• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Linux? Is that him out of Charlie Brown?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Yeah, he'x the one with the xecurity blanket and xixter Lucy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    Yeah, he'x the one with the xecurity blanket and xixter Lucy.

xxx...hut up!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm a n00b on Linux. But with the lssons and some assignments at school, we work in Debian, command console. Never tried an actually grafical interface with Linux. Perhaps when I'm in the mood, I'll install Ubuntu on my old laptop.
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    I'm a n00b on Linux. But with the lssons and some assignments at school, we work in Debian, command console. Never tried an actually grafical interface with Linux. Perhaps when I'm in the mood, I'll install Ubuntu on my old laptop.

Martijn and I try and introduce an air of humour into this thread and what do you go and do Bregt? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Update: didn't quite like Mint Linux......it looks too Windows wink But i was glad to have it working through USB alright although it didn't save my changes when i rebooted! It was kinda read-only thingy.....anyway, will try to get UBUNTU to work from usb again 'cause it seems it's the best there's out there now and has the best support. Any luck with that Talos?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    DID IT! WITH UBUNTU! CURRENTLY IN IT AND RUNNING IT FROM THE USB!

[WARNING] THIS IS ONLY FOR UBUNTU 7.10

FULL GUIDE AT: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28 … n-install/

Ubuntu® is registered trademark of Canonical ltd.
    WE OFFER NO WARRANTY REGARDING THE INFORMATION PROVIDED, AND DISCLAIM LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ITS USE!

Here's what i did.

(the guide found here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28 … n-install/ with some addition i found in another website, i did combinations and finally found it! The additions are noted in red color)

1- MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE LATEST UBUNTU from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    2- BURN THE ISO IMAGE ON A CD BUT DON'T USE VERY HIGH SPEEDS. I'D SAY 4X IS THE BEST
    3- RESTART THE COMPUTER AND BOOT FROM THE UBUNTU CD
    4-GO TO "APPLICATIONS-->ACCESSORIES-->TERMINAL"
    5-MAKE SURE YOU'RE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, ETHERNET MODEM IS THE BEST SOLUTION

1. Grab the Ubuntu 7.10 ISO and burn it to a CD
    2. Insert the CD and your USB flash drive
    3. Reboot your computer into Ubuntu from the Live CD
    4. Open a terminal window and type sudo su
    5. Type fdisk -l to list available drives/partitions. Note which device is your flash drive (example: /dev/sda) Throughout this tutorial, replace x with your flash drive letter. For example, if your flash drive is sdb, replace x with b.
    6. Type umount /dev/sdx1
    7. Type fdisk /dev/sdx
    * type p to show the existing partition and d to delete it
    * type p again to show any remaining partitions (if partitions exist, repeat the previous step)
    * type n to make a new partition
    * type p for primary partition
    * type 1 to make this the first partition
    * hit enter to use the default 1st cylinder
    * type +750M to set the partition size
    * type a to make this partition active
    * type 1 to select partition 1
    * type t to change the partition filesystem
    * type 6 to select the fat16 file system
    * type n to make another new partition
    * type p for primary partition
    * type 2 to make this the second partition
    * hit enter to use the default cylinder
    * hit enter again to use the default last cylinder
    * type t to change the partition filesystem
    * type e to select the fat16 W95 file system

* type w to write the new partition table
    8. Type umount /dev/sdx1 to ensure the 1st partition is unmounted
    9. Type mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n ubuntu710 /dev/sdx1 to format the first partition
    10. Type umount /dev/sdx2 just to ensure the 2nd partition is unmounted
    11. Type mkfs.ext2 -b 4096 -L casper-rw /dev/sdx2 to format the second partition
    12. Remove and Re-insert your flash drive
    13. Back at the terminal, type apt-get update
    14. Type apt-get install syslinux mtools
    15. Type syslinux -sf /dev/sdx1
    16. Type cd /cdrom
    17. Type cp -rf casper disctree dists install pics pool preseed .disk isolinux/* md5sum.txt README.diskdefines ubuntu.ico casper/vmlinuz casper/initrd.gz /media/ubuntu710/

Ignore any "cannot create symbolic link" errors

18. Type cd /home/ubuntu
    19. Type wget pendrivelinux.com/downloads/U710fix.zip
    20. Type unzip -o -d /media/ubuntu710/ U710fix.zip
    21. Restart your computer, set your BIOS or Boot menu to boot from the USB device and reboot again.

