVID LONG

Lyrics by
    NEIL FINN

Performed and Produced by
    NEIL FINN

(from http://warnerbros2012.warnerbros.com/sc … =thehobbit)

Other tracks that include interpolations of that theme also credit Plan 9.

Also...
    Doug Adams wrote
    The melody of "Misty Mountains" is a composition that Plan 9 and David Long created for the Dwarves to sing in Bag End. (We've all seen the scene in the 2011 teaser.) It was a good tune -- nice and moody and fairly malleable -- so Shore wove it into the score in a few key spots. In my opinion, he really makes it his own, but I guess I'm biased! Anyway, the variations are stunning: all sorts of shifts in harmony, meter, and melodic contour. Shore was extremely careful to make his settings fit in with the rest of his Dwarf music so that there's a beautiful cohesion to the work.

The song at the end of the end of the album was a collaboration between Neil Finn and David Long of Plan 9. Shore was not directly involved with this song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012
    It's a lovely tune.

Thanks Jim!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    The trailer arrangement does sound very 'Shore', and also has a hint of another motif from the score. The trailer piece is used almost verbatim in the score.
  4. I don't know the music so well to know whether Shore's lack of involvement with this song is the first time this has happened in any of the films. Is it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    95% boring and/or grating is my first impression. A far cry from the LOTR diversity. This is more back to the Shore I knew before, the one I disliked (the Cronenberg Shore).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    95% boring could be because it is complete, 01:45:50!

I'm sure the album is more highlighted. I'm now at Roast Mutton and I like it. Also the piece between 25:00 and 30:00 was really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    The shorter of the two albums that will be available is this version!!

STANDARD EDITION:

DISC 1
    01. My Dear Frodo (8:04)
    02. Old Friends (4:29)
    03. An Unexpected Party (3:52)
    04. Axe or Sword? (5:57)
    05. Misty Mountains performed by Richard Armitage and The Dwarf Cast (1:42) Composed by J.R.R. Tolkien and Plan 9
    06. The Adventure Begins (2:04) Composed by Howard Shore and Plan 9
    07. The World is Ahead (2:19)
    08. An Ancient Enemy(4:58)
    09. Radagast the Brown (4:54)
    10. Roast Mutton (4:02) Composed by Howard Shore and Plan 9
    11. A Troll-hoard (2:38)
    12. The Hill of Sorcery (3:50)
    13. Warg-scouts (3:02)
    TOTAL TIME: 51:51

DISC 2
    14. The Hidden Valley (3:50)
    15. Moon Runes (3:20)
    16. The Defiler (1:13)
    17. The White Council (7:19)
    18. Over Hill (3:43)
    19. A Thunder Battle (3:55)
    20. Under Hill (1:55) Composed by Howard Shore and Plan 9
    21. Riddles in the Dark (5:21)
    22. Brass Buttons (7:37)
    23. Out of the Frying-Pan (5:54)
    24. A Good Omen (5:46)
    25. Song of the Lonely Mountain performed by Neil Finn (4:09) Composed by Neil Finn and Plan 9
    26. Dreaming of Bag End (1:49)
    TOTAL TIME: 55:51

GRAND TOTAL TIME: 1:47:42

The deluxe version is even longer:

SPECIAL EDITION:

DISC 1
    01. My Dear Frodo (8:03)
    02. Old Friends (Extended Version) (5:00)
    03. An Unexpected Party (Extended Version) (4:08)
    04. Blunt the Knives performed by The Dwarf Cast (1:01) Composed by J.R.R. Tolkien and Stephen Gallagher
    05. Axe or Sword? (5:59)
    06. Misty Mountains performed by Richard Armitage and The Dwarf Cast (1:42) Composed by J.R.R. Tolkien and Plan 9
    07. The Adventure Begins (2:04)
    08. The World is Ahead (2:19) Composed by Howard Shore and Plan 9
    09. An Ancient Enemy (4:56)
    10. Radagast the Brown (Extended Version) (6:37)
    11. The Trollshaws (2:08)
    12. Roast Mutton (Extended Version) (4:56) Composed by Howard Shore and Plan 9
    13. A Troll-hoard (2:38)
    14. The Hill of Sorcery (3:50)
    15. Warg-scouts (3:02)
    TOTAL TIME: 58:23 (6:32 longer than OST disc 1)

