• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    And what does Brian Tyler have to do with Shore's music? Completely different things, no relation.

Then don't compare Shore to Goldenthal! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote
    FINAL FANTASY : the spirits within is complex and Grand.

And also extremely weak melodically, which is why the Hobbit scores are generally much more enjoyable to people like me who want melody with their complexity and symphonic bombast.

shocked

Are you f__king mad? Weak melodically? Just because the doesn't have 50 millions themes doesn't mean that the only two themes are melodically weak. Cripes!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. No, no, he isn't f__cking mad, at most he's f__cking madly. cheesy

But in this case I am with Erik: FInal Fantasy: The Spirits Within is anything but melodically weak. It's modernist / avant garde. Goldenthal mostly is. I very much respect him for that.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    shocked
    Are you f__king mad? Weak melodically? Just because the doesn't have 50 millions themes doesn't mean that the only two themes are melodically weak. Cripes!
    -Erik-

I find those melodies to be both emotionally and mentally rather dull and boring. I do like the score for the fascinating orchestrations and huge sound, but it does nothing for me emotionally outside the climactic cue, which is decent.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    spin dizzy
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Goldenthal is all about eclecticism, postmodern influence, experimenting. The Middle-earth music is much, much more traditional, which is no bad thing.

Wait a second. The middle earth scores aren't the height of postmodernism and eclecticism? Then what else is with that faux primitive orchestra of the past mixed with every new age pop act of the 80s and 90s that anyone remembers? (Enya, Cocteau Twins, Annie Lennox, a Bjork-soundalike, admittedly not New Age but Neil Finn.) Bit of English hymn here, bit of minimalism there, a dash of Morocco and more than a dash of Celtic chic, a touch of Holst over there, top it off with a Wagner reference or two. This is as post-modern of Goldenthal's TITUS, it's just hidden behind story in such a way that the musical contrasts become part of the variation in the world for the audience.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013
    biggrin

Damn and i forgot TITUS too! Goddamn it, imagine GOLDENTHAL on the Hobbit trilogy!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013 edited
    Anyway, heard the lists you guys made, nothing can save this mediocre score to my ears. Wake me up when all the fanboy buzz goes away and call me when some serious arguments and non-biased discussions on some other score come along. Seriously if someone else other than Shore wrote this, someone lesser known, we wouldn't even talk about it; there's so much talent out there and beautiful scores in '13, enough time wasted on this and also talking about this; I'm out this endless discussion.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Demetris wrote
    biggrin

Damn and i forgot TITUS too! Goddamn it, imagine GOLDENTHAL on the Hobbit trilogy!

freezing No continuity at all.
  5. Well. Except for melodic continuity (which seems to be the case for everything else in this thread).
    It's brasher postmodernism is simply a mark of the film's self consciousness about form. Much like a Tarantino film or a Baz Luhrman, you're meant to notice the seams in a Taymor film. Get Goldenthal to score something that requires a more seamless investment in story, the joins will be less detectable.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    biggrin

It would be as jarring as replacing John Williams Star Wars prequel scores with Michael Giachinno.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    Anyway, heard the lists you guys made, nothing can save this mediocre score to my ears. Wake me up when all the fanboy buzz goes away and call me when some serious arguments and non-biased discussions on some other score come along. Seriously if someone else other than Shore wrote this, someone lesser known, we wouldn't even talk about it; there's so much talent out there and beautiful scores in '13, enough time wasted on this and also talking about this; I'm out this endless discussion.

Wake me up when you can actually explain your musicological arguments to us petty layman and stop making "its bad because fanboys like it and other things are better" your brilliant reason for crapping on things other people love.

Oh, and the bolded thing is the stupidest comment I've read on here in a long time. If someone else less expected wrote it, especially a less known composer, we'd be even more shocked and awed.

I'm not asking anyone to listen to scores they don't like, but why write ridiculous hyperbole about how bad or worthless certain scores are, rather than actually explain in detail how it could be better, so that people's knowledge about music can be improved? I guess that would be too much to ask. It just seems like a waste to be visited by such brilliant smart and lovely people as Demetris and then find such disappointing poorly-thought-out comments. When I criticize music I don't like, I try to explain precisely why I don't like it (the theme leaves me cold) and balance it with a positive (I love the huge sound and unique orchestrations). And don't tell me this doesn't matter and I take it too personally, because my life has been changed for the better by music I've found by forum's recommendations, and I care because I don't want anyone to be denied similar experiences because the music that could have changed their life was being crapped on by the forum so they never bothered to give it a chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You have to admit it's a pretty seductive type of reasoning, though...