You should now have a USB Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon flash drive that should automatically save your changes, restoring them on boot.

Note: If your having trouble getting Ubuntu to boot, your memory stick may have a corrupted MBR. To repair the MBR of your USB device, at the terminal type sudo apt-get install lilo then type lilo -M /dev/sdx (replacing x with the letter of your flash device)

It's a very detailed process, if you miss one thingy it won't work so be sure you are focused when you're doing it! I hope it works for you too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    Wow! Now I am the Noob, great to hear you figured it out... I will try it later today. (my wife has to go online now... when she is done I will try your instructions as mentioned above!) Really cool that you have that great never give up attitude my friend! So does it work, saving stuff and such?
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    Tadaa, it works now for me too, i am typing this while running ubuntu from my shiny new 2gb usb stick.. neat! I followed your instructions except the red instructions. But it worked now, boots quite fast... 2 minutes or so... now I am going to check if i can save settings and such. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007 edited
    Mate, can you install updates and software on the usb?!? I can't sad It finds all the software necessary for the update and all but i get a "can't create the "x" folder" error or something which i suppose has to do with administrative rights and such? Are you working with the terminal thingy? I used "sudo" commands as well under which i'm supposed to log in with administrative rights and linux must ask for my password but that doesn't happen, it won't cause any difference and i can't install any new software. I don't know sad if you figure it out please let me know......are you logged in as "root" or did you create a new user account?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007 edited
    I experienced the same here... I guess because its a live cd/usb, you are root at all times or something. Because I also used sudo commands, and it never asks me for a password. If you install normally on a harddisk, you must make a password during the install, which you have to enter as soon as you use sudo. But on this live option it seems that that is not the case. I tried to change my wallpaper, but that didn't work. I didn't have the chance to check if it saved any changes because I screwed up several settings, so when I rebooted the usb install was broken... argh... I will make a new usb install later on. But I am planning to buy one of those portable harddrives that have those high storage amounts and many GB (the real mechanical ones, not flash usb) then I am pretty sure everything will work, because then it is a normal install and all things will be saved easily, just like a normal harddisk. (the only thing here is that these harddrives are a bit expensive)

This is the guide, seems to be very simple. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/11/13 … /#more-253

Like I said, don't give up... for I personally always like to learn while making errors. See how far you already came so far... linux install on a usb stick within a few days! That's quite a accomplishment for a total linux newbie don't you think? Can you image how much we will learn if we continue experimenting with it?! When I saw those youtube clips, showing off linux with all these fancy things, I thought, "wow, I wish I could makes such an install/configuration..." a few days later I had the same setup and perhaps even better! That gave a great feeling!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    Just was reading this: (read through all the post to get a clearer idea)... the saving issue should be solved then because it is just a regular install.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-482113.html

However the price of 8GB usb sticks is very expensive, almost the same as an external portable harddisk with a capacity of 80GB.

I guess I go out now, visiting a shopping mall see what the prices are... hehe. Nothing better to do... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talos wrote
    I tried to change my wallpaper, but that didn't work.

You must be connected to the internet before you change wallpapers and themes. I had the same until i connected, all works wonders and it saves my changes too but i can't get it to save any updates and additional software. I have 2 external HDD's now, i might try to install on one of those. Do you know how much space in GB will it eat up once installed on external usb hdd?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Alltogether bit more than 3gb I guess. (with some swap space included) btw you can also make a dual boot. So when the pc boots you can select the OS. You will even be able to access your window drives and saving/editing files directly from the windows drives. I did that with my pc. So I can still play window games and run specific software occassionally. But my laptop is 100% ubuntu linux. Creating a dual boot is not too difficult, but honestly a bit scary to do. (working with new partitions and such)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i am afraid to that too, partitioning the very HDD i have my windows and stuff on. We'll see, it's tough for sure but it's simultaneously very challenging for that reason wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Just to get that real wow! feeling... (you can do this running from the live cd, but as you know it will not be saved, but it it easy and fast to do and it will show you the real nice 3d stuff, not the standard 3d stuff) Beware it will screw up your usb persistant install, so only do this on a real/normal install or while running live cd/usb non persistant.

This will only work if some of the 3d effects already are automatically enabled (that means ubuntu linux recognized your graphic card), you can check that by closing any window, it should show some sliding effect. If that is the case then go ahead and follow the following steps.

Make sure you are connected to the internet... smile

1) Go to the admin section, scroll down to software sources, (I am not behind an ubuntu linux pc right now, so I am not 100 % sure about the exact location, but it should be there somewhere) Select it.

2) Then tick all source boxes, you will now have enabled all available sources. It will then update some stuff automatically.

3) Then you to synaptic (the extensive add/remove programs option, which is not the standard one "add/remove" section. You will notice the difference the synaptic add remove has many more programs and it doesn't show program icons. Synaptic should be somewhere down in the admin menu.

4) Scroll in synaptic all the way down till you will find "compiz setting manager", click only this box. Click ok or something and it will install. Now you will have an extensive compiz settings manager in your menu.

5) Play around and have fun, I would like to suggest to enable all options with the cube first, simply tick the boxes. Then go to the right lower corner on your desktop where you will see the desktop switcher (those two boxes) right click and change to 4 desktops... and then... press ctrl and alt together and then... hold the left mouse button and move the cube! Fun! (or simply press the mouse scroll button and move with your mouse. Play around with all other settings available, the animation settings are fun too, especially the "magic lamp" setting.

I could change all the setting perfectly while running from the usb, however upon rebooting the usb install was screwed. Guess you can't install this stuff on an usb stick... at least not at this moment.. I will try to figure it out later on.

Have fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, i've done these things. What i am currently trying to do is find ways of actually installing the LINUX on the usb directly, if possible, as if it where a regular hard disk. 'Cause as it is, i.e. like a live version of the CD booting, i can't do a lot with it and it bothers me. I want to be able to - at least - save appearance changes such as backgrounds, themes and such (the 3d effects are very cool and WAY nicer than Vista's "aero") but most importantly be able to download a program or two. Have you had the luck of finding such a way / guide?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    yes, this one...

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/11/13 … /#more-253

I want to do the same, but i am still searching for an affordable usb harddisk, and I still have to figure out of my old pc has usb boot option available, otherwise no such luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can we just ignore the 8+ gb sized usb and try it on ours? I just can't spend so much for a usb flash disk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    Hmm... I think the full install will need more than ours... and the pendrivelinux site mentions this:

"Notes: Do be forewarned that this is a full installation (not a compressed Squashfs install) so you don't want to do this on a USB flash pen drive. Only an external USB or Firewire drive with a rotating platter.
    Full install Prerequisites:

* 8 GB + USB hard drive (note "rotating platter" we aren't talking about a flash drive here)"

and even IF its possible to install it onto a 8 GB stick, its way too expensive.

May I know what programs you need windows for? Just curious. Indeed this becomes too expensive, for the cheapest 80 GB external usb drive I found in a shop was around 40 euros. Or... you try to dig up a second hand pc for a small amount of money. (but before buying first run the live cd on it and see if it is linux compatible) Remember no pressure, just have fun with it. Sooner or later it will work out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    Have a look at this dual install tutorial clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfl3oViny8

As you can see, its easy. (use at your own risk though, but it should work, 99.99%)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    I have been playing around with the original pendrive linux install, this one works fine, but didn't try to install Compiz yet, but all other things can be installed without any problems. It saves things nicely to, although this is no ubuntu but debian linux. (which is the 'father' of ubuntu linux)

Its no way the same or as slick looking as ubuntu, but I did tinker a bit with the wallpaper, and skins/icons... and this is the result. Its slick and black. (you have to change the original settings of this pendrivelinux install, because the original settings are horrid.) I'll keep this one on my usb stick for a while, till the there will be a better ubuntu usb install available in the future.

