• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthor.KK
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012
    Hey,
    I know I'm new here, but I wrote out a review/analysis of Shore's score and would be interested in your opinion.

http://musicmusekk.wordpress.com/2012/1 … ard-shore/

Thanks for reading!

-KK
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012
    Rather annoyingly the CD booklets don't indicate where all of the themes can be heard.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013
    Also, big new assignment with Cronenberg :

Howard Shore Renuites With David Cronenberg For "Maps To The Stars" Score | RobertPattinsonFilms.com

http://robertpattinsonfilms.com/2013/05 … ars-score/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013 edited
    Over the past 24 hours, Peter Jackson has been live-blogging about his final day of shooting THE HOBBIT, which luckily included music-spotting with Howard Shore. After describing a bit of the process Jackson elaborated a bit about the music for the second film:

The score for Film 2 is going to be terrific. Last year, we were a little frustrated because we had to revisit so many of the LotR themes - The Shire, Rivendell, Galadriel, Gollum, and the Ring - we did this because I'm wanting these 3 Hobbit movies to have great unity with the Rings films in design, wardrobe, story and music, so it meant "An Unexpected Journey" had to acknowledge what had gone before.

But this time around, apart from a couple of Ring moments, it's all new: Beorn, Mirkwood, The Woodland Realm, Laketown, Bard and Smaug all give Howard the chance to write brand new themes, and he's knocking it out of the park!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013
    Yummy! lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Yeah, but the statement does not make too much sense to me for "what went before" is actually what will come after.
    If future generations watch those 6 films in their chronological order they will have all those LoTR themes in the first Hobbit, those themes then disappear in the following two Hobbits just to re-emerge in the fourth (Fellowship).
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013 edited
    For continuity's sake, you're right Volker.
    But here we have to consider the commercial impact as well: the more or less casual "Rings" fans flocking to the cinemas now would expect a continuation in style and sound for recognition effect.
    So from that angle I can perfectly understand Shore's and Jackson's approach: it's less to do with al six parts being one big story, but rather one trilogy echoing the other one in hopes it will be just as successful,
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Peter Jackson said
    Last year, we were a little frustrated because we had to revisit so many of the LotR themes

Yeah, well, it's your own stupid fault, isn't it? Any word on why the Nazgul theme was playing over the final fight? No? Shaddap then! rolleyes

Bitter? Moi? wink
  3. Howe Records has released Howard Shore's score for the 2013 film Jimmy P. It's worth a listen if you dream of the days of Shore's scores pre-Lord of The Rings. To my ears at least, Jimmy P. reminds me of his style from earlier on in his career.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jimmy-P/dp/B00E … p;sr=301-1
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013 edited
    Pre-ordering has gone up for both The Hobbit - The Desolation Of Smaug [Double CD]. No clips as yet.

[Special Edition] ]http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hobbit-Desolation-Special-Edition/dp/tracks/B00G5G7YCA/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

Disc: 1
    1. The Quest for Erebor
    2. Wilderland
    3. A Necromancer
    4. The House of Beorn (Extended Version)
    5. Mirkwood (Extended Version)
    6. Flies and Spiders (Extended Version)
    7. The Woodland Realm (Extended Version)
    8. Feast of Starlight
    9. Barrels Out of Bond
    10. The Forest River (Extended Version)
    11. Bard, a Man of Lake-Town (Extended Version)
    12. The High Fells (Extended Version)
    13. The Nature of Evil
    14. Protector of the Common Folk

Disc: 2
    1. Thrice Welcome
    2. Girion, Lord of Dale (Extended Version)
    3. Durin's Foke (Extended Version)
    4. In the Shadow of the Mountain
    5. A Spell of Concealment (Extended Version)
    6. On the Doorstep
    7. The Courage of Hobbits
    8. Inside Information
    9. Kingsfoil
    10. A Liar and a Thief
    11. The Hunters (Extended Version)
    12. Smaug (Extended Version)
    13. My Armor Is Iron
    14. I See Fire - Ed Sheeran
    15. Beyond the Forest

Not sure how accurate it is going to be as the "ordinary edition" 2-CD set listed on Amazon looks pretty much the same.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Desolati … ords=smaug
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013
    God, I hope some savvy fans-playing-record producers can boil these HOBBIT soundtracks down to, say, one 60-minute program pr. film. I couldn't even get through half of the first one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    God, I hope some savvy fans-playing-record producers can boil these HOBBIT soundtracks down to, say, one 60-minute program pr. film. I couldn't even get through half of the first one.

Neither could I. One of the worst soundtrack releases of all time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Can't wait. Bring it on!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I'm so glad that they're releasing these scores in a way that allows us to appreciate the full extent of Shore's thematic development for these movies. A 60-minute presentation would be crippling.
  5. Word!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm so glad that they're releasing these scores in a way that allows us to appreciate the full extent of Shore's thematic development for these movies. A 60-minute presentation would be crippling.

It would be awesome.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. It would suuuuuuuck. The Complete Recordings were a revelation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm so glad that they're releasing these scores in a way that allows us to appreciate the full extent of Shore's thematic development for these movies. A 60-minute presentation would be crippling.

It would be awesome.

