• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...mundane, run-of-the-mill score I've ever heard from Shore...

A post-Lord of The Rings comment?

A lot of Shore's scores were never "in-your-face". From the clips I've heard I am looking forward to hearing a score that might be more akin to what he used to do.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Hard to escape the shadow of Corigliano on this one, for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    Hard to escape the shadow of Corigliano on this one, for me.

Pardon?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010
    Corigliano was supposed to be doing the score for this film, earlier.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Well he did score it, but the score was bounced.
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Well he did score it, but the score was bounced.

Ah, right. I forgot.
  5. Listening to Edge of Darkness clips again and this definitely sounds like pre-LOTR to me - and maybe a return to form for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010
    I suspect that won't please many people though, esp. with the inevitable comparison to what would have been with Corigliano smile
  6. Which is a pity. That said, I hope that Corigliano's rejected work will get released. I've heard that they asked Corigliano to do rewritess after the movie was re-edited, but he simply refused to do that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    I suspect that won't please many people though, esp. with the inevitable comparison to what would have been with Corigliano smile

For some reason, that statement makes me laugh.
  8. One mode I wouldn't mind hearing Shore go back to is the dark, atonal jazz of THE GAME. That was a very interesting score, I felt.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Me too. It's a bit like saying just because it's Corigliano it'll be an awesome score. Shore holds his own against Corigliano no problem IMO, as a film composer it's Shore with the vast experience.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I don't know. Shore's music can often be great for a film, and fall flat away from it. Also, we tend to know what he can do for a film, and if as Alan suggests, it's a return to old ideas that makes EDGE OF DARKNESS good, there's even less reason to be interested in it. At least with Corigliano - having only 3 scores under his belt to date - when he comes to a film, the scoring tends to have a different feeling to what we've heard before. And when you've had to hold your music up to the sort of scrutiny a classical composer does, you don't take the easier route in orchestrations that many film composers do, knowing that their music won't be heard that closely through the sound design anyway.

In the case of Corigliano, the added reason for being dismayed at the composer replacement was that it accompanied a shift in the tone of the film away from the source material and towards typical revenge fantasy stuff like TAKEN. I want to see the film they were trying to make, and hear music that was a part of that. It's hard to care much about the film they seem to want to make.

(NOTE: HEAVY SPOILERS)

...the reason I was asked to do this film is because it wasn't a "shoot–em–up" film – it wasn't an action film. It was a film about a man who in the first four minutes watched his daughter being shot – there was all this mourning, and horror, and sorrow, and loneliness – because he was divorced from his wife. Eventually, he finds out that his daughter was shot not by people who were trying to shoot him – which is what he thought at first – but in fact by people who wanted her dead because she was working in this illegal government–sponsored facility, and she was going to blow the whistle. So, he investigates, and as a result he too is killed. Throughout the film, his daughter kept coming back to him as a vision, and in the end the two of them walk off together. So, they wanted a film that pointed out the poignancy of the relationship, rather than a high action film, and I wrote the score for that.

But Warner Bros. wanted another film. So, they shot more sequences of guns and car chases and battles, and [film composer] Howard Shore raced into the vacuum and wrote the score. So, it's going to be Howard Shore's version of Edge of Darkness that you'll see. And mine is destroyed because I don't own the copyright, so therefore it is at this point a non–existent score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Me too. It's a bit like saying just because it's Corigliano it'll be an awesome score. Shore holds his own against Corigliano no problem IMO, as a film composer it's Shore with the vast experience.

He is. His snoozy textures aren't that interesting however. See the last 2-3 years for example.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

He is. His snoozy textures aren't that interesting however. See the last 2-3 years for example.

Well, it's what the film makers want.

p.s. I like what Michael had to say above
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Christodoulides wrote
    His snoozy textures aren't that interesting however. See the last 2-3 years for example.

From what I've heard of his last couple of year's worth of scores (even I wasn't interested in these much), Edge of Darkness is quite different.

I'm not sure that Shore's delivered a score for a "high action film" (thought there are nods in that direction.) Maybe Corigliano delivered a score that was too "high brow" for the film makers (but that doesn't make it any better).

Statements such as "...pointed out the poignancy of the relationship..." and "...mourning, and horror, and sorrow, and loneliness..." seems to me to be the sort of thing that Howard Shore was doing in spades a few years ago. If that's what they want and there's someone around who can give the film makers that then why not go straight to that composer?

We can't expect a composer to drop a part of their own style for a specific type of movie to come up with something original - especially when the film makers specifically want that style of score.

Admittedly, I'm a big fan of Shore's work and a return to what he does best isn't "even less reason to be interested" but, rather, a chance to hear a variation (and hopefully an expansion) on a theme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010 edited
    I agree with Michael too. Whatever Corigliano was preparing for the film, could be less favourable to the most i imagine, but would certainly be more interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    His snoozy textures aren't that interesting however. See the last 2-3 years for example.

From what I've heard of his last couple of year's worth of scores (even I wasn't interested in these much), Edge of Darkness is quite different.

That's good to know...looking forward to it.
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That's good to know...looking forward to it.

I'm interested so hear what you think.
  12. Christodoulides wrote
    I agree with Michael too. Whatever Corigliano was preparing for the film, could be less favourable to the most i imagine, but would certainly be more interesting.

Well it's so rare, you know. We've now had a full decade without one of his scores. It used to be we'd get one a decade on average.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's sad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a real shame we probably won't get to hear Corigliano's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    It's a real shame we probably won't get to hear Corigliano's score.

Well, I guess that depends on Warner Bros., who now owns the rights and sits on the Slatkin/LSO recording. We can always hope.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. I thought it was time for another composer update: This Time Howard Shore

- Looking for Richard
    - LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring
    - LOTR: The Two Towers
    - LOTR: The Return of the King
    - Soul of the Ultimate Nation

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010
    I had been waiting for your RoTK Complete Recordings review ever since it was released. Bravo! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It is the conclusion that captured all our hearts and made it a legendary never to forget experience

I think you wrongly assume that everyone loves the movies as much as you do, Thomas! tongue

I could take 'em of leave 'em to be honest, it's the scores I care about.
  14. I've a great deal of admiration for someone who can condense down the complete recordings listening experience into a meaningful review. Thanks, Thomas!

Although, even as a fan of both the music and the films, I can't agree with the 5-stars for them all. In fact, I don't think I have even now listened to them all the way through.

Of the new Shore titles reviewed it's Looking For Richard that would get a 5-star rating from me. Shore at his best. I seem to remember reading the liner notes for this and it saying that Shore actually wrote the music based upon the characters in the play rather than to the visuals. The music was then tracked into the film: and most of the music is tracked into the portions of the film where scenes of the play are enacted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited
    Looking for Richard gets 5 stars for me as well. Indeed, as Alan said, it wasn't scored against the film, which gives the score a feel of a great symphony.

I'm sorry to say I don't agree with the review at all. It's too bad people keep comparing this with The Lord of the Rings (which leads people to think he can only do that sound very well, and attracts the wrong crowd), while the only similarity it has with that trilogy are the use of big orchestra and relying heavily on the vocals. However, the writing style of the score itself couldn't be more different. While Lord of the Rings is lush, colourfull and highly thematic, Looking for Richard is not. It's grand, bold and majestic in a religious way LotR doesn't have, also because of the presence of the church organ. As you do point out: expect themes and you will be disappointed.

It's loud, yet also 'slow' in a way and not an easy listen, almost with a certain Medieval writing and tone. It is certainly not adventurous nor fantastical. This makes it completely different than LotR in feel, sound and style and starkly sets it apart as another great work from Shore. While I was reminded later in Shore's career of that Ring sound, somewhat bothered by it, this never does that to me.
  15. BobdH wrote
    ...gives the score a feel of a great symphony.

That's a good way of thinking of it. Damn, I wish I had have thought of that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Haha, you can always say you thought of it yourself. I hereby give you the copyrights!