[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8874/screenshotea6.th.png[/IMG]
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Were you able to install updates to? (Debian Linux)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    yes, I also installed many packages/programs without any problem. It will all be saved as normal. However, like I said this one is just "handy"... but pretty basic. If you really would like to try linux with all its bling and full features, you still have to stick with a full ubuntu install. I am pretty sure that running compiz from an usb will not run smoothly or not at all. (assuming its possible to install compiz, but it should for I can install everything on this pendrivelinux install) its VERY simple to make this usb install too. Check out the pendrivelinux website http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/19 … rivelinux/

Again this pendrivelinux version is just soso. You have to tinker a lot to make it look a bit better. The handy thing about this version is that you don't have to reboot or boot your windows pc. Just plug you usb in a running window machine and it will run within an emulator. Very easy. But you must have a bit powerful pc otherwise booting will take quite long. But I can boot it within 2 minutes. Don't aspect the polished look of ubuntu, (default icons and look is lame/sloppy, but the underlying linux version Debian is very solid) It is just for fun.

You can change some icons by going to http://art.gnome.org/ and check out the themes and icons. Download them and draw it into the theme manager which you will find in the menu.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    So i guess this method here that you talk about (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/19 … rivelinux/) is only done through Windows? No option to restart and boot from it then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    That is correct, there is no need to boot/reboot, just put the usb stick in a running windows machine. (that is quite handy because some pc's cannot boot from usb) You windows pc will recognize the usb stick, you browse to the stick open the folder on the stick as usual, and in it there will be a "launch" file, press the "lauch" file and linux will start to boot in a separate window, the window can be blown up to full screen with "ctrl-alt F", I do this at work and a flip between windows and linux with Alt-Tab. Again don't expect to much, it doesn't look as good as ubuntu... but with some effort you might be able to tweak it to your liking. When you want to quit running linux, simply click shut down... and WAIT till the window closes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet, thanks a lot Talos, I greatly appreciate all your updates and time spent!

I'll check that out too although to be honest, the idea of just browsing through LINUX in windows' environment doesn't really do that much to me, it's just to preview the O.S. basically - from what i understand, since you're still running windows.

I know the partition of the hard disk option and a full linux install on one of the 2 is the best idea but for now, i'm too buried into work i have to deliver and it's crucial that my Adobe Premiere, Avid and audio software like Magix Samplitude / Sequoia or Adobe Audition 2.0 work wonders for the time being, stuff that i don't think will be functioning in LINUX. Same goes for FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004 (that's to roughly answer your question the other day on why exactly do i need to have Windows; i wish i didn't have to rely on them but for the time being, i do).

I was more eager to find a way to operate LINUX normally, be able to do updates and all but while running it from a USB stick, without the need to do drastic changes on the system, for the time being but i guess (and it's logical) that can't be done; at least not entirely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    I get your point and you are right. Did you have a look at the "how to install dual boot" youtube clip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfl3oViny8

That doesn't look too hard, doesn't it? But then again, proceed on your own risk... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007 edited
    "I was more eager to find a way to operate LINUX normally, be able to do updates and all but while running it from a USB stick, without the need to do drastic changes on the system, for the time being but i guess (and it's logical) that can't be done; at least not entirely."

Tadaa, I have found something that I think you might find very interesting (based on what you had written above):

http://wubi-installer.org/

Just install this program in XP and follow the VERY simple instructions, no messing around with partitions and such. If you don't like it (linux), you can simply uninstall it. (its just like regular install/uninstall in XP) Its a fully functional full linux install, no emulator. I tried it on my pc at work and it works wonderful. After the install you will have a dual boot system, which means you can choose during booting which OS to run. If you don't like it you can just uninstall it and you will have your normal boot setup back. (I tried this and it all works) I had another look at your desktop screenshot and I think you will like the multi media flavor of Ubuntu, called Ubuntu Studio. (its just the latest ubuntu version with a dark theme and it has all kinds of multimedia stuff preinstalled) You can select it in WUBI as well. Anyway, its up to you which flavor you choose, have fun!

http://ubuntustudio.org/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007
    Thanks mate! You went into a lot of trouble, thanks a lot! Will try it out as soon as i can! smile