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote

Wake me up when you can actually explain your musicological arguments to us petty layman and stop making "its bad because fanboys like it and other things are better" your brilliant reason for crapping on things other people love.

yeah
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Demetris wrote

yeah

yeah indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Sorry to interrupt this lively debate smile I'm just wondering what the difference between the standard and deluxe edition of the Desolation of Smaug soundtrack is? As far as I can see they're both 2 cd's and contains about the same amount of tracks. If it's only artwork and a few longer tracks, then I'm buying the regular version smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cash grab... that's about it!

-Erik-
  8. Artworks wrote
    Sorry to interrupt this lively debate smile I'm just wondering what the difference between the standard and deluxe edition of the Desolation of Smaug soundtrack is? As far as I can see they're both 2 cd's and contains about the same amount of tracks. If it's only artwork and a few longer tracks, then I'm buying the regular version smile

Just in case it tips your decision, there's a whole extra 2-minute track on the Special Edition.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Brilliant as it is, for most listeners the standard edition should be sufficient. It povides a colourful, engrossing, never tiring, never dull listening experiance. Go for it with the fullest of confidence.
  10. With the special edition you get an extra 18 minutes of sleep.

Music.. damn it, I meant music!

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Synchrotones wrote
    With the special edition you get an extra 18 minutes of sleep.

<s>

lol applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Double post. I've had a few beers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Synchrotones wrote
    With the special edition you get an extra 18 minutes of sleep.

<s>

applause
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Ok, thanks guys. I have the standard version of the first one, so I think I'm gonna go with the same here. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorcrocodile
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Brilliant as it is, for most listeners the standard edition should be sufficient. It povides a colourful, engrossing, never tiring, never dull listening experiance. Go for it with the fullest of confidence.

Well, you get nice liner notes with musical notations on the special edition.

As far as music presentation goes, they are almost identical. There's one short spider motif from the previous film that appears on the longer version. And one extra track. But nothing else you can really spot.

My advice: If you're not enjoying Howard Shore's music in general, neither version will do (it's still virtually 2 hours of music), but, out of the two, I'd pick SE. Standard version is a redundant product in this case.

Karol
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2013
    So, I'm super excited for the third Hobbit score now, I think the film is going to be an absolute feast of action and emotion, and Shore is going to write some even more remarkable and rich music than anything that's appeared so far in the new trilogy. The music for the Battle of the Five Armies will probably be as epic and moving as anything in the entire film series, with the possible exception of the Helm's Deep climax, which is probably close to the best action/adventure music ever written, IMO of course.

I just really hope Bilbo's theme and the Misty Mountains theme come back and make some cameos...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSynchrotones
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2013 edited
    Did you guys see the little video diary thingy about the music? It's quite good. Funny, obviously you only hear all the good bits from the score. Condensed like that, it sounds like one helluva kick ass score.... and then you sit down for the full 140 minutes of it..... sleep

Anyway, this video is cool.

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  11. Just back from watching the film and the score passed me by mostly. But it was good to see Peter Jackson include some of the original story in the film. Probably just enough to trouble the copyright on Tolkien's plot and characters.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013
    I enjoyed the movie a lot! I'll get the score later on, even though I only liked a couple of tracks from Hobbit 1. I'm hoping DOS is better with new themes. Winter is a good time for listening to Hobbit music or LOTR music. I also bought myself Doug Adams book for Christmas and I'm enjoying that a lot too!!
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013
    Bregje wrote
    I enjoyed the movie a lot! I'll get the score later on, even though I only liked a couple of tracks from Hobbit 1. I'm hoping DOS is better with new themes. Winter is a good time for listening to Hobbit music or LOTR music. I also bought myself Doug Adams book for Christmas and I'm enjoying that a lot too!!
    wave

"Feast of Starlight" + "The Forest River" + "Beyond The Forest" = thematic bliss!