• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    Here's another streaming of the score, but track by track, and you can play each of them seperately
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … e-20121130

The Dwarf theme is indeed the strongest and most memorable new theme of the score, and when it appears it's definitely part of the highlights of the score. After one listen I must say that not much jumped out at me yet. I fear that it's a bit of a disappointment. It's also very long.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    What's different from the other stream? Only the fact that now the tracks are separated and the rippers can do a better job? smile But still, this is a huge disappointment for me, as i predicted. Don't want to take this for granted in my mind, but it seems that Shore has fallen into the Silvestri, JNH and others' bandwagon post-LOTR; let's hope they spring out eventually wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited
    Well, the streams works now! The other one I got barely a few minutes from because it blocked somehow.

You make weird conclusions! Sometimes you are bringing all things together and create a rather pessimistic orgy of thoughts. tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited
    smile Nah, it's just my summation of what i hear from those three over the past years; especially with Shore, it's been one disappointment after another lately. I find pleasure in film music in new composers these days, surprises floating around and mostly in non-US soils.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012
    I played this score twice from the new stream and to me this stream sounds much better then what we initially had and you know what... it's made a difference. I like the score a little bit more than I originally did. I think a viewing of the film is going to help me with my final judgment. The more muscular cues are a real highlight!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The action cues are definitely the star for me. I also think the finale cue ("A Good Omen") is a stunner. It's just the middle of the score (from "A Troll Hoard" to "White Council", excepting "Warg Scouts) that I find a challenge to get through.
  1. Some of the action tracks are pretty impressive -- 'Out of the Frying Pan' comes to mind. And I like Neil Finn's song -- it's quite a highlight for me actually.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If anyone wants this perfect rip drop me a pm smile
  2. Shore is facing the same situation Williams did when scoring the prequels.

Imagine to watch all six films in a row, starting with "The Hobbit" right through "Return of the King". Shore tries to create a musical stream of thematic deveolpement that will make sense in retospective, even though the films were released in non chronolgical order.

So he can't go all out now, he has to hold back for things to come. And: Should it all get watered down a bit along the way, who is to blame? The composer or the guys who decided to bloat this to a new trilogy?

Anyway, if the narration holds, I am confident, Shore will deliver.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I'm not questioning whether his music will fit the film or be appropriate chronologically. I'm sure he's put a lot of thought into that. I just don't like it as much as the originals. Or even close to as much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012 edited
    New video interview with Shore on Hobbit:

(from scoop.it/t/soundtrack)

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/12/05/t … ard-shore/
  4. Captain Future wrote
    Shore is facing the same situation Williams did when scoring the prequels.

Imagine to watch all six films in a row, starting with "The Hobbit" right through "Return of the King". Shore tries to create a musical stream of thematic deveolpement that will make sense in retospective, even though the films were released in non chronolgical order.

So he can't go all out now, he has to hold back for things to come. And: Should it all get watered down a bit along the way, who is to blame? The composer or the guys who decided to bloat this to a new trilogy?

Anyway, if the narration holds, I am confident, Shore will deliver.

That's all very well but if so why not push out one shorter album that respects this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012 edited
    I just bought the special edition of THE HOBBIT (in the store, no less! It's been a while since I last didn't have to order it online!). It ultimately took quite a while of doubting with both the regular and special editions in my hands (my left is just about strong enough to do so now, so it was a good practice), which is weird because when they were announced I expected to mindlessly buy the special edition. Basically because I've always done so for the original trilogy and even loved each and every moment of the complete recordings. I also preferred the jewel case of the regular release, with the "special" edition now in cardboard whereas the original trilogy limited editions came with a nice (fake) leathery look.

Oh well, since I haven't heard it yet (wanted to wait for the official release), let's hope it's worth it!

EDIT: Ok, the package is actually nicer than it seems when still in plastic, with the maps of Middle Earth covering the inside and a nice thick booklet containing lyrics, wonderful high quality pictures of the recording sessions and extensive liner notes by Doug Adams, who has a lot more to say about the music and themes than these notes usually contain (replacing the personal messages from Shore and Jackson, by the way, which are now absent).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012
    BobdH wrote
    It ultimately took quite a while of doubting with both the regular and special editions in my hands (my left is just about strong enough to do so now, so it was a good practice),

biggrin

Glad to hear that is okay again!

I just heard the extra tracks on Spotify. Roasted Mutton and the song are fantastic tracks! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012
    http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/ph … 4_460s.jpg biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cute, but a bit too cynical way to look at it, IMO.

If there's ANYONE who has a close personal connection to the Tolkien universe, it's Jackson. And he wants to treat it with as much artistic reverence as possible...and so you need three films to properly get that across. I think if he had the time and energy to make LOTR into six films or whatever, he would have done that too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012 edited
    A more honest picture would also show Tolkien's copious extra-volume notes as part of the "Hobbit" section because that is the primary* reason The Hobbit is being split up into 3 films.

