• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008 edited
    I thought it would be interesting to discuss what people look for in a score.

Do you prefer action, a score with a great theme, dramatic, comedy, or more ambient scores?
    Are there certain instruments you are more fond of? Do you prefer choir works?
    Do you seek out scores with a certain cultural or time period sound?
    Do you prefer a more symphonic or electronic sound?

What are you seeking when listening to a score? Just the music, relaxation, excitement, a different experience of the film?

You get the idea. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    I want to be moved. In all possible ways, according to my current mood each time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Wrote about it in my user info wink

Like Demetris said, I also look for a variety of emotions which I can play during different moods. But usually an essential component for becoming my favourite score is ACTION and DRAMATIC MUSIC biggrin And I also like a great choir wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I love when the music has an impact on me emotionally. I love when the music brings forth memories, pictures from my life; sometimes it's good when it brings forth certain scenes from the movie it accompanies. Therefore I prefer dramatic scores with an orchestra (and if there is a choir, all the better!) Sometimes when in the mood, a light comedy score can cause much joy too.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Personally, whenever I listen to a score I'm all about thematic material. For Example: Jerry Goldsmith's main themes with french horns... perfect. I enjoy both action and dramatic, but it depends on my mood. I think I lean more dramatic because it tends to use more themes. Perhaps this is because much of the action music today goes more for a rock sense and not a true thematic music sense. It all depends on the composer. I think Choral works can be extremely effective, though they can be overused at times. I would take an orchestra over electronics or synth. any day. I do enjoy it when some electronics are blended in with the orchestra. I'm a fan of all kinds of culture and time period sounds. I really enjoy African, British, Russian, American, and others. And I'm astonished with how certain music can just brighten your day or change your entire attitude. The power of music... cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Back in the heydays of my soundtrack collection, I used to concentrate on themes. Anything that had a theme was worth collecting, and scores that didn't have a theme were of little interest. But my taste has greatly changed since then.

Now my favourite moment when listening to a new score is that amazing feeling of familiarity I start to get after the 4th or 5th listening when melodic moments and themes I hadn't even noticed upon first listening start seeping in. That moment when I can start anticipating the music and follow along. Although I do have a sweet spot for action and ethnically-flavoured scores, truly any type of score has the potential to create that feeling of familiarity. When it happens, it reminds me why I started collecting film music in the first place. It reminds me of how I felt when I first discovered the Field of Dreams theme.

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. I love beautiful music. I'm not a fan of most action music. The exceptions being when someone incorporates their incredible main themes into the action music. I'm always glad to find dense orchestration. But mostly I just love gorgeous thematic orchestral music. There was a lot of that in the 90s it seems. Less of it now slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Can we say that Star Wars both opened and closed an era of leitmotiv-based film music? 1977 marked the start of that era, and 2005 was pretty much the decline. Most things inside this "Star Wars window" seemed to be following a strong thematic current.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Fun. Simple as.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Fun. Simple as.

Would you also extract fun out of a melancholic score for instance?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Fun. Simple as.

No, if that was the case I'd be looking for it to be as depressing as possible. Most of the time though, I'm just after stuff that's just overflowing with adrenaline fueled mayhem. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I look for everything in a score. That's why I like scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Fun. Simple as.

No, if that was the case I'd be looking for it to be as depressing as possible. Most of the time though, I'm just after stuff that's just overflowing with adrenaline fueled mayhem. wink

That's what i thought then. You're usually more after either animated scores or pure action mayhems. Right?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Fun. Simple as.

That's what i thought then. You're usually more after either animated scores or pure action mayhems. Right?

Yup. Action, adventure, animation, over the top-cheesy romance stuff and bizarre stuff that comes from the future (e.g. Bug).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

That sounds a bit vague, doesn't it? No specific styles, sub-genres?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    I love beautiful music. I'm not a fan of most action music. The exceptions being when someone incorporates their incredible main themes into the action music. I'm always glad to find dense orchestration. But mostly I just love gorgeous thematic orchestral music. There was a lot of that in the 90s it seems. Less of it now slant

Without a "hook" action music is just organised noise.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

That sounds a bit vague, doesn't it? No specific styles, sub-genres?

Damn, I was going for the deep philosophical approach. I failed apparently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote

I think us Elliot Goldenthal fans feel that "hook-less" organized noise can still be very, very engaging! But not everybody can pull it off like Goldenthal can.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think us Elliot Goldenthal fans feel that "hook-less" organized noise can still be very, very engaging! But not everybody can pull it off like Goldenthal can.

