• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    Talos. , my man! I saw you posting and was reminded of this:

I want to install Ubuntu Studio permanently on my computer but i've got some questions:

I downloaded and installed 9.0.4 and it doesn't support my asus usb wireless internet adapter (despite the fact that the UBUNTU kernel of the same version does) so no internet, no nothing, no drivers etc etc. Are there any plans for Ubuntu Studio to follow the rest of the ubuntu updates and gets a release as 9.10 as well, soon? And if yes, when will the be and where can i find a list with the hardware that its Kernel will support? Plus, what's happening with Ubuntu Studio and other external devices? Say, i have an M-AUDIO PROFIRE 2626 external audio interface, will i be able to use it in a future Studio stable release?

Thanks!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    You're still on 9.0.4? Haha! Get yourself the beta of 9.0.4.1 - though, needless to say, you can only run it in Fedware mode if you enable your Stenoscopic Converter and link that to your RBS nodes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009 edited
    [noob] What?! confused [/noob] biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009
    Oh, i get it. Another Microsoft lover, and stranger hater.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009
    Ah, great to hear. What is the exact model of your usb wireless adaptor? Perhaps I can find a solution. Thanks.

Ubuntu Studio is mostly released a couple of months after the regular ubuntu release. They just tweak it a bit for the Studio release.

Personally I run now Linux Mint, that's a more polished/beautiful looking tweaked Ubuntu. Its popular too. Very nice. Seriously.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    You're still on 9.0.4? Haha! Get yourself the beta of 9.0.4.1 - though, needless to say, you can only run it in Fedware mode if you enable your Stenoscopic Converter and link that to your RBS nodes.

LOL! That was awesome, James!

For what it's worth, I've been a SuSe fan for a while now. I love the 11.1 version with KDE. The only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't recognize my external USB hard drive which I originally formatted with Windows. It puzzles me a bit that SuSe can read the Windows partition in the computer alright, but not the external USB drive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talos wrote
    Ah, great to hear. What is the exact model of your usb wireless adaptor? Perhaps I can find a solution. Thanks.

Ubuntu Studio is mostly released a couple of months after the regular ubuntu release. They just tweak it a bit for the Studio release.

Personally I run now Linux Mint, that's a more polished/beautiful looking tweaked Ubuntu. Its popular too. Very nice. Seriously.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    i know ubuntu studio isn't the best ubuntu out there but i need the audio, photo and video apps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009 edited
    Understood, but what is the exact model of your usb wireless adaptor? Perhaps I can find a solution. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009
    ASUS WL-167G V2 WL54 WIRELESS USB ADAPTER
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009 edited
    Follow these instructions... good luck. Let me know if it worked. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04hNlRf … re=related

Basically you will use the official windows driver for the card through a 'wrapper'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009
    Thanks, i'll try asap and let you know!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri … untustudio

There you go... Ubuntu Studio 9.10!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice! I hope it'll support my wireless usb adapter!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ungawa ungawa
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    confused <David Tennant> What? WHAT? WHAT? </Doctor Who>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ubuntu Ubuntu
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah, yes. I see.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009 edited
    ungawa ungawa sad cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The word "ungawa" which Indians (and occasionally cannibals or other indiginous folk) would utter as a greeting was (according to legend anyway) created by a group of writers at a studio in Hollywood, who lunched together at a bar on Gower Boulevard. They thought "on Gower" sounded just foreign enough to make into a native greeting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The word "galiangadoo" which natives of the Easter Islands frequently use on the third Friday of April is believed to originate from a surprising source. It is said that one day, a gathering of the now-extinct saliad birds in a forested area was noted by the locals to produce a sound which sounded very much like the ancient word "junardo" - but a transcription error meant that when this gathering was recorded in the traditional way, on idris monkeys' gonads, the native scribe sketched hasadic birds rather than the saliad. So incensed was the elephant matriach, she bellowed from dawn until dusk on sixteen successive days. Hence, the tribal chief shouted - for the first time - "galiangadoo". Its use by Sun Microsystems stems from the famous links between Sun's founder, Frank Wanker, with the former UN Secretary General Boutros Boutros Ghali - whose infamous visit to the Easter Islands in 1995 was greeted with condemnation throughout equatorial Africa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The phrase Boutros Boutros Ghali is in fact an insult to the native people of Potjepap in Belgium, which has been overrun by cheap Indian labour hoping to cash in on the Big Belgian Byte Boom. Sadly the boom was to do with a revolutionary way of chocolate making rather than computers so everyone remained unemployed and became fat instead.

To this day cows are held to be sacred in Potjepap, which is extremely galling to the Belgians who coined the phrase BOO-tros Boo-tros GALLING, which obviously quickly was corrupted to Boutros Boutros Ghali.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The word "ungawa" which Indians (and occasionally cannibals or other indiginous folk) would utter as a greeting was (according to legend anyway) created by a group of writers at a studio in Hollywood, who lunched together at a bar on Gower Boulevard. They thought "on Gower" sounded just foreign enough to make into a native greeting.

Ungawa
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Crap. And here i was happy seeing the replies, that my question actually got answered.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ubuntu Ubuntu
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Crap. And here i was happy seeing the replies, that my question actually got answered.

You lie.
    You did not pose a question.
    You will be henceforth and forever outcast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    So, Belgians are cannibals?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Boutros Boutros GHALI! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Me too, Chris... haha smile Anyway, another linux distro which is worth looking at is: openSUSE. Very sleek. 12 more days (as of this writing) and the newest version will be out.

http://www.opensuse.org/en/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What differences are there with openSUSE vs ubuntu?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall