• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Jim Ware wrote
    Glad that Se7en has escaped the quagmire that was holding up the release! It's a fascinating and complex score.

Hopefully the escape hasn't meant that there has been any compromises made in order to secure this release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yes, it is a "representative score release" for those who just want a snapshot release that doesn't represent the breadth of musical ideas Shore had for the score.

I think it represents most, if not all of his ideas succinctly and elegantly (REpresent is different from present). That's not to say an expansion isn't warranted (I am no particular fan of the score -- even if I adore the film -- and probably don't know it as indepth as the fans), but it needs to be pointed out. I wasn't really criticizing your statement, Alan, but it's a 'symptom' I see so many places these days; an expansion is almost automatically hailed as the first-ever release of an album ("Finally [x] is released!"), as if the first OST never existed in the first place, even in cases where the OST was a regular score release. It's rather baffling to me.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    I think a 20-minute selection certainly qualifies as a representative score release

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    I think a 20-minute selection certainly qualifies as a representative score release

lol

Do you have anything to offer beyond laughs to counter why it is not? Again, representation isn't measured by the quantity of music, but how well -- you know -- it REpresents the music in the film as a whole. One needs to ask questions like 1) how much music in there in the film in total? and 2) is there significant thematic and/or 'setpiece' music not represented in those 20 minutes? 3) If so, does that unreleased music offer anything to the listening experience beyond what is already there? Stuff like that. Again, an expansion may very well be warranted in this case, but that doesn't automatically discount those original 20 minutes.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. In case of a soundtrack like Se7en (which I never heard outside of the film and I'm very interested in the expansion itself, because I don't remember if the bootleg had a good quality) is it more about being representative of the score as heard in film in terms of (kinda) structure, (definitely) mood and setpieces or about fitting in with everything else on the album?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    In case of a soundtrack like Se7en (which I never heard outside of the film and I'm very interested in the expansion itself, because I don't remember if the bootleg had a good quality) is it more about being representative of the score as heard in film in terms of (kinda) structure, (definitely) mood and setpieces or about fitting in with everything else on the album?

Well, you know me. I'm in the latter category. But it doesn't have to be either/or. You can have a score that is representative of the score in the movie AND fit in with everything else on the album (most albums of yesteryear were exactly that). My contention was only that in this case, the fact that an expansion may or may not be warranted doesn't negate the argument that the original 20 minutes were fairly representative of the score as a whole.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Well, people who know the film almost by heart and do love the score pretty much know what is missing, I think.

And if the concern of the album producers was mostly to fit the score between the songs, then the representative aspect of the score may suffer over coherency of the overall material. Se7en is one of the seminal works in Shore's career, so I do understand that a full-score release would be for many people the definitive edition. This also has to do with it being a memory of the film itself and many other aspects that go into consideration into "what's missing" in terms of cues and all that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Thor wrote
    2) is there significant thematic and/or 'setpiece' music not represented in those 20 minutes? 3) If so, does that unreleased music offer anything to the listening experience beyond what is already there? Stuff like that. Again, an expansion may very well be warranted in this case, but that doesn't automatically discount those original 20 minutes.

Only a rare few scores can be adequately represented by 20 minutes - particularly monothematic ones or ones that aren't so very long to begin with - so 2 and 3 would be the case for about 98% of scores were they to be forced into the iron corset that is a 20-minute album. That kind of "representation" is better suited to compilations than actual albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, people who know the film almost by heart and do love the score pretty much know what is missing, I think.

And if the concern of the album producers was mostly to fit the score between the songs, then the representative aspect of the score may suffer over coherency of the overall material. Se7en is one of the seminal works in Shore's career, so I do understand that a full-score release would be for many people the definitive edition. This also has to do with it being a memory of the film itself and many other aspects that go into consideration into "what's missing" in terms of cues and all that.