Goldenthal is in a different league full of awesome sound design and complex orchestrations and can write that kind of material without it sounding like an utter mess.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I agree, Goldenthal is the master of organized chaos. No wonder other guys steal Robert Elhai as an orchestrator.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    I used to be an action guy, but I'm now into calmer material (such as my beloved "religious sound"). Maybe it's because I'm getting older and mellower, I don't know.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can tell you that my standards in a score are tough. It needs to effective in the film, an interesting piece of stand alone music, accessible to a listener, something that as a listener I'll want to return to it again and again, professional sounding material. There aren't a lot of scores that measure up to these standards.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    I prefer filmmusic that has a clear beginning - a middle - and end. (main theme - middle - nice round up in a end title suite) It must have a couple/ a lot of strong action cues with a lot of brass, that build to a frenzy, then some quiet stuff. Must have a great theme too, and crazy smart intelligent little musical ideas woven into the score.

Total Recall is an extremely good example. The Ubersmart action score.
    Krull, Indiana Jones - Raiders... and Goldsmith's Night Crossing are very good examples too.

Don't like scores with no direction or a lack of intelligence and that only want to sound cool, "the Rock" type of music. In order words... dumb loud sonic wallpaper that just want to sound like the real thing, but is just lame.

(voor de Nederlanders: "ik-wil-wel-maar-ik-kan-niet-muziek"
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's nice to see how people look for so many different approaches to the same subject! Keep 'em coming.
  3. the music has to give you the feeling of the movie, and yet stand alone as a work of art that can move or excite you without knowing what it does in the movie.

But the best scores are when you find out something more each time you listen, like in movies details becoming noticeable makes for the best ever

+ I also like when a score goes to somewhere, if you get excited and suddenly it stops, then it doesn't deliver the blow, the climax. Then it feels like the entire build up has been for nothing. Lately I've been discovering that in a lot of scores sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    Good topic, Gardner!
    Aspects have been discussed before, especially on the Old Site, but it's something that's very worth revisiting.

As for my favourite type of score, well, it'll come as no surprise to anyone that I just want THEMES! I need something to be able to whistle to, to have a clear, preferably harmonic, structure. Something I can hang my coat on, if you know what I mean.

As for styles: I can take on anything. I love the minimalistic folk-ish stylings of Ry Cooder, I appreciate the electronic thumpings from Brian Tyler and Marco Beltrami, I enjoy the cliched brouhaha from Zimmer & co. But at the end of the day it's always the rich, lush, melodic, Romantic symphonic score that will really tug at my soul.

It's the melancholic Delerue that will break my heart. It's the jubilant Williams that makes me feel one with the stars. It's the reverent Rozsa that will make me believe.
    And that's what works for me.

And that segues nicely into the second aspect of the question: how does it work?
    I've asked myself that question for the longest time, and finally found out it's really simple: film music -at its best and purest functionality- will punctuate a certain feeling or emotion. It drives home a message the director (or even the composer in some instances) wants the audience to hear. And it simply works for me beyond the film.

A really good composer can push that button, and I won't need the action on screen to find my emotions triggered. It's a one-to-one manipulation of my feelings, and I love it.
    In many ways film music is my Happy Pill (or melancholy pill, or action pill, or religious pill, or...).
    And while it is addictive and expensive (slant), so far no ill effects on my health have been observed. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shocked kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I used to be an action guy, but I'm now into calmer material (such as my beloved "religious sound"). Maybe it's because I'm getting older and mellower, I don't know.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was thinking about my the movie that I went to on the failed date The Changeling and I would have given another 1/2 star for a better score from Eastwood.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I too like when a score has a certain narrative structure. When I feel that the introduction is heralded clearly (whether by a glorious anthem, or by a soft and moody ethereal section, whatever fits the mood), followed by the "meat" of the film's multiple acts, building to a climax, and finally brought to a recapitulative conclusion that leaves you satisfied. I think that's why having the cues presented in chronological order is usually the best way to give the score better chances of bringing a satisfying narrative feel.

Good example of a fabulous score brought down a few pegs by an unsatisfying ending: The Hunt for Red October. It's not only way too short, but I truly feel this score shouldn't have ended with a Kaboom.

Example of a score with perfect narrative: Clear and Present Danger.