• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    A fine composer commonly known for his enchanting score for THE SNOWMAN.

Seeing as there was no thread for this composer I thought this would be a good opportunity to give him his own thread and also ask you good people if anyone knows whether his score(s) to THE DUELLISTS / RIDDLE OF THE SANDS is still available anywhere?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    I don't know much about him and his music but his comments (alongside a unknown german composer) about the "Filmharmonic" concert in the latest issue of Cinema Musica are pretty strange. I'm still not sure if this article isn't actually a joke. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas wrote
    I don't know much about him and his music but his comments (alongside a unknown german composer) about the "Filmharmonic" concert in the latest issue of Cinema Musica are pretty strange. I'm still not sure if this article isn't actually a joke. biggrin

I'd like to know more about that?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas wrote

I'd like to know more about that?

- Hans Zimmer is not a composer
    - POTC an Gladiator are crap
    - Stanley Myers made a mistake as he supported Hans Zimmer
    - Orsum by Debbie Wiseman is bad, just a tired Jurassic Park clone
    - John Williams pieces like Star Wars and Jurassic Park start great but then they go nowhere; Hollywood orchestrators like Arthur Morton are the real heroes
    - The Superman march by JW is banal (I don't know another appropriate translation for "abgedroschen")
    - The Poirot theme by Christopher Gunning is a rip-off from the main theme of HB's Riddle of Sands
    - HB thaught he heared his music for Canterville Ghost in a cd shop until someone told him that this is actually from Harry Potter.
    - Ron Goodwin was a horrible person, he destroyed the film music in the UK, he was a mediocre composer
    - Paul Bateman is the worst conductor he has ever seen
    - Nic Raine was a good copyist until he discovered a market gap and produced orchestrations of John Barry pieces, but at least he doesn't conduct worse than Bateman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    confused rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For real? He will PAY for those comments about two of my favourite composers, and of course the rest of those comments! angry biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cripes!!!! shocked

I vaguely remember Blake dissing Poledouris ROBOCOP score ( Blake conducts the original soundtrack ), is he the living embodiment of Leonard Rosenman!??
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Sounds very odd. I have met Howard Blake in person and made one of my best interviews with him, but that was a long time ago - I think in 1994. But he was a very warm and nice man! We had pizza, drank red wine and discussed film music for many hours!

beer

IF he said what is mentioned above.... well, in some cases he is RIGHT, isn't he? biggrin

mc
  1. Thomas wrote
    - Ron Goodwin was a horrible person, he destroyed the film music in the UK, he was a mediocre composer
    - Paul Bateman is the worst conductor he has ever seen
    - Nic Raine was a good copyist until he discovered a market gap and produced orchestrations of John Barry pieces, but at least he doesn't conduct worse than Bateman

Something rings true - from a certain point of view - about those three propositions. Thankfully, Nic Raine has improved greatly from where he started, as most people do over the course of their professional life.

And I don't think there's any question that Arthur Morton is an unsung hero.
    The rest is all opinion, and if you're a professional composer, the music we love doesn't push your buttons so easily, so they're not so surprising.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    By the way, this article is written as a conversation between Howard Blake and Tobias van de Locht.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    This conversation is available as a pdf file

-> http://www.tobiasvandelocht.com/files/F … London.pdf
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who is Tobias?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    moviescore wrote
    Sounds very odd. I have met Howard Blake in person and made one of my best interviews with him, but that was a long time ago - I think in 1994. But he was a very warm and nice man! We had pizza, drank red wine and discussed film music for many hours!

beer

IF he said what is mentioned above.... well, in some cases he is RIGHT, isn't he? biggrin

mc

Nope.
  2. Hi together, I am Tobias. I am a German conductor, and I conducted the gala concert to celebrate HOWARD BLAKE´s 70th birthday last month (including newly arranged film suites from "Flash Gordon", "The Duellists" (to film projection), "The Riddle of the Sands", "The Bear" and "The Snowman" (for the entire programme see

http://www.tobiasvandelocht.com/neuigke … blake.html

The conversation you found in "Cinema Musica"´s November issue was recorded in May in London when Howard and I (we are friends, and we worked together for example on the film score "The Bear") visited the Filmharmonic concert there. It is not a joke, and I think he has the right to have his own ideas about filmmusic and his own opinions about Hans Zimmer, for instance. He said: "Well, he´s not a composer - he´s a sampler." Think about it - you will agree even if you like Mr Zimmer´s music.

There is a photo on which you can see me conduct "The Duellists" live to film projection - which worked marvellously at the concert.

http://www.tobiasvandelocht.com/bild/di … isten.html

If you want anything to know about Howard don´t hesitate to ask.
  3. To answer Timmer´s question about "The Duellists" and "The Riddle of the Sands": The O.S.T. CD of both scores is going to be reissued soon (as a few other items thanks to Howard´s round-number birthday), and I am going to record the new orchestral suite from "The Duellists" Howard wrote especially for my concerts. I also conducted the world premiere of two pieces for chorus and orchestra Howard originally wrote for "The Riddle" but were dropped out by the film´s director. Howard is a brilliant composer, and I strongly recommend his music to you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    Tobias van de Locht wrote
    To answer Timmer´s question about "The Duellists" and "The Riddle of the Sands": The O.S.T. CD of both scores is going to be reissued soon (as a few other items thanks to Howard´s round-number birthday), and I am going to record the new orchestral suite from "The Duellists" Howard wrote especially for my concerts. I also conducted the world premiere of two pieces for chorus and orchestra Howard originally wrote for "The Riddle" but were dropped out by the film´s director. Howard is a brilliant composer, and I strongly recommend his music to you.

Hi Tobias wave

Thanks for the info and please keep us up to date on this.

Much appreciated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008
    Tobias van de Locht wrote
    Hi together, I am Tobias. I am a German conductor, and I conducted the gala concert to celebrate HOWARD BLAKE´s 70th birthday last month (including newly arranged film suites from "Flash Gordon", "The Duellists" (to film projection), "The Riddle of the Sands", "The Bear" and "The Snowman" (for the entire programme see

http://www.tobiasvandelocht.com/neuigke … blake.html

Aw SHOOT! It's already went and gone! sad

Isn't this a wonderful time for film music though?
    I'm SO excited so many wonderful concerts are taking place!

Tobias, has there been a recording of this concert, and if so, do you have any idea if it's going to be released? I very much enjoy Blake's scores, especially that perennial favourite Flash Gordon, but the CD edits are very jarring to listen to, so I don't revisit it very often.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. There are plans to record some of Howard´s works in 2009. Please find my performances announced on my website, www.tobiasvandelocht.com