• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's been a quiet period for Shore. Obviously these HOBBIT films are still some way off. What else is coming from him in the near future?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    Matt C wrote
    It's now set in stone: Guillermo del Toro will direct both Hobbit films for MGM and New Line Cinema, with Warner Brothers distributing domestically and MGM handling international duties.

And I think it is definitely a given that Howard Shore will score the film, considering that del Toro commented on the Hellboy II forums late last week regarding his involvement with the prequels and that he wasn't locked in yet. He said something along the lines of that should he devote the next 4 years to do the prequels, he would heavily immerse himself in "the biggest making-of ever", such as watching the dailies of FOTR and ROTK and making sure that both visually and film-wise the prequels fit seamlessly into the trilogy. Which means most of the same cast, production team, and composer. (And close consultation with Jackson, Boyens and Walsh.)

Brilliant! I hope it is all so?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    New Line and/or MGM haven't made any announcements regarding the cast or crew yet, I suppose they're still finalizing that deal too.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008 edited
    Guillermo del Toro talks about work on The Hobbit and that he is in talks with Sir Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Richard Taylor, John Howe and Howard Shore about the production (so far, only McKellen and Serkis are confirmed for the films).

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/04 … bit-films/

It seems like del Toro wants Shore on board, rather than have the decision forced on him by the studio.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008
    A little off topic, but an interesting title is emerging: it's a in-depth look at Howard Shore's scores...
    More below:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/04 … more-28738
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    Just in case there was still any question, Guillermo del Toro put that to rest during a recent online chat where he and Peter Jackson took questions from fans about The Hobbit. One of the questions:

Q. aust: Will Howard Shore be returning to do the score?

Guillermo_del_Toro: Yes- absolutely, Shore is teh VOICE of these films and we will absolutely be invited back. Peter and Fran have talked to him a couple of times already and Ive exchanged emails about the subject. He will return.

The rest of the chat can be read here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    I found it interesting that Shore says he has been working on this since The Two Towers... and
    also, that he has fantasized the themes:

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/36215
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    bartley wrote
    I found it interesting that Shore says he has been working on this since The Two Towers... and
    also, that he has fantasized the themes:

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/36215

Wow, that is interesting! How long has he known he will be scoring The Hobbit? Does anyone know? I just find it sort of strange that the man would already be thinking up musical themes for a movie nine years before its release, at a time when he doesn't even know if the film is being made for certain! But then again, he does seem to have enjoyed working on The Lord of the Rings, so maybe he was so into the project that themes were contstantly coming to him, and he simply wanted to write some of the unused ones down, just in case he were to end up writing for The Hobbit... confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Well, not until March I think -- but who knows.. that's abut when The interview with Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro (posted above by David) from onering.net confirmed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    David wrote
    Just in case there was still any question, Guillermo del Toro put that to rest during a recent online chat where he and Peter Jackson took questions from fans about The Hobbit. One of the questions:

Guillermo_del_Toro: Yes- absolutely, Shore is teh VOICE of these films and we will absolutely be invited back. Peter and Fran have talked to him a couple of times already and Ive exchanged emails about the subject. He will return.

Wow, how could I have missed this? I always knew they'd bring back Shore, but now it's been confirmed, it's a real relief! biggrin So LoTR stuff continues into the next decade too! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Wow, how could I have missed this? I always knew they'd bring back Shore, but now it's been confirmed, it's a real relief! So LoTR stuff continues into the next decade too!

Yeah, I can't wait! biggrin

EDIT: 100th post!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    David wrote

Wow, how could I have missed this? I always knew they'd bring back Shore, but now it's been confirmed, it's a real relief! biggrin So LoTR stuff continues into the next decade too! punk

That IS good news! Let's hope nothing changes between now and then.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. TheTelmarine wrote
    I just find it sort of strange that the man would already be thinking up musical themes for a movie nine years before its release, at a time when he doesn't even know if the film is being made for certain!

When Shore scored Looking For Richard he composed music based on his perception of the main characters and the music was then adapted specifically for the movie when it was shot and put together (that's my understanding anyway).

Tolkien's writing in THE HOBBIT may be enough for Shore to begin to get general ideas/themes for the story and it will be these that are then adapted to more specific needs when there's some footage shot?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I just find it sort of strange that the man would already be thinking up musical themes for a movie nine years before its release, at a time when he doesn't even know if the film is being made for certain!

When Shore scored Looking For Richard he composed music based on his perception of the main characters and the music was then adapted specifically for the movie when it was shot and put together (that's my understanding anyway).

Tolkien's writing in THE HOBBIT may be enough for Shore to begin to get general ideas/themes for the story and it will be these that are then adapted to more specific needs when there's some footage shot?

Ah, ok. I thought it may something along those lines. Thanks. wink
  3. Shore is teh VOICE

Guillermo can has cheezburgers? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Shore is teh VOICE

biggrin

Didn't actually expected that but it was certainly spot-on!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008 edited
    I heard rumors that Doug Adams, the author of The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films has said somewhere on some boards that Shore's rejected score for King Kong will be released officially at some point in the future. Does anyone know anything about this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    I thought there wasn't really enough of Shore's score recorded for it to be released. I didn't think it got that far.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. About 75% of it. Demos of the cues that weren't recorded, could make up the rest of the CD.

My site: http://www.RejectedFilmScores.150m.com/list.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Shore is teh VOICE

biggrin

Didn't actually expected that but it was certainly spot-on!

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Howard Shore said to a fan last year that there is a chance that the King Kong rejected score might be released, I heard. I'll look for the link and post it here ASAP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    So it's not a rumor after all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sylvos wrote
    So it's not a rumor after all.

Nope, it's pretty much a fact. wink
    • CommentAuthorKing Rao
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008
    So, has anyone here seen Shore's opera version of The Fly? I saw a few clips from it online the other day and am curious to hear peoples' thoughts on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    Did anyone in the Los Angeles see THE FLY opera yet? I'm curious what people think about it, if you've seen it.

My review is up here.....

http://www.soundtrack.net/movies/databa … age=review
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    dgoldwas wrote
    Did anyone in the Los Angeles see THE FLY opera yet? I'm curious what people think about it, if you've seen it.

My review is up here.....

http://www.soundtrack.net/movies/databa … age=review

Our friend Jim Ware saw it, care to chime in Jim?
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor that he's scoring the upcoming "Doubt" directed by John Patrick Shanley?

So is Philip Glass off??
  5. EnemyToo wrote
    Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor that he's scoring the upcoming "Doubt" directed by John Patrick Shanley?

So is Philip Glass off??

According to the trailer at Apple here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/doubt/

Yes. It appears that Howard Shore does indeed score the film.
  6. [
    DemonStar wrote
    Howard Shore said to a fan last year that there is a chance that the King Kong rejected score might be released, I heard. I'll look for the link and post it here ASAP.
    Nope, it's pretty much a fact. wink

Wow, how did I miss this news?! Any movement on this?