• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Here's the post for all news and discussion Sarde related.

A great composer who seems, IMO, to be seriously under valued and underrated, at least on the old board except for the odd person or so.

Mind you, there are plenty of odd people around here spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    I was just listening to PIRATES the other day, a rollicking score with hints of the Religious Sound in one of the tracks (can't remember which). What's he up to these days?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I was just listening to PIRATES the other day, a rollicking score with hints of the Religious Sound in one of the tracks (can't remember which). What's he up to these days?

I'd like to know too? I'll have to look into this.....unless someone beats me to it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    His most recent written score was for Les Témoins this year and I must say it's really good. Very appealing and full of minimalism. He's still alive and kicking....
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Joep wrote
    His most recent written score was for Les Témoins this year and I must say it's really good. Very appealing and full of minimalism. He's still alive and kicking....

Thanks for the info Joep smile

Could you recommend a good place of purchase?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Won't displat it?

I'll try again later.

Thanks Joep smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    Universal France are releasing the complete score to QUEST FOR FIRE punk

This and the Delerue 6 CD box set makes it a great time to be into French film composers cool

Now if only something new came from John Barry I'd be in scoregasmatopia
  1. QUEST FOR FIRE is a score I look forward to having a proper copy of. Wonderful intense score. One of Sarde's best.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    QUEST FOR FIRE is a score I look forward to having a proper copy of. Wonderful intense score. One of Sarde's best.

Abso-flippin-lutely Michael! punk

Unfortunately we'll probably be amongst a tiny minority who'll have any interest in this fantastic score. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    QUEST FOR FIRE is a score I look forward to having a proper copy of. Wonderful intense score. One of Sarde's best.

Unfortunately we'll probably be amongst a tiny minority who'll have any interest in this fantastic score. rolleyes

I'm in that minority as well. Wonderful score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I'm in that minority as well. Wonderful score!

-Erik-

I thought of you when I mentioned that minority Erik.

A real shame IMO that Sarde get's so little attention, he's a real composer not a souless robot(s) like we hear the majority of film score from.
  2. Of course, if we did hear more about him, we might hear more about his infamous self-plagiarism too... wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Infamous self-plagiarism?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Tim's the man who rally put me on to Sarde's work. I've seen all the positive comments for Quest For Fire and it will be interesting to hear what it's like.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I've been wondering about Sarde lately. I'm completely unfamiliar with everything he's ever done. Anyone want to give me some ideas of good scores to start with? (maybe even some that might be easy to find in the U.S.?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim's the man who rally put me on to Sarde's work. I've seen all the positive comments for Quest For Fire and it will be interesting to hear what it's like.

Did you ever get around to this one Alan? It's not the easiest of scores to listen to but repeated listens are ( as far as I'm concerned ) extremely rewarding. This score is right up there with Nascimbene's One Million Years B.C. and Benjamin Bartlett's 'Walking With...' scores as an "authentic" sound to pre-history.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    christopher wrote
    I've been wondering about Sarde lately. I'm completely unfamiliar with everything he's ever done. Anyone want to give me some ideas of good scores to start with? (maybe even some that might be easy to find in the U.S.?)

I'll get back to you on this Chris. smile
  6. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim's the man who rally put me on to Sarde's work. I've seen all the positive comments for Quest For Fire and it will be interesting to hear what it's like.

Did you ever get around to this one Alan?

I went back and listened to the audio clips - but I just didn't like them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

OH. MY. GOD!!! shocked SERIOUSLY?! shocked WOW!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

OH. MY. GOD!!! shocked SERIOUSLY?! shocked WOW!

-Erik-

I can only concur with Erik.

oh well..........
  7. confused
    Has anyone ever been to a site and listened to clips and they have been different to the actual music on the album?

I went back and listened to some audio clips at amazon.fr and these clips don't sound like the clips I heard before. I seem to recall grating wailing in a lot of the clips.

Is there much wailing in Quest For Fire?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    confused
    Has anyone ever been to a site and listened to clips and they have been different to the actual music on the album?

I went back and listened to some audio clips at amazon.fr and these clips don't sound like the clips I heard before. I seem to recall grating wailing in a lot of the clips.

Not at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    confused

Not at all.

Ya, I was like, WTF?!?! It's a purely symphonic, thematic score performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. Classic film scoring! Alan, you'll love it! Trust us! wink

-Erik-

EDIT - You should be able to hear samples HERE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    confused

Not at all.

Ya, I was like, WTF?!?! It's a purely symphonic, thematic score performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. Classic film scoring! Alan, you'll love it! Trust us! wink

-Erik-

EDIT - You should be able to hear samples HERE

There is some large choral forces in the opening track Creation of Fire ( a FANTASTIC 2 minutes IMO ), hell man, this is gonna be my next play. cool
  8. Thanks to Erik and Tim I'll take the plunge and go for Quest For Fire - I'll let you know what I think after I've listened to the whole CD!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks to Erik and Tim I'll take the plunge and go for Quest For Fire - I'll let you know what I think after I've listened to the whole CD!

beer

The new(ish) French release has 17 tracks compared to 14 on the old one ( see Erik's link )
  9. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks to Erik and Tim I'll take the plunge and go for Quest For Fire - I'll let you know what I think after I've listened to the whole CD!

beer

The new(ish) French release has 17 tracks compared to 14 on the old one ( see Erik's link )

Thanks, Tim. I noticed this. Ordered from Amazon.fr & should be here in a few days.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

beer

Thanks, Tim. I noticed this. Ordered from Amazon.fr & should be here in a few days.

Hoping that you like it and won't want to stick me n' Erik up against a wall with blindfolds on and an "any final request" wink
  10. I still don't have anything by this composer. I looked around and found some of his albums for an affordable price. Here's what I found:

Music Box
    Eve of Destruction
    Le Choc/J'ai Epouse Une Ombre
    The Tenant
    The Bear
    Le Train
    The Suitcase
    Cesar Et Rosalie
    Princeses/Un Frere
    Le Parfum de La Dame en Noir
    Sister Mary Explains it All
    Barocco
    Le Choix des Armes/Fort Saganne
    Alice and Martin
    The Manhattan Project
    7 Morts Sur Ordonnance - Le Sucre
    Le Valise
    Les Choses De La Vie - Max Et Les Ferrailleurs

There are also a few compilations out there by director that he's worked with. Any suggestions as to where I should begin? Thanks in advance.