It's a requirement.
    I was able to bring back The Hobbit to about 30 minutes of truly great and exciting music.
    I don't enjoy having to do that, but I grant I'd rather do that than have a 30 minute release and lament the omission of exactly that one bit of emotionally seminal bit of sound (I always reference the bit Williams scored for Luke's anger and seduction to the Dark Side when battling Vader in Jedi, which may have been the most requested 30 seconds of music in the history of film score publishing for about 15 years!).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yeah, but they're putting out the special edition to do exactly that. It's a pity the regular edition isn't a thoughtfully produced album to cater to the people out there who would appreciate that, rather than something they'll never listen to. There's probably a decent album somewhere in the first Hobbit score, but I'll be buggered if I have the time to find it. Both released albums are unlistenable to my ears, extremely dull and an unpleasant chore to sit through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That was my experience too. In fact, a 60 minutes redux was an optimistic estimate as I felt it was a far cry from the thematic versatility of the LOTR scores. There was probably less interesting music than that. But as I said, I could never get through the album and just had to skip tracks all the time (which I NEVER do).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yeah, but they're putting out the special edition to do exactly that. It's a pity the regular edition isn't a thoughtfully produced album to cater to the people out there who would appreciate that, rather than something they'll never listen to. There's probably a decent album somewhere in the first Hobbit score, but I'll be buggered if I have the time to find it. Both released albums are unlistenable to my ears, extremely dull and an unpleasant chore to sit through.

Yeah, I agree that the standard edition seems a little bit pointless. Seems like it doesn't really properly please anybody; those who are into the whole Tolkien music thing, like me, will pick up the longer one anyway, and for those who aren't it's probably too long and daunting. If they did a 1-CD standard and a 2-CD special, I think that would be a lot better, then people could pick their poison.

Unless, of course, there's bits on the Standard that sound better than the equivalent bits on the Special. crazy

What I can't agree with is the people saying there's only half an hour of good music or that the thematic versatility is weaker than LotR. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    With the first Hobbit releases, one of the best moments of the score on the regular release was missing from the extended release, forcing fans to either buy or steal both. They'd better not pull that crap again. But they probably will.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

It would be awesome.

It's a requirement.
    I was able to bring back The Hobbit to about 30 minutes of truly great and exciting music.
    I don't enjoy having to do that, but I grant I'd rather do that than have a 30 minute release and lament the omission of exactly that one bit of emotionally seminal bit of sound (I always reference the bit Williams scored for Luke's anger and seduction to the Dark Side when battling Vader in Jedi, which may have been the most requested 30 seconds of music in the history of film score publishing for about 15 years!).

Oh, yes, the "Nooooooo!" music.
    This moment shows Williams not only as a fantastic composer but also as someone who has a deep understanding of the narration that he is working with.
    This moment is the absolute pinnacle of the story. Everything is at stake now, the Emperor is at the brink of victory. Williams scores this meaningful moment with a theme never used before. A "Dispair theme", only hinted at after Yoda's passing. This is masterful film scoring! These 30 seconds comprise everything that facinates me about film music.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    What I can't agree with is the people saying there's only half an hour of good music or that the thematic versatility is weaker than LotR. dizzy

I loved the 'dwarf' theme which is played prominently as they travel across the mountain or whatever. But that's really all I can remember and that made an impact. But again -- I've only heard it in the movie itself (once) and sampled the unsatisfactory album a few times before I deleted it from my iTunes.

I thought the film was SUPERB, though, if that accounts for something.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I loved the percussion heavy theme for that bird-wizzard. It was a crime not to use it in the film.

Volker

PS: O, his name is Radagast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Radagast?
    You mean Radagast the Brown?
    Radagast the Fool?

[blantly displaying anorakky Lord Of The Rings trivia knowledge]

Captain Future wrote
    [the 'nooooooo' music]
    This moment is the absolute pinnacle of the story. Everything is at stake now, the Emperor is at the brink of victory. Williams scores this meaningful moment with a theme never used before. A "Dispair theme", only hinted at after Yoda's passing. This is masterful film scoring! These 30 seconds comprise everything that facinates me about film music.

Very well put, Volker.
    I agree 100%!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I saw RETURN OF THE JEDI before I bought the soundtrack, to say I was utterly, despairingly gutted by the omission of THAT music, music I'd immediately noticed on my very first viewing of the film, is a MASSIVE understatement.
  10. Martijn wrote
    Radagast?
    Radagast the Fool?

Hey! Only Saruman calls him "the fool!" wink Although perhaps Jackson took that a little too literally with his bird-shit-hair and the accursed Rhosgobel Rabbits. slant
    Thor wrote
    I loved the 'dwarf' theme which is played prominently as they travel across the mountain or whatever. But that's really all I can remember and that made an impact. But again -- I've only heard it in the movie itself (once) and sampled the unsatisfactory album a few times before I deleted it from my iTunes.

I thought the film was SUPERB, though, if that accounts for something.

The score as heard in film really undermines the thematic depth of the score; as you say, really the only prominent theme is that dwarf theme (Misty Mountains), which is overused compared to the album. Probably the worst casualty in the film is Bilbo's new theme, which is an excellent extension of the Shire-type stuff from LotR (penny whistles and such), but was almost exclusively replaced by tracked-in Shire-type-stuff from LotR in the movie. slant slant

I could name at least a dozen distinct motifs from the album, NOT including reprised themes from LotR, although I won't because that would likely just bore people. But name me any other score with that kind of thematic depth that's come out since...well, Return of the King.

The film is hugely enjoyable, but I have to actively try and avoid thinking about all of its flaws and poor decisions (ESPECIALLY with regards to how the music is used), because the more I do, the more annoyed I get. slant slant slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Radagast?
    Radagast the Fool?

Hey! Only Saruman calls him "the fool!" wink

I know. Saruman has always been one of my favourite characters from The Lord Of The Rings, even in Bakshi's version (oh, the hair! The enormous, massive hair!)