• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    Thanks to Talos, i am now running from boot disc (without affecting my system's setup) UBUNTU LINUX and it's gorgeous!

www.ubuntu.com

I have some questions here Talos:

If i choose to add applications, will there be permanent changes to my system or will they be loaded in a virtual, ram driver or something?

I'd also be interested to know where can i get drivers for my system's devices

Thanks a lot, experimenting is so fun!

D
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    Thanks to Talos, i am now running from boot disc (without affecting my system's setup) UBUNTU LINUX and it's gorgeous!

www.ubuntu.com

I have some questions here Talos:

If i choose to add applications, will there be permanent changes to my system or will they be loaded in a virtual, ram driver or something?

Answer: I guess its something like that, although I was so impressed with it that I installed it right away. So I am not sure whether you can actually install programs while running a live cd. But I guess it can, like a temporary set up. Of course all settings will be lost. Did you find the add/remove option already, pretty nifty isn't it? Where you able to connect to the internet?

I'd also be interested to know where can i get drivers for my system's devices.

If you are lucky, all your devices will be recognized automatically by linux, so most likely you don't need to install drivers. If there are missing drivers or missing plugin, a pop up screen will notify you and an automatic install will be offered. But sometimes, you have to dive into forums (which are great btw) to ask for help. http://ubuntuforums.org/

Remember, don't give up. There are thousands of ppl out there willing to help.

As promised, hereby some more pics of my current desktop:

[IMG]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7365/screenshot15cs2.th.png[/IMG]

and with snow effect (i know its useless but fun though sometimes)
    [IMG]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8351/screenshot16yi5.th.png[/IMG]

The cube, which is useful to switch from one workspace to another.
    [IMG]http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4976/screenshot17sn7.th.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6736/screenshot18uc1.th.png[/IMG]

and here another workspace switcher, can drag windows from one workspace to another realtime.
    [IMG]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5420/screenshot19ak7.th.png[/IMG]

and finally, another look at the cube, as you can see you can make it transparant too, so you can see which windows are open at the other side. (on the pic i didn't have windows open though)
    [IMG]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5361/screenshot20oc0.th.png[/IMG]

Thanks a lot, experimenting is so fun!

Indeed have fun, but be careful with vista though, because it seems you can only install vista once or so, then it will be considered that you are pirating.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Thanks a lot Talos, i might turn by laptop pc into a LINUX one completely with an all-new format and all 'cause i've been hearing so much good stuff about it, we'll see. Yeah i was able to connect to the internet easily 'cause i have ethernet (lan) and it connected automatically anyway.

Thanks for all your help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Great to hear that, you can always ask me for help, and don't forget the link to the ubuntu forum! Please keep in mind that linux isn't windows, so sometimes there will be a minor learning curve and you can't have it exactly behave/look like ms windows, but I guess you know that. It is actually very user friendly. Let me know the progress... again have fun with it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is very user friendly indeed, i am surprised 'cause from what i've been listening, i though they'd be far more complex! Time will tell!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Just curious, where you able to activate the effects? Its under "apperance", if it doesn't work right away its because the driver for the graphic card isn't installed yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i hesitated installing anything, including graphics cards 'cause i need to know what happens first, if they go onto the hard drive or virtual drivers.

More importantly, i am trying to find what happens with emus. I might try them completely on my laptop with a new format and fresh install all right but there are some adobe softwares (for instance) i really need to be able to use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    D., you could always Ghost your laptop; that way, even if you completely bollix it up with Ubuntu, it's just a flick of a switch and you're back on track.

That's how I do my testing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What do you mean? shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh sorry. I've been using that program for so long now it's become like a regular verb to me. shame

Norton Ghost is a fantastic program that is able to copy a complete hard drive or a partition to a compressed "ghost"-file to be stored anywhere (DVD. CD, another partition). Not only is it a brilliant backup solution, but it's also very handy when you want to start experimenting with tools or drivers that you are unsure of, and want to make sure you are able to go back to a fully functional and stable operating system drive. Backing up and restoring is very intuitive and quite fast, and the added advantage over other forms of backup is that it doesn't selectively backs up certain files, but makes an image of the entire drive.

