• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    What differences are there with openSUSE vs ubuntu?

This blog gives a brief comparison but it's not up to date.
    I'd reckon that there's not much difference between most linux flavors (right?). I tried Ubuntu on my laptop and didn't like it. I changed to OpenSuse and I've been a fan ever since. If you have an old comp that you don't mind messing around with, just install them on it and see what you like the best.
    If I'm not mistaken, Ubuntu is primarily Gnome (the KDE version is Kubuntu). I prefer KDE and OpenSuse KDE is neat.

Installation in OpenSuse was a breeze-- the Yast partitioner was easy to use and it actually suggested a default partitioning (shrink windows, install suse on the remaining) that was exactly what I wanted.

I'm waiting for OpenSuse 11.2 that will release in a few days!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks.

Talos, any idea about this?

I downloaded ubuntu studio 9.10
    burned it on dvd all right
    restart and boot from it
    starting the installation ok
    installing on NEW, FRESH PARTITION of 50 GB - NOT FORMATED, UNLOCCATED, JUST "FREE SPACE" WHICH I FORMATTED AUTOMATICALLY BY THE LINUX SETUP UTILITY, i.e. it created the swap and ext portion itself. Everything goes well up until around 86% of the installation where it reads the following error:

UNABLE TO FINISH INSTALLATION (or something), REPORT THE FOLLOWING ERROR:

SETUP ERROR ON THIS STEP: select and install software (or something, anyway it's after i select the 4 additional 2d/3d/photo/video/sound programs from the installer that come with ubuntu, i press enter and it continues up to 86% then drops out.) Don't know why, happened to me all 3 times i tried to install it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009 edited
    hmm.. not sure but my guess is that it wants to download additional stuff for those programs you selected. Perhaps internet is not yet connected so it gives an error. Can you try to install first without selecting these extra programs. (write the names of those extra programs down, and download them afterwards, after the install is completed and you're connected to the internet. If that doesn't help, my guess is that perhaps you burned a faulty install cd. Perhaps try to burn a new one, and try again.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    This may be of use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctaszjeaDK0

uhm explode
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    This may be of use.

SCORCHIO! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    This may be of use.

SCORCHIO! biggrin

Boutros Boutros Ghali!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    whiskas full of meaty goodness!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    Talos wrote
    hmm.. not sure but my guess is that it wants to download additional stuff for those programs you selected. Perhaps internet is not yet connected so it gives an error. Can you try to install first without selecting these extra programs. (write the names of those extra programs down, and download them afterwards, after the install is completed and you're connected to the internet. If that doesn't help, my guess is that perhaps you burned a faulty install cd. Perhaps try to burn a new one, and try again.

Already tried downloading the disc and burning it again, i have 2 copies, it's the same error for both of them.

I guess it's the internet thing, it tries to connect and of course it can't 'cause i am on wireless and never figured how to set it up through the ubuntu studio setup procedure, i check the "don't set up internet connection right now" option. You're right, somewhere after this error i get the impression it was trying to connect to internet, that's why the error. I'll try what you suggested.....thanks man. beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.