Well, the two score tracks on the original album were put at the end, so they didn't really have to "fit in" the songs otherwise.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. When you're me and you're researching information, you sometimes stumble upon something you weren't even looking for. And that's exactly what I did here -- unearth something I bet not a single one of you knew:

In an old issue of the magazine Cinefantastique, composer John van tongeren says Howard Shore recorded a theme for the 1990's "The Outer Limits" series, but the producers didn't like it and dumped it.

He said he heard it, said it was very good, and studied over it a couple days because they wanted to see if Tongeren could add anything to it.

"He did a tipping of the hat of the old style sound with an orchestra. Ultimately, the
    producers at MGM felt they needed a more modern sound."

Well, there you go -- some Shore goodness we have yet to hear. He didn't say if Shore was also engaged to score the pilot.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2016 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Jim Ware wrote
    Glad that Se7en has escaped the quagmire that was holding up the release! It's a fascinating and complex score.

Hopefully the escape hasn't meant that there has been any compromises made in order to secure this release.

Not as far as I can tell. It sounds great - a big improvement on the old bootleg.

1. The Last Seven Days (2:14)
    2. Gluttony (5:44)
    3. Linoleum (2:24)
    4. Somerset (1:04)
    5. Greed (3:39)
    6. Mrs. Mills (1:05)
    7. Help Me (3:31)
    8. Sloth (5:29)
    9. Library (2:19)
    10. John Doe (6:02)
    11. Apartment #604 (4:15)
    12. Lust (3:52)
    13. Pride (4:01)
    14. The Wire (3:15)
    15. Envy (7:09)
    16. Wrath (5:16)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2016
    Don't like the score, but great, minimalist track titles.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Jim Ware wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

Not as far as I can tell. It sounds great - a big improvement on the old bootleg.

1. The Last Seven Days (2:14)
    2. Gluttony (5:44)
    3. Linoleum (2:24)
    4. Somerset (1:04)
    5. Greed (3:39)
    6. Mrs. Mills (1:05)
    7. Help Me (3:31)
    8. Sloth (5:29)
    9. Library (2:19)
    10. John Doe (6:02)
    11. Apartment #604 (4:15)
    12. Lust (3:52)
    13. Pride (4:01)
    14. The Wire (3:15)
    15. Envy (7:09)
    16. Wrath (5:16)

I want it. Now!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Thor wrote
    Don't like the score, but great, minimalist track titles.

Yeah, that's pretty typical of Shore when he's not quoting Tolkien chapter titles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2016
    Morning all!

Following on from the recent release of A Palace Upon the Ruins, on January 13th 2017 Howe Records and Sony Classical will be releasing Howard Shore's piano concerto Ruin and Memory and cello concerto Mythic Gardens.

Music Box Records
    Amazon UK

Ruin and Memory was recorded at the premiere in 2010, performed by the China Philharmonic and Lang Lang, conducted by Long Yu.

Mythic Gardens was recorded in April 2014 at the KKL in Luzern, performed by the 21st Century Chamber Orchestra conducted by Ludwig Wicki.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Jim Ware wrote
    Morning all!

Following on from the recent release of A Palace Upon the Ruins, on January 13th 2017 Howe Records and Sony Classical will be releasing Howard Shore's piano concerto Ruin and Memory and cello concerto Mythic Gardens.

Music Box Records
    Amazon UK

Ruin and Memory was recorded at the premiere in 2010, performed by the China Philharmonic and Lang Lang, conducted by Long Yu.

Mythic Gardens was recorded in April 2014 at the KKL in Luzern, performed by the 21st Century Chamber Orchestra conducted by Ludwig Wicki.