It's like the big, powerful daddy of the XP system restore option (even though that *actually* works quite differently)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Does it work on Vista too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    If you want to play around with linux, but don't want to install it yet, there is another option; install Ubuntu linux on a usb pendrive/stick. (just simply follow all the steps as mentioned here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28 … n-install/
    and here is even a how-to video...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drq1uLg-s7U

Now you can carry ubuntu linux everywhere you go, pop it in any pc that can boot from usb, play around and save your settings. Its basically the same as a live cd, but now you can save your stuff and settings. Talking about being mobile!

I am gonna to install it myself on a USB pendrive this evening, see how it works. Just bought a 2gb stick... guess it will be fun! Keep you informed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    of course this method is a bit experimental... but you can't mess up anything... since everything will be installed on your usb stick only. If it doesn't work, just wipe your usb stick... no problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's a neat solution indeed. What's the minimum size the flash disk must have in order to do so? I have a 1 gb one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Does it work on Vista too?

I dunno. Never tested it.
    But can't see why not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's a neat solution indeed. What's the minimum size the flash disk must have in order to do so? I have a 1 gb one.

should be fine... the iso file is 700 mb or something.. so 300 mb to save stuff on, should be enough. If it works you can still buy a bigger one, so you can carry your fav. movies and such with you, hehe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i am planning on getting a neat 4gb one soon. Will try that solution out now and see what happens. It seems the most appropriate one to run tests on and i gotta tell you (as you'd already know as an ubuntu user) that i REALLY, REALLY liked it, from the little i've seen. Small, simple, edgy and very cool looking, fast and easy on the system. Everything VISTA would ever wanted to be if it actually didn't totally suck. If i run the tests i want and can get my software to run onto that, i am SO ditching my original copy of Vista on the laptop eventually!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    the steps given in the link I mentioned are written in mumbo jumbo style.. but just copy paste like a robot. That's how I get things to work. I actually don't know what I am doing initially, hahaha... just like a zombie following the steps. No problem. I only am curious if it will actually work, saving the settings, effects and stuff. Like I said it will try it later this evening... look forward to it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Looking forward to your test results my friend, please report here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    hey you have an instant messenger program...? you can find me... hamsapsifu@hotmail.com

anyone else please feel free to add me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    YEah i have. What's your name again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    In case you would like to try it to, perhaps it doesn't really work the first time... like I said this is experimental stuff. But it should work eventually. (but it will be a bit slow since it runs from the stick, same as with the cd)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    i saw you added me, but you're offline
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i am leaving for the studio now, we'll talk later today. Thanks for all the info!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    adios
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Got me a shiny new 2gb flash disk and i'm off to experiment! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Talos, any luck? Got me a new 2gb flash usb disk and followed the guide you gave me but with no luck; it starts to boot from the usb but it returns an error in some file's line.sys" thingy, all 3 times. I am now going to try the same with LINUX MINT http://linuxmint.com/ and the guide found at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/category/n … tutorials/
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    The same here, followed the steps, finally restarted the pc, wanted to boot from the usb stick, but then it says that it can't find the linux kernel... bummer... later on I will try it again. Btw. linux mint looks pretty slick too. I tried that one myself as well (live cd) But I prefer ubuntu because it is easier to find help and such through the forums. Don't let this setback stop you... I told you the usb stuff is expirimental! hehe. However I did this in the past and then it worked... so I wonder why it doesn't work now... i will try again this evening. Perhaps I missed some steps... (there are so many steps to follow... phew) Keep you informed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the update. No, i won't give up easily, i like experimenting with such stuff! If you find a way to get UBUNTU to work on usb please let me know, waiting for updates! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talos,

I finally made it with LINUX MINT! i successfully created a good usb boot disc using the links l placed above and it runs very smoothly. I am not beginning testing it, primarily with my hardware, i don't think it detected all my devices all right and i'll need guidance from the forums for that. We'll see. For the time being, one obstacle passed and i'm happy.

Had any luck with Ubuntu yet?

wave