DISC 2
    16. The Hidden Valley (3:49)
    17. Moon Runes (Extended Version) (3:39)
    18. The Defiler (1:14)
    19. The White Council (Extended Version) (9:40)
    20. Over Hill (3:42) Composed by Howard Shore and Plan 9
    21. A Thunder Battle (3:54)
    22. Under Hill (1:54)
    23. Riddles in the Dark (5:21)
    24. Brass Buttons (7:37)
    25. Out of the Frying-Pan (5:55)
    26. A Good Omen (5:54)
    27. Song of the Lonely Mountain (Extended Version) performed by Neil Finn (6:00) Composed by Neil Finn and Plan 9
    28. Dreaming of Bag End (1:56)
    EXCLUSIVE BONUS TRACKS (8:14)
    29. A Very Respectable Hobbit (1:20)
    30. Erebor (1:19)
    31. The Dwarf Lords (2:01)
    32. The Edge of the Wild (3:34) Composed by Howard Shore and Plan 9

TOTAL TIME: 1:08:40 (12:49 longer than OST disc 2 [4:35 longer from Extended Cues and 8:14 from Bonus Tracks])

GRAND TOTAL TIME: 2:07:03

(From FSM forum)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    As much as I admire the effort that has gone into quantifying boredom, I respectfully disagree with Thor; it sounds like a logical reverse extension of the LOTR sound world to me.

I don't know the music so well to know whether Shore's lack of involvement with this song is the first time this has happened in any of the films. Is it?

Yes, I believe it is. Although he didn't write them, he did at least orchestrate and arrange the orchestral material for Enya's contributions in Fellowship.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The shorter of the two albums that will be available is this version!!

Oh... dizzy

I just finished my first listen. I like how there are hints to the LOTR but a bit 'thinner' or less full grown, so to speak.

This is my first impression, but I didn't listen with the headphones, it was more in the background.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    95% boring could be because it is complete, 01:45:50!

I'm sure the album is more highlighted. I'm now at Roast Mutton and I like it. Also the piece between 25:00 and 30:00 was really good.

That could be, which is why I await final evalution untill I hear the shorter album presentation in full.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. It IS the shorter presentation. The longer one is 20 minutes longer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll take the longer one cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    It IS the shorter presentation. The longer one is 20 minutes longer.

Unless you edit the planned releases down to a highlights CD then the longer versions are all that is coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote

No, the "short" one is the 50-minute one. The one linked to at Empire is the extended version of 1 hour:45 minutes. Right?`Or is the standard release a 2CD set as well? Confusing.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

No, the "short" one is the 50-minute one. The one linked to at Empire is the extended version of 1 hour:45 minutes. Right?`Or is the standard release a 2CD set as well? Confusing.

Where are you seeing the 50-minute version. As far as I know, there are only the ones listed above.
  8. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The standard release is the 1 hour 45 minutes release. The "deluxe" version is 2 hours 7 minutes - both 2 CDs. See tracklistings above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sounded a bit like LOTR redux but a bit on the bored side, for me at least.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Where are you seeing the 50-minute version. As far as I know, there are only the ones listed above.

I see.

Well, that makes it a bit tricky, doesn't it? Not sure how I'm going to go about this now. I had hoped there would be a regular, commercial release of some 60-70 minutes, max, like the regular LOTR ones.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    It's a regular commercial release that just happens to be two discs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I'll take the longer one cool

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDr Bashir
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012
    Dreadful release. Unlistenable. Should have been a single disc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    There will be a 50-minutes version!

In my iTunes playlist. It will be named "The best of The Hobbit". wink

In the meantime, I've listened to Song of the Lonely Mountain about 50 times in two days. I like how it fits autumn and the feeling of winter coming. And the movie of course.

Tomorrow I have a day off and I will listen to the score again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The score, btw, doesn't seem to be getting a good acceptance overall so far over the world of the world wide webbbs.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    There will be a 50-minutes version!

In my iTunes playlist. It will be named "The best of The Hobbit". wink

I dread I have to do that too, although 'pretending to be a record producer' goes against every fibre in my body.
    I am extremely serious.