*Ok, money is probably somewhere up there too. But they probably had to pay the Tolkien family a huge settlement just to get the rights to do this...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, don't tell me someone is making 6 Tolkien films, no matter how good, just for the sake of the art wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Well, don't tell me someone is making 6 Tolkien films, no matter how good, just for the sake of the art wink

Not just, of course, but it's definitely one of the major guiding forces.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Hopefully one day when it's all public domain a Tolkien film will be made that's mostly art.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hopefully one day when it's all public domain a Tolkien film will be made that's mostly art.

Eeeeexactly my point wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's art already. Very much so. I don't think there was ever a time when art and some form of commerce didn't exist side by side.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I'd like to run an empirical study to determine the correlaton between Star Wars Prequel bashers and Peter Jackson LotR haters.

If you want art go to Cannes, go to Sundance, but stop bashing mere popcorn flicks that are as close to art as entertainment can get.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. I wasn't bashing the films. Noone whose seen the weta workshop stuff on the films could deny there's a lot of top work here, foreground and background. (Just to pick one craft area.) Theyre not above criticism of course but mostly they do a good thing. not entirely tolkien but theyre the best weve got. What I was alluding to, and I think this is where Demi is coming from too, is that because owning the film rights are a prerequisite for making a Tolkien film , at the moment it's a game that only big money can play. In a hundred years when the domains of the Tolkien estate, Lucas film, Disney and all are long expired, we may see some very interesting reinventions of a lot of material. And no, there's no guarantee that if we lived to see it, we would like it any better.
  8. Just because there's a few talking points here that will soon be submerged in the Now Playing thread...

NP: The Hobbit (Erik edit) (Howard Shore)

Or mostly the Erik edit. I think I threw one more track in -- a Gollum one, just because it felt strange to imagine this story without the Gollum episode. Maybe you've stuffed the second half a little too heavy with wall-to-wall thunderous action (even that can get boring!), but mixing up the order of the cues would probably ameliorate that a bit.

But anyway... what of all of this? It helps immensely to slim the material in this way. I have no idea if great music has been cut out, but the resulting music feels stronger than the album did on first listen, so I'm calling it a massive improvement at this point. And is that a surprise? Better composers than Shore usually play better in edited form. (Richard Wagner anyone? Tell me -- how often do you go past the 'Ring Cycle Highlights' disc to meditate on the whole thing?)

It helps also to hear this on proper speakers. The various streaming things listened through headphones definitely did not serve Shore's murky connective tissue well. Now the innumerable repeated three, four and five note motifs start to become clearer. The sort of stuff Doug Adams and others (and once I) devote paragraphs uncountable to interpreting. It's here. I wish I could say I liked that stuff, but I can respect the thought behind it a bit more. There's some thoughtful twists on the body of themes that was built up over the Ring trilogy. I just wish it made my heart sing, and it really doesn't. I don't know whether that's Shore's judgement as a dramatist or his limitations as a composer, but how I wish I just felt anything other than bored for large stretches of this. The heart just wants to sing.

Ah, yes, the singing heart. The emotion I have at times been accused of lacking in my appreciation of the music we all listen to. Look that's all well and good, but I'd be amazed if anyone was shedding tears to this as pure music. That's either a film doing the heavy lifting, the weight of past associations giving it all a nostalgic familiar edge, or the audience putting their hearts into the gaps in a work (the latter something many artists aspire to).

The opening of 'Radagast the Brown'... and 'Roast Mutton' to some extent also -- which both feel quite new in the music of Lord of the Rings -- make me wish that rather that the music had been able to start from scratch this time around. That rather than pay hommage to every theme and texture of Lord of the Rings at every conceivable foreshadowing, a new approach had been taken. Equally rich, but new at every turn. This score mostly feels a little too much like the 10 hours of music that preceded it. There's not much elbow room for new feelings when you feel like you must have heard the last 8 bars before.

But maybe there's two kinds of people. Some who are endlessly frustrated when new art doesn't formally integrate with what has come before. These people wanted Prometheus's score to sound more like Alien, wanted Desplat and Shore to do more with the Carter Burwell theme in Twilight, bristled at the lack of musical integrity in the Harry Potter films, disliked that Danny Elfman did not tilt the hat to Marco Beltrami in Hellboy, mildly begrudge Lalo Schifrin for not following-up Michel Legrand's best day, and now even a few diehard fans of the Middle Earth music have taken up the banner of 'offended composer devotees'* due to the sort of slapdash musical tracking and looping that most films have to do at some point.
    * This is what I refer to there.

And then there are the other sorts of people. They might have liked the former things, respect their existence. But they're equally happy to see equally talented people offer their own spin on classic material.

But then I was most excited about this film when Peter Weir was a potential directing candidate. Who knows how that would have worked, and he probably would have done too much of his own thing for that to have worked with Jackson supervising, but one thing we can say for sure -- it would be hard to second guess what THAT film's music would have sounded like, even if Howard Shore had been writing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    ...mildly begrudge Lalo Schifrin for not following-up Michel Legrand's best day...

biggrin

Sorry.
    Had to single that out.

My hat of to your most obscure frame of reference.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. wave

It's been 40 years but the healing process is a slow one. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012
    I, of course, as will be no surprise to you whatsoever, massively prefer Schifrin's work.
    Antipodes we are, antipodes we'll remain. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Are you sure you've heard both enough times to make a certain statement? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012
    You have known me ever to be UNcertain, by thunder?