Can't wait!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not too thrilled with MYTHIC GARDENS. I already have it as a radio broadcast (alongside works by Williams, Goldenthal and Horner), and for me it fell into some of those traps that made me dislike Shore severely at one point in time (the Cronenberg drones or dark gratuity). I'm more open to him now, especially post-LOTR, but this one didn't really grab me. Maybe I should re-listen.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2016
    Thor wrote
    Not too thrilled with MYTHIC GARDENS. I already have it as a radio broadcast (alongside works by Williams, Goldenthal and Horner), and for me it fell into some of those traps that made me dislike Shore severely at one point in time (the Cronenberg drones or dark gratuity). I'm more open to him now, especially post-LOTR, but this one didn't really grab me. Maybe I should re-listen.

The Luzern performance on this album is a considerable improvement on the BBC recording.
  9. I was thinking about Howard Shore today while listening to the Two Towers and just was marveling how those films didn't catapult him into super-status, doing more fantasy, epic action scores, even comic book scores since that's all they're making these days. smile It seems like he's just done some sleepy dramas since then, and they seem to be mediocre (though I haven't heard any of his recent works, the reviews don't look that glowing). His LOTR trilogy is just SO amazing!!! I was just feeling bummed that he hasn't been doing that much since.
  10. I believe the Shore is rather art oriented and that his Lord of the Rings / Hobbit encounter into mainstream blockbuster Hollywood was an exception from that rule. He probably didn't want to diminish the work he has done for Middle-Earth by proliferating that style into other franchises.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I was thinking about Howard Shore today while listening to the Two Towers and just was marveling how those films didn't catapult him into super-status, doing more fantasy, epic action scores, even comic book scores since that's all they're making these days. smile It seems like he's just done some sleepy dramas since then, and they seem to be mediocre (though I haven't heard any of his recent works, the reviews don't look that glowing). His LOTR trilogy is just SO amazing!!! I was just feeling bummed that he hasn't been doing that much since.

Beg, borrow, steal, and then ultimately buy Soul of the Ultimate Nation which was written for a videogame in 2004, Essentially it's LOTR lite but still absolutely worth it as it's over an hour of Shore memorably strutting his stuff and with an AMAZING final cue.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I was thinking about Howard Shore today while listening to the Two Towers and just was marveling how those films didn't catapult him into super-status, doing more fantasy, epic action scores, even comic book scores since that's all they're making these days. smile It seems like he's just done some sleepy dramas since then, and they seem to be mediocre (though I haven't heard any of his recent works, the reviews don't look that glowing). His LOTR trilogy is just SO amazing!!! I was just feeling bummed that he hasn't been doing that much since.

I love the LOTR scores as much as you, but I'm really happy that Shore has focussed his attention elsewhere after that. You could clearly hear in the abysmal HOBBIT scores that most of the 'fantasy' inspiration had left him. I've always been critical of Shore (especially in Cronenberg mode), but I've thoroughly enjoyed a couple of scores he's done post-LOTR, in a more ambient mode, like ROSEWATER and MAPS TO THE STARS.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. An Unexpected Journey is fantastic and has a lot of the LOTR trademarks I love so much. Even if it has that infectious theme not composed by him.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  13. Already with the Lord of the Rings scores Shore welcomed contributions of other artists. That doesn't lessen his own achievements one bit.

Volker
  14. There's a big difference between inviting other artists to write the odd source cue here and there, and having them pen what is essentially the main theme of the score. But yes, he does make it his own.
  15. What Enya did for Fellowship is hardly the odd source cue.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017
    I'm not a big fan of the Hobbit scores but I'm more of the belief that the movies conquered Shore as opposed to the inspiration not being there. The highlights are still very strong.
  16. Captain Future wrote
    What Enya did for Fellowship is hardly the odd source cue.

That was still only used in one scene and never carried over into the rest of the score. I do take your point though.
  17. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    What Enya did for Fellowship is hardly the odd source cue.

That was still only used in one scene and never carried over into the rest of the score. I do take your point though.

I have to say, I was thinking about the album rather than the film. I agree concerning the latter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017
    Jim Ware wrote
    Morning all!

Music Box Records
    Amazon UK